Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A lot of people go under the radar too so I suspect the real figure would be 2 or 3 times what the stats show.

Probably so. Even if the estimate is three times as high as the statistic, it's still only 28.2%, or just over a quarter, of Vermonters in the workforce. Still a far cry from "everybody in Vermont works two or more jobs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 36,322 times
So I've got some insight ... I have lived in BOTH Bellows Falls and Saxtons River. I only lived in Bellows Falls for a couple months this summer while in limbo.

I miss living in Saxons River actually. I spent three years there when my husband and I first married and we owned our first home there. It is an extremely charming town. Like someone before mentioned, Vermont Academy is in town and is a good school. My husband went to high school there and, quite honestly, got a much better education than his six siblings or my many nieces and nephews that have attended Bellows Falls Union High School. Can you believe they don't even have walls between the classrooms at their high school? This is what I have been told anyhow. I can't see how that would be conducive to learning, especially for those that are easily distracted, like myself.

Not to completely bash Bellows Falls, as there has certainly been a huge effort to revamp the town and there are many fine businesses there, including some great hiking trails and a really cool farmer's market, but it still has a ways to come. In the summer, you will see teenagers pushing baby carriages around on Atkinson Street or downtown. There seem to be a higher incidence of teenage pregnancy for some reason. My husband and I own an apartment building in town and finding good tenants has been a challenge. Of course, the property prices are a lot lower, which is why we own the building in town in the first place.

Saxtons River has a quaint little center and a nice general store run by Avril and Bob Thomson, who also own the Saxtons River Inn, two great places you will frequent if you happen to choose SR as your next destination to live. Also, there is a fantastic 4th of July parade every year right in downtown. All the neighboring villages attend - not to mention the fireworks display that evening.

Well, anyway, hope this was helpful. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,792 times
I too am thinking of moving to Vermont, souther VT. Wondering what life will be like....

Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,103 times
Well, a little late to this forum maybe, because there is no "maybe" about it. My wife and I are moving to Vt. I'll take this chance to introduce myself to the forum. We have lived on Long Island all our lives, I will be retired as of March 1st., and we are in the process of purchasing a house in the Bennington area.

Why and how did Vermont come about? Well, we actually had plans for a long time to relocate out in northern NM when I retire - for the mountains, to be close to nature, for the laid back lifestyle, and very much for the adobe architecture - we liked the high ceilings with wooden beams, and the use of natural elements in the buildings. Homes there had a "natural" feel that we were drawn to. Man plans, God laughs... because any plans we had of relocating 2000 miles away all changed last August when we became grandparents for the first time. Our kids and our granddaughter are in NYC, and we pretty much drew an imaginary circle on the map, with a radius of a reasonable 3 or 4 hour drive from them. So after looking at internet real estate sites in areas from Pennsylvania, NJ, upstate NY, Massachussetts... I started to consider southern Vermont.

Its been ages, but we used to spend a lot of time up in Vermont skiing. Over the past dozen or so years I've mostly skied out in the Rockies, and almost forgot how beautiful we always found Vermont when we traveled up that way when we were younger, or about how we considered it an impossible dream to ever live there. We also remember that even in the midst of a National forest, surrounded as it were, with nature, and able to enjoy seclusion and privacy - there is a vibrant and comfortable civility and culture in the many small towns tucked into the mountains. I've been to many rural areas that had plenty of privacy, but without the proximity of a decent small town or city to provide a cultural balance. Vermont has always appealed to me for providing a nice balance between secluded privacy out in nature - with civilized comfort not far down the road. we were also looking to escape the high taxes in NY - it turns out that our property taxes in Vermont will be about half of what they are on Long Island, another important factor for us heading into retirement.

So we started out looking at log cabins, but found something quite different on a secluded private street in Bennington. Everything we were looking for - high ceilings, a decent sized lot about 1.5 acres, set on a secluded cul-de-sac surrounded by woods. close enough for the kids to take a weekend drive up, or for us to take a drive down to see them or our friends in NY.

I only just found this Vermont forum today, and i've been enjoying reading all the different perspectives on what will very soon be our new home. We should be moved in up there sometime in late March. Looking forward to learning more as I go and hopefully relating some of it here with some new friends.

Mike

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewMike4Vt View Post
I only just found this Vermont forum today, and i've been enjoying reading all the different perspectives on what will very soon be our new home. We should be moved in up there sometime in late March. Looking forward to learning more as I go and hopefully relating some of it here with some new friends
Mike, congratulations on becoming a grandparent and on getting ready to move! I'm fond of Bennington. I worked there frequently in 2008 and 2009 and enjoyed the town's beauty and the wonderful people I got to spend time with. I hope you feel comfortably at home there very soon.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,030 times
My husband & I are moving to Burlington area. We were going to wait two more years but I don't think I can stay in N.J. another year. Trying to get my fiber business up & running to teach when we move. Everything I want & need is in Vermont, everything. I've been going to Vermont all my life & at 59, daughter in college, hubby not well I need to do it now. I want him to enjoy life. The cost of living isn't any worse then in jersey, we have one od the highest cost of living in the country.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfleurcotage View Post
Trying to get my fiber business up & running to teach when we move. Everything I want & need is in Vermont, everything.

You probably know about the very active fiber arts community in Vermont in New England. Friends of ours are involved and it seems like a great network of creative folks with lots of camaraderie.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

yes and I cant wait!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM

I can't help but think at some point in your life you really need to do the thing you've thought & dreamed of your whole life. Some people can't understand why at this age (59) I'd want to pick up & move. Why I want to leave family & friends. I've worked hard all my life & always since I can remember, I wanted to live in Vermont & do exactly what I'm moving there to do. Weave, handspin & teach it. For years I put it off, first to marry, then raise my family then hubby got ill etc. etc..... If I don't go now, It will never happen & I believe we can make our lives what we want at any age. Moving to Vermont is a dream that very soon will be a reality, my reality and I can't wait.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfleurcotage View Post
I can't help but think at some point in your life you really need to do the thing you've thought & dreamed of your whole life. Some people can't understand why at this age (59) I'd want to pick up & move. Why I want to leave family & friends. I've worked hard all my life & always since I can remember, I wanted to live in Vermont & do exactly what I'm moving there to do. Weave, handspin & teach it. For years I put it off, first to marry, then raise my family then hubby got ill etc. etc..... If I don't go now, It will never happen & I believe we can make our lives what we want at any age. Moving to Vermont is a dream that very soon will be a reality, my reality and I can't wait.
I'm not sure if you have been to the Burlington area yet. A few questions about your goals. Are you looking for land for animals or to shear your own animals? Land in Chittenden county is expensive and if you can afford to purchase the land, it can be tough to get enough land in this area. There are areas 20-30 outside of Burlington where larger lots could be purchased. Are you looking to make a living from the fiber arts? There are several yarn and fiber businesses in the area. My wife is a big knitter and took several classes on spinning yarn within the past year. If it's just a hobby you want to do and share, then the area should be fine for you.
I am not discouraging your move to Burlington. You may do fine in your venture. Other areas of Vermont don't offer the shops and classes that are offered in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont