U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,129,560 times
Default Kudos to Vermont Captain

Seems the captain of the Maersk cargo ship, American flagged and crewed by 20+ US personnel, is from Underhill, Vt. For those following the news this vessel was overtaken by Somali pirates 400 miles off shore and the crew has regained control of the ship. Unbelievable that while operating in one of the most critical shipping lanes in the world this vessel carries no ability to repel attacks despite the ongoing history of hostilities in the region with frequent incidents of vessels being taken for ransom. Even more unbelievable is that that the US Navy claims to be several days away from reaching this vessel operating in a known region of pirate attacks. Good job Captain Richard Phillips.Maybe Obama, Biden, and Gates will take this as a wakeup call to refocus our assets to protect vital shipping and safeguard our seaborne assets and lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,780,177 times
msnbc.com is reporting that the captain is still being held hostage....

Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM

I sure hope things work out. An earlier report indicated they regained control of the ship and even had custody of one of the pirates. After this I sure hope we dedicate the assets to secure our flagged vessels and crew while operating in the region. Bad enough we are escalating a war in landlocked country with already very risky land resupply routes, but if we cannot control the sea lanes of the region then we will be in serious trouble.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM

47 posts, read 65,853 times
As an old Maersk employee, we have a very good private security force that is on par with elite military forces. I certainly hope he lives to see another day.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM

5,240 posts, read 3,403,879 times
Very sad and scary indeed!
My heart and best wishes goes out to the Family.
Too bad some news channels thought gay marriages were more important than this.
Sad commentary all about money I guess.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Very sad and scary indeed!
My heart and best wishes goes out to the Family.
Too bad some news channels thought gay marriages were more important than this.
Sad commentary all about money I guess.
So far it's looking OK for Capt Phillips. He from accounts by his family is a unique guy with good wits and a strong sense of humor which goes a long way in dealing with adversity. Regarding the media, well Americans are being fed a diet of visual and mental garbage 24/7. We put more emphasis on what certain people wear or they perform on American Idol, etc, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
Thumbs up Sure hope Captain Phillips is rescued

I'm a captain too, and a native Vermonter, and have spent time in Venezuela. Sometimes it can get a bit hairy.

How our new government reacts to this and similar incidents will be defining moments. I have more faith in the captain than our government, unfortunately.

Again, best of luck, captain!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM

5,240 posts, read 3,403,879 times
Such awesome news!

Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates, official says - CNN.com

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,058,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post

WHEW! I've been checking this story every time I walk by my computer. What a relief. His wife and family must just be overwhelmed with joy and relief. Captain Phillips' heroism, good judgment, and safe release have put Underhill on the map in a wonderful way.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM

12,975 posts, read 1,888,499 times
What a memorable Easter for his family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont