Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 27,563 times

Advertisements

We are now living in nh and would like to move to vermont. We are looking into hinesburg vt. I would like to know how are the schools and people and taxes. thank you for your help

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
Why? What's VT got that NH doesn't that is significant enough to move a family?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Hinesburg is a nice community about 20 minutes outside of Burlington. It's mostly rural but does have some new suburban-style neighborhoods. There is a nice small grocery in town, a small coffee shop and a couple good restaurants. NRG Systems is located in town and is probably the biggest employer (the schools may have them beat).
Hinesburg Community School has a good rep as does Champlain Valley Union HS.
Do you have a job lined up? If not, I'd probably stay put. Don't move without a job lined up unless you have significant savings to fall back on.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Coming from NH, the taxes and lack of jobs will shock you. It's rather shocking the differences in the economic situations of two otherwise fairly similar states. All related to politics.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Coming from NH, the taxes and lack of jobs will shock you. It's rather shocking the differences in the economic situations of two otherwise fairly similar states. All related to politics.
All related to politics, with the exception of the section of NH that is basically metro Boston. Obviously there is far more opportunity in the sections of southern NH along I-93 than there are in Vermont.
BTW, its not like conservatism is perfect. There are plenty of very conservative states in the southeast and interior west that are in really, really rough shape economically.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,438 times
"Should my family move to Vermont"?

Let me put it this way.
I'm from VT, but I've realized that if I want to do anything other than work temp jobs for $10 an hour, I have to leave the state.
In case you were wondering, I have a bachelor's degree, a solid work history, and no criminal convictions.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Default Some random thoughts from a family GETTING out of VT.

It's not just the lack of jobs. I am not sure about 'VT' as a whole but the more I listen and get the scoop from people I find out that drugs are very, very bad here.

My husband has been told the same by some co-workers who grew up here.

Where I am from, hell yeah, there were drugs but you just avoided them. It was definitely looked down upon to be a burn out. I have never touched a cigarette or illegal drug in my life and I have 'been around' (college, grad school, moved to various places).

The problem is people in their 30s-50s are users and now their kids are being brought up a little pot or whatever is okay. If you want to raise your kid in a permissive drug environment, that is great, but I don't.

I was over in Concord, NH the other day, which is not the epic center of the world but it is a world of difference from 'most of' Vermont. People seem cleaner, and there is less of the stoner culture.

A long timer hear told me some pretty shocking things recently and I am 100% committed to getting out of Vermont before my son gets mixed up with some of the wackos here.

A good place to move your family? Well,
1. Lack of jobs. Long term people with roots here being fired/laid off with no hope in hell of getting anything.

2. Poor economy.

3. Stoner culture encouraged

4. A population of people who spend most times watching tv (inferior libraries)

5. The weather....

6. Cost of living is high for 'what you get.' I am 2 hours from a real city. Why should my rent be so high? Why are taxes outrageous here?

Like I said, this is NOT all of Vermont or nor will it be your experience, but I am not waiting here much longer.

It just sucks the economy is so poor all over now.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM

400 posts, read 849,535 times
Gypsy you've actually just stumbled upon the secret of Vermont! The reason real estate is so expensive despite no one having any jobs is that most residents are buying expensive houses and filling them with hydroponic grow operations. Then they harvest and sell the weed, launder the profits through a 'green' energy company, a small cheese maker operation or whatever else the legislature as designated the current pet of the week and get some tax credits. Then they pay themselves a tiny salary to keep their property taxes rebate high and avoid paying the giant income tax.

:P

My wife and I like to joke that the Bugbee insulation truck we see everywhere seemingly every day while driving to work isn't actually delivering insulation, but is actually making home deliveries of a very special "Vermont" product. I mean, how much insulation do Vermonters need? :P

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
Worked for Ben and Jerry except their cover business accidentally grew.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM

325 posts, read 705,826 times
The drug situation is out of control in Vermont. I had my apartment building burned by the owner because they were prescription junkies and I lost everything.

Do not move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont