U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 31,090 times

Advertisements

I am going to be living in St. Albans, VT in less than a month for at least 8 months. I am doing a rotational program at Energizer there. I am 27 and lived in a suburb of Chicago my whole life. But, I was stationed in Bremerton, WA when I was in the Navy and I love the outdoors (i.e. hiking and snowboarding) what is the nightlife like in St. Albans? I also signed up for the Green Mountain Marathon. Has anyone done or heard it and could tell me how it's like? If it's possible I would like to hear some bad stuff. I was reading some other blogs and I guess there is a drug problem and theft problem (which is small to suburb chicago crimes) . I just want to know what I am getting myself into. How is the scuba diving in Lake Champlaign? I am really curious how life is like in St. Albans. Any info would be awesome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
Nightlife in St. Albans? None. It's a small town. Good news though...you've got Montreal about an hour north (make sure to get a passport, passport card, or enhanced DL) and Burlington about 1/2 hour south. You may want to consider living in Burlington and doing the commute. It's a much more fun place for a single twenty-something.
Not sure about the marathon you mention. I know the "big one" is the Vermont City Marathon which is coming up Memorial Day Weekend in Burlington.
Not sure about scuba diving in Champlain, but there is a dive shop in Burlington on Maple Street (I think it's Maple). If you google, I'm sure you can find it. They might be able to give you some good info.
There is a Rail/Trail in St. Albans which looks fun (never been on it) and you 've got great skiing/boarding nearby. You shouldnt have a problem finding outdoor activities to do.
Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM

17,854 posts, read 54,134,324 times
Hee Hee! Night life in St Albans! <chuckle> Good wun. You could watch them roll up the streets for the night, I suppose. There might be a hard drinking contest at the VFW, but VTER is right, go to Montreal or Burlington for night life and have a designated driver.

Diving in any Vermont lake is COLD! The thermocline is close to the surface and doesn't get stirred up much. Also, the water weeds get worse each year. There are some wrecks to dive (I think they haven't removed them all, but some are pretty deep) and the history of the lake is fascinating.

Hi thee down to the Shelburne Museum, visit the Ticonderoga, and check out the books in the gift shop. If you like the outdoors and you like water, Vermont has some nice canoeing and kayaking spots.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM

24 posts, read 95,787 times
Here is what I can offer you......I was born and raised in Boston, and have lived in majopr cities my whole life, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Philadelphia, etc. However, during my college years I was in Vermont. Night life in Saint Albans is non existant. Its a peaceful and small town squarely between Burlington and Montreal.

Outside of local bars (which you won't be writing home about) the local library, and small businesses, there isn't much there. However, Burlington, for being the smallest state capital in the country has some decent things going on. There is a decent bar scene if you are a social drinker, and Lake Champlain is beautiful. However, for any sense of culture whatsoever, Montreal is your best bet.

What you will find about Vermont is that it is a world unto itself. Few people raised there ever end up living anywhere else because their pace of life is very slow, unorthadox, and measured. I met alot of great people there, and saw some things in nature that cannot be offered anywhere else in the country, but I must admit, that some of the rumors are true. The "singles" scene is minimal at best unless you are someone who enjoys idealistic collegiate liberals, and everything you have heard about flannel shirts, maple syrup, and hippies are all true. Like I said, I met alot of great people, but I could have never lived there after my college years. You have to truly love Vermont to be a part of it, and it is a very private state where the people truly treasure their own.

Best of luck.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 31,090 times
I really appreciate the info. Thank you so much. If you guys have anything thats really fun to do in VT that you won't see on websites, please let me know. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
Just as an FYI, Montpelier is the capitol of VT, not Burlington.
Welcome to VT and good luck with your move!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 17,963 times
sit in the park in the snow and watch cars go by.........! fun

Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 14,275 times
I moved to VT almost a year ago from a city close to MA. At first I was going insane, the people are really different up here then the normal people. I is the women stay home and keep house and the men work. I am married and in my mid 20's with no kids. At first I didnt think there was much to do around here until recently. I hike Hardak often, there are so many trails up there and it is safe enough for me to go by myself, not something I would have even thought about in the city. There isnt much in St. Albans City, we went to the maple festival and just left. The people were a little odd looking and there wasnt much to do there. There arent a lot of jobs in St. Albans either. They do have a local hospital which is a plus. They also have some really good restaurants. I have gone to Mimos which was fantastic, I want to go to Jeff's seafood as I have heard wonderful things about them as well. There are talks about building a walmart in St Albans, although I am not a fan of walmart, it would be nice to have something here so that we dont have to go to Burlington for it. But we recently have started to go for rides around and have found lakes, stream, hiking places. As long as you like the outdoors and can handle odd people, you will like it here.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,506 times
Default Can you give me any direction to get CTTA from St. Albans to BVT?

Hi,

I'm in St. Albans and I'm in the area of Main Street, close to Rite Aid.

Some of you living here know how to get the bus to reach Burlington?

I know it's not far by car, but I don't want to drive a car yet here if I'm not used to ir a little bit, just to avoid some incidents or don't want to get lost as I don't know roads well.

I went to the CTTA site but I don't understand where's the closest spot or if I need to take 2 buses: one from where I am to the other spot and get another bus.

Sorry but I'm so bored here and wished I could go to Burlington in the morning and afternoon and have some time at Church Street and nearby.

Thanks for your help a lot
Laura

Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM

167 posts, read 192,527 times
Soooo years later....
How is the transportation in St-Albans? Is there such a thing as a greyhound bus that goes through there? Or a local bus that goes to Burlington/Montreal? Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont