U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ok, I gotta know what a maple dumpling is........
It's a French Canadian desert. You take a pot of maple syrup (has to be real) and boil it. You then pour in bisquit batter (perferably from scratch but Bisquick works allright too). The syrup cooks the batter, and you end up with maple saturated dumplings in concentrated syrup (its sort of like a really thick liquid). You serve it while still hot, best with whip cream or vanilla ice cream. It is incredibly sweet, and very filling. I don't know about leftovers though- none has ever survived the first meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM

275 posts, read 1,187,450 times
Oh man! I gotta get some of that.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,030 times
Hey wait... don't forget the Fried Dough at The Champlain Valley Fair!

How's about the Chilles Rellenos at Penny Cluse?

Fresh corn on the cob from the farmers market.

Vt Morning hot breakfast cereal.

Vt Coffee Company coffee - or Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Harvard Blend...

Vt Velvet Cheese Cake! (Do they still make that? I'm gonna have to check...)

Or how about the world famous prize winning cheeses Vermonters (both 2 and 4 footed) make with increasing success.

Snow Farms Winery SEYVAL, which is pretty much the only white wine I'd drink more than a swallow of...

And Monument Farms Full Fat Chocolate milk which I occasionally see in a corner store in half pints that (even though I can ordinarily take or leave chocolate, and rarely drink milk) will bring strong men to thier knees, and make women swoon...

Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,030 times
Actually, Cold Hollow Cider may be my favorite VT food. And it's certainly my favorite food to watch being made. Come to think of it, ANY fresh VT apple cider is good. And then there are all the cider jellies, cider jams, cider mustards, etc...I'm drooling...sorry...

Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
mjm

19 posts, read 49,119 times
The cheddar, of course. Particularly love the Grafton Village 1 year old. And all of the maple products, and Ben and Jerry's, and Woodchuck cider...all of my favorite foods for years before I was even within 1500 miles of VT, you can imagine how impressed and excited I was when I got there. And outside of Brattleboro, on Upper Dummerston Rd, I believe, a candy place who's name I don't recall, makes the best chocolates ever! I brought home lots of syrup on my last trip so that I could try sugar on snow in the winter...now THAT is really something!!! I'd give up my Nebraska beef any day for some vermont cheese and maple syrup!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,075,274 times
anything on the menu at the Putney diner, went their last weekend, the cutest and sweetest waitress was there and served me a great moms meatlof and mashed potatoes

pop over there today and say hi

Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 AM

234 posts, read 1,148,770 times
tis the season (or just shortly passed)

maple sugar on snow ----- with a big green dill pickle to cut the sweetness. Really

corn fritters with maple syrup.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 AM

275 posts, read 1,187,450 times
Dill pickle? Really? So does one have to be pregnant to enjoy this sweet and sour treat?

Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM

17,739 posts, read 53,869,694 times
The sour is to give the mouth a break from the almost sickeningly sweet thickened syrup. Back when I went to school and the kids were treated to field trips to the sugarhouses in the spring, it wasn't uncommon to have a few of them throwing up because of the intense blast of sugar, wet heat from the evaporator pan, and bumpy bus ride. I doubt many 8 year olds were pregnant, although some might have been pre-diabetic.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 PM

8 posts, read 52,389 times
Thumbs up Great eating in Brattleboro

I'm from the Brattleboro area. Here are my very favorite places to eat in Brattleboro-
The New England House
Anon's Thai Food (fried yams, chicken sticks, and veggie curry pies are the best. Anon's comes to the Farmer's Market in Brattleboro on Sat. and Wed. from Mermorial Day to October.) They also have a restaurant on Fairground Rd. off exit 1 on Interstate 91.
Amy's Bakery is the best bakery located in downtown
Backside Cafe (breakfast all day, strawberry pancakes are my favorite)
Marina (sometimes slow but great food)
The Brattleboro food coop has a huge selection of food in their deli and is very good.
For formal dining, Peter Havens is by far the best. Located on Elliot St. You should call for reservations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont