Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,113,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
you will have to pay state income tax to BOTH Mass. and VT if you live in VT.
When I lived in NH, I got my mail at a P.O. box at the nearest post office -- just over the border in Winchendon Springs, MA. This turned out to be a huge mistake because I had to defend my right to pay taxes ONLY in NH (where I lived and worked). So much for convenience. I got a glimpse of how much more expensive life would be if I really did live in one state and work in another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 PM

159 posts, read 402,906 times
You will not pay income tax in both states, if you work in Mass you will have to pay income tax there, when you file Vermonts taxes you get to deduct any state taxes paid in another state, at least that's the way I remember it unless it's changed. With Vermonts hunger for tax revenue they just might double tax you. If you commute long distance remember what gas prices were last summer, they will rise again as soon as the economy starts to pick up.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,680 times
ex-springfielder is right you don't pay twice but you end paying at the higher rate. If MA was 5% and VT 8% you would pay 5% to MA and 3% to VT.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,001,546 times
If you own a gun, you do not want to live in Massachusetts.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
If you own a gun, you do not want to live in Massachusetts.
It ain't great but the permitting process in MA isn't that bad. Although it varies depending on the town you live in as the police chief has the power to turn gun permits down for any reason. Regardless the OP has a job in MA.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,001,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It ain't great but the permitting process in MA isn't that bad. Although it varies depending on the town you live in as the police chief has the power to turn gun permits down for any reason. Regardless the OP has a job in MA.
The fact there is a permitting process at all makes it terrible. Bratt isn't that far from Springfield. If it was me, I would not live in Massachusetts. If that issue isn't important, then the areas north of Springfield are nice.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,800,237 times
Check out Granby and Belchertown--nice rural towns right next to Westover. Save yourself the long drive. Wilbraham is good too. South Hadley is a little more built up, more suburban--the Center is beautiful and the Falls only OK. Amherst (over the mountain from S H and Granby) has top schools and very academic/liberal/progressive atmosphere with two colleges and the state university but a really fun downtown for you and the kids. Longmeadow, MA is the most "northshore" like town in the area, not as wealthy as Winnetka but... Northampton has the best scene in the area--shops, cafes, performing arts, movies--all in a cozy walking atmosphere. A larger Brattleboro, although without the great Brattleboro food coop!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

234 posts, read 1,266,187 times
Mustmove is right about the taxes, I didn't explain it correctly -- you don't pay income tax to Mass AND then pay the full tax payment again to Vermont.

You would have to pay the difference to Vermont if Mass tax rates are lower than VT.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The fact there is a permitting process at all makes it terrible. Bratt isn't that far from Springfield. If it was me, I would not live in Massachusetts. If that issue isn't important, then the areas north of Springfield are nice.
To each their own. One of things that always made me paranoid was going back and forth from gun friendly states to non-gun friendly states. Because of the possibility of leaving something illegal in the car and then driving into the forbidden zone. Hard to forget where your guns are but ammo requires a permit in some states and it is plausible to have some somewhere in your vehicle. So if the OP is a gun enthusiast and will be driving back and forth every day it would be a good idea to get a nonresident MA permit anyway.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,840,682 times
The drive roundtrip from the Brattleboro area will be 120 miles so time and cost considerations should be looked at. I 91 is a nice straight shot, but winter issues could add quite a bit of time to the commute as anywhere up here. Taxes and gun laws aside, another factor regarding employment at Westover is the question if this is permanent position or defined term contract slot. Quite a bit of work for the Feds and DoD falls into this criteria. Looking for a rental perhaps in the area would give you time to really check all of your future options. I've been to Westover a couple of times and personally would not really want to relocate to Springfield, but in my travels I found some very nice areas especially west of I 91. The Berkshires can be just as scenic and rural as areas in Vt and you will be surprised how hilly and curvy the roads can be there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont