U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 12:38 PM
 
3,042 posts, read 5,884,444 times
Reputation: 1094
VT fishman:

exactly. I wonder, just wonder what one of these flatlanders, we call them carpetbaggers, so called progressive, open minded, liberal, socialist (whatever we want to call them) would do if one of US, native VT or a RED Stater or Conservative would do if we moved into say Brooklyn or Burlington now, and took over city council--started implementing our ideas as social experiments, like no taxes on social programs, cutting taxes way down, stopping unions, ending gay unions and marriage, ending abortion,stopping regulations on businesses, stopping environmental policies, funding church based programs, they would be screaming "Fascism", they would be doing shouting about what about our rights, what about sovereignty, about fairness and equality.

they assume its alright from them to push themselves on you, but not the other way around. I know, i was one of them
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Vermont
89 posts, read 221,575 times
Reputation: 29
Hmmm...so if I take the job in VT the flatlanders wouldn't like my God fearing conservative values???

What you mean redistribution of wealth doesn't work.....what a concept!!! I originally hail from Canada and can give you many many examples of failed socialism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,628,189 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8mi View Post
Hmmm...so if I take the job in VT the flatlanders wouldn't like my God fearing conservative values???
'Flatlanders' really means, " I need someone to blame for something
I dont like and know nothing about"
In the rural areas people are very conservative. Despite the
ponderdous 'liberal-socialist-kommie' rhetoric, Vermont has
had a republican governer in an era where a republican administration
has created a monumental class divide and bloated the ranks of the
poor. What do they think is going to happen in a rural, ag/service
based economy ??
Its much easier for people to say "Flatlanders wrecked Vermont' than
be bothered by the facts.
All of the people who are bothered by the McMansions being built by
out-of-staters might want to look at who was second on Douglas's
campaign contribution list as a start. All states are suffering the
current state of bad economic affairs to some degree. A state like
Vermont, where only its median income is smaller than its population,
is going to get hit very hard.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 AM
 
Location: Harwich, Massachusetts
17 posts, read 106,142 times
Reputation: 49
Why does every state have to put jobs over the environment? Can't there be just one dang place in this entire country where preservation comes first? Vermont is different. Quirky. Odd. That's cool.

The whole dirty world is becoming one big concrete condo complex. Viva Vermont! I can't afford to retire there anymore, but Viva Vermont! anyway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 AM
 
3,042 posts, read 5,884,444 times
Reputation: 1094
because we cant eat environment, we cant feed our families, heat our homes, if we dont have good jobs(which everyone is always complaining about losing to overseas) and just have clean environment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
 
Location: hinesburg, vt
1,574 posts, read 3,184,990 times
Reputation: 366
I just heard an amusing story out of Belgium where it has been determined that use of barbeques contributes to greenhouse gasses and thus the government will tax use of said barbeques to the tune of $27.00 US equiv. It gets better. The government plans to use helicopter patrols with thermal imaging to catch violators. I wonder how much one hour of flight time consumes in fuel in relation to how many barbeques it would take to equal emissions. The scary part is that I am sure with no doubt that some of our legislators in Montpelier will take note of this and explore it's feasability for future use here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
198 posts, read 572,605 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I just heard an amusing story out of Belgium where it has been determined that use of barbeques contributes to greenhouse gasses and thus the government will tax use of said barbeques to the tune of $27.00 US equiv. It gets better. The government plans to use helicopter patrols with thermal imaging to catch violators. I wonder how much one hour of flight time consumes in fuel in relation to how many barbeques it would take to equal emissions. The scary part is that I am sure with no doubt that some of our legislators in Montpelier will take note of this and explore it's feasability for future use here.
Great...it is already bad enough that they are talking about not allowing woodburning stoves (tomorrow it should hit the floor). Where does it end? When you are "force-fed" so much of this it really makes you not want to comply with any of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Vermont
1,434 posts, read 4,451,042 times
Reputation: 407
I realize that a lot of people get frustrated over how "tree-hugging environmentalists" try to muck up corporate and other financial interests.

Does it occur to them that such shortsightedness will harm their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and beyond? The economy they will inherit will be much worse if the environment is neglected. Their health will be compromised by pollution of air, water and food. Many will not make ANY money because environmentally-induced illness will make them unable to work.

There needs to be some sort of compromise. Economic interests are important, but the environment is important for everyone, now and in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
198 posts, read 572,605 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I realize that a lot of people get frustrated over how "tree-hugging environmentalists" try to muck up corporate and other financial interests.

Does it occur to them that such shortsightedness will harm their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and beyond? The economy they will inherit will be much worse if the environment is neglected. Their health will be compromised by pollution of air, water and food. Many will not make ANY money because environmentally-induced illness will make them unable to work.

There needs to be some sort of compromise. Economic interests are important, but the environment is important for everyone, now and in the future.
I agree with compromise. But "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" gets really old after awhile. And unfortunately, the legislators here make new laws quickly based on a theory before they take the time to realize the long lasting effects.

Last edited by pucabear; 04-05-2007 at 10:01 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
mjm
 
Location: Nebraska
19 posts, read 36,957 times
Reputation: 16
Because it is the most amazing state in the union, and needs to stay that way. It is well worth paying for, and the high cost keeps people away...which is one of the best things about it...you can be out in the total wilderness and yet only a couple of hours from New York & Boston & Hartford, etc. Trust me, people from the low-cost midwest definitely see the benefits of moving to Vermont.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top