Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM

38 posts, read 159,609 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 2005 grad. of Lebanon Valley College with a B.S. in elementary and special education. I am currently PA Certified in both el. ed (k-6) and special ed. (k-12). I am currently looking at moving north from my home in PA and was just looking to see what advice I could get from anyone about teaching in/moving to Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire. I have sent my information to a number of schools in the past few weeks and am playing the waiting game now.

The job I have for this school year (2006-2007 school year) is not a full-time possition, but has allowed me to save some money for a move. The area in which I live is a hotbed of teachers, making a full-time salary job hard to come by. Plus, being a young guy who loves the outdoors and winter months, the Northeast is very attractive. Any answers/input on the following questions would be a huge help.

1. How is the job market for teachers in these states?
2. What parts of the states should I be looking for jobs?
3. I have been looking some at home prices and some parts are high, while others are low by central PA standards. Any good places for a kid just starting out?

I have been reviewing school websites as well as SchoolSprings, and Serving Schools.com to get information. I will also be attending a Maine Job fair in late April. I'm hoping that with my special ed. certification I will at least be able to get my foot in the door.

I greatly appreciate any and all of your thoughts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM

122 posts, read 457,236 times
I think it will be much easier to find a job in SE than in an elementary classroom. I graduated in '96 with a BA in Elementary Ed and never did get a job in a classroom here in VT, despite MANY attemts. It's VERY difficult. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM

198 posts, read 800,691 times
The special education is definitely a plus. Honestly, the best way to get in is to work your way in. When I moved here from out of state, I took a long term art substitute position. I have a degree in elementary, but they needed someone. So, I did it and ended up with a full-time first grade position the next year. Even if you have to sub, choose an area and do it. That is the only way schools get to know you and appreciate what you have to offer.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:35 AM

Thanks to both of you for the information/advice. Can anyone tell me when Vermont Schools normally tend to interview? I know here in Pennsylvania it is either before the end of the school year or later in July.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslvc19 View Post
Thanks to both of you for the information/advice. Can anyone tell me when Vermont Schools normally tend to interview? I know here in Pennsylvania it is either before the end of the school year or later in July.
Once the school budget has passed in the town (most have at this point). Most take place between now and the end of the school year (mid-June). There could also be a few last minute in the summer.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,092 times
My sister got a position as a math teacher at Williamstown High School directly out of UVM. In fact, she got to choose where she wanted to teach (she was offered 3 positions).

Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolator22 View Post
My sister got a position as a math teacher at Williamstown High School directly out of UVM. In fact, she got to choose where she wanted to teach (she was offered 3 positions).
She had a few things going for her: 1. They are always looking for math teachers. 2. She went to UVM.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 AM

Those are two great points. I'm hoping that my special ed. certification will be a help in getting an interview. However, what are you opinions on being an out-of-state teacher? Do most schools try to hire VT natives, or does the need for teachers in the state force schools to look out of state?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslvc19 View Post
Those are two great points. I'm hoping that my special ed. certification will be a help in getting an interview. However, what are you opinions on being an out-of-state teacher? Do most schools try to hire VT natives, or does the need for teachers in the state force schools to look out of state?
I think it is true that no matter where you go, people will hire who they know. But I definitely believe the special education will help you. The state is advertising for "minority" teachers right now, which I find interesting. And remember, if you go somewhere and really prove that you are a hot commodity, you will find a job. I can give you tips on that as well, if you are interested.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,233,785 times
I don't think it's so much that schools want to hire VT natives, it's just that the schools see their prospective teachers when they are doing their student teaching. When people say this is a small state, it's for real. Chances are if you are a UVM student and you do your student teaching in say, Underhill, and you're going for a job in a different town, chances are your prospective employer will know your old boss, your cousin, or something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont