Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,130,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadess1 View Post
well I said if i had to stay in florida i would have moved to jacksonville because it is so close to st augustine and savannah and atlanta.

I
love St. Augustine. If I could stand FL weather, there was a time when I might actually have considered living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM

16 posts, read 34,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I love St. Augustine. If I could stand FL weather, there was a time when I might actually have considered living there.
I think alot of people would theres a place on the gulf called Cedar Key about an hour from Gainesville that you should see its an artsy place with lots of antique shops. Very laid back

Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,130,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3heatherns View Post
I think alot of people would theres a place on the gulf called Cedar Key about an hour from Gainesville that you should see its an artsy place with lots of antique shops. Very laid back

Thanks! I've heard of Cedar Key but have never been there (you'd expect a native Floridian to vacation in FL? ;-)). I have an uncle in Gainesville. Maybe next winter would be a good time to visit.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Default Cedar Key

My kids and I take every opportunity to go there. Theres a hotel there called Faraway Inn. Very pet and family friendly. All guests have free use of their Kayaks, Canoes, and Bicycles. You can rent golf-carts or bicycles to get around. You can always drive also however there is limited parking

Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3heatherns View Post
How far of a drive is that from St Augustine? I would like to set out and explore new areas of FL when I visit my parents.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM

274 posts, read 673,594 times
I'm betting $ that you'll love it. We have some nice summer days ahead! And frost tonight...go figure!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 PM

88 posts, read 182,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I'm betting $ that you'll love it. We have some nice summer days ahead! And frost tonight...go figure!

oooh frost its still 90 freaking degrees here... ick!!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 45,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Have you considered either Maine or New Hampshire? They have all that Vermont has. Taxes
also are somewhat cheaper in New Hampshire.
I have lived in Burlington Vermont my entire life (23 years) and I have been to all surrounding areas... NY NH ME CT RI MA... nothing compares!! If you need a change from the heat and "strip mall" atmosphere it may be the place for you.

I do agree with many of the people that said that you should visit the area first (especially in the winter). It gets extremely cold for a good 5-6 months of the year. I have lived in the mountains and it gets up to -40 sometimes!! People who say there is nothing to do in the winter are also wrong... skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, sledding.. and more. There is a an incredible fall season with beautiful foliage and the summers are to die for!! Burlington is right on the water and lake champlain is one of a kind.. beautiful sunsets and some great beaches too. The city itself is great.. tons of shops restaurants live music bars etc. You definitely need to find a job ahead of time... it is a small area so everyone knows everyone and it may be difficult to find a job quickly and easily. The rent isn't too bad.. if you have a roommate it would be a better price. Also, commuting into Burlington from surronding towns is no big deal. Hope this helps!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:07 AM

137 posts, read 407,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How far of a drive is that from St Augustine? I would like to set out and explore new areas of FL when I visit my parents.
I would guess it would be at least three hours from St. Augustine. There are some very interesting places to see in Florida. Unfortunately, Florida has been overtaken by the Mouse and most people forget about rural parts of the state (although "rural" here is not quite like NEK rural!) If you are the outdoorsy type that likes kayaking, swimming, hiking, etc, there are TONS of things to do. There are some beautiful, clear as glass, rivers and springs throughout Florida. Some of them are far off the beaten path but once you get there it is wonderful. I have a lot of pictures of the springs and rivers but posting Florida pictures on the Vermont forum would probably be some sort of rule violation

Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Its a three hour drive. But the previous poster is correct as well....google Ocala National Forest it should have mention of several springs. Some of the clearest water i've ever seen. A trip to Silver springs would give you an idea but it's quite crowded during the summer. I guess being billed as "Natures Theme Park" helps lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont