Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times

Advertisements

I am a NYC public high school teacher and have been trying to re-locate to Vermont for at least two years now. However, I haven't landed a spot there yet and whereas I wasn't bothered at the time (I am very upbeat about trying again) I have recently learned from distinguised sources in VT that they don't like to hire teachers from NYC because "New Yorkers are rude and opinionated, underqualified, and likely to leave." Really? Most of the teachers and people I know in NYC schools are the opposite, in fact, they/we/I rally and teach our students through patience and compassion. I am bummed out that VT would profess this. How can this be?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
Most high school positions in Vermont are posted on schoolspring.com. The best time to look for faculty positions is in early spring. There are always specific subject needs in the languages, math & science. The pay and benefits are good and class sizes are small. As a board member, we've recenlty hired from North Carolina, New York, and Massachusetts. Until recently, our Commissioner of Education was a Superintendent from the Bronx. So--- our emphasis is on quality - that's why Vermont is always ranked at or near the top in education. Anyone who told you that we don't hire from New York City because of "attitude" isn't coming from a serious hiring committee from a serious high school. There are those who have moved to Vermont that come because they think Vermont is a great place to live - we moved from Westchester County, NY 10 years ago --- yes, the costs are high -- though not higher than NY --- we have never experienced any rudeness because of where we moved from (because I own a B&B, I did have to convince a few people that I retired from a major corporation as a lawyer, so that was actually qualified to be on a school board, but once that was over -- I am integral part of my community).
Good luck in your application process - I know it's tough based on all the resumes we get --- but I guess that's true of a lot of professions lately.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
That's because there are too many people looking for jobs here. Even Joe Jack with no degree can sub here and they gladly take him on as long as he knows Mr. Principal or Mr. Janitor or whatever.

I interviewed for 2 para jobs and didn't get either of them despite all my degrees and certification AND experience. I have applied for countless other teaching/school jobs and heard nothing.

Do they dislike NYers here...well, you get the yes and no...depends who you talk to.

People like to hire locasl, I have found. They are more grateful and will work for crumbs.

Last edited by vter; 09-09-2009 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
It varies. I got into a "career change" program up in Burlington for changing careers into teaching (it would've been for high school too!) and during the interviews and other informational thing, the vibe I got was that they actually welcome out of towners (and particularly NYers), but it's a matter of supply and demand and human nature as it is, when there's competition, the "local" will win. Very few out of towners get into this program though, but if you PM me, I can give you a contact or two who at the very least may give you their opinion on career prospects.

Based on that, I ended up not moving there and going for a similar program in CT I got accepted into thinking it is closer to NY and that my career prospects would be better (I didn't get into the NYC Fellows program, which this year was severly cut anyway).

But one thing you can note (and it does impress many higher ups in education up there) is to say that you're following in the footsteps of current (or is it former now?) VT Commissioner of Education Armando Vilaseca. He's an ex-NYer (or more technically, NY metro, he comes from Union City, NJ, I think he went to UVM and stayed there afterwards, I didn't realize he was in the Bronx for awhile, is that the person mentioned in an earlier post here?). "Do your homework" and you'll be fine.

A lot of current and former statewide-level politicians in VT are ex-NYers (Bernie Sanders, Madeleine Kunin, Howard Dean, etc.) so I think it can happen......

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

159 posts, read 405,122 times
Most of us old time vermonters will tell you the beginning of the end was when madeline Kunin became governor, she actually developed a plan for the state to purchase huge amounts of property and trun it all into state parks at the cost of 100"s of millions of dollars but the plan was scrapped as soon as she left office. The Bernie Sanders and Howard Dean came along to put the nails in the coffin, they're both life long politicians who have done nothing to bring, or keep, decent private sector jobs in Vermont. BnB is a good example, she retired from her high paying job in NY and is now living her dream of of owning a B&B in vermont. She states she's on the school board and pay and bennies are good and class sizes are small, one of the reasons vermonts taxes rank as some of the highest in the nation.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I wonder if you'd do better moving there first? A lot of jobs do not like to hire people who are not local. Honestly I think the biggest reason is that they think you are going to hit them up for moving expenses.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Kunin, Dean, et. al are mostly hated or at the minimum simply tolerated by real Vermonters. Actually as time goes by there's seemingly increased levels of contempt for those people (especially Kunin and Dean right behind) as things get worse because they (we, I should say, since I'm one of those "real" VT'ers who doesn't like them) realize those politicians were in large part responsible. The invasion of the state is the underlying cause but the politicians did the dirty deeds that have harmed the state so much. We won't forget proposing to turn our state into a park. They're effectively doing that anyways but just slower by wiping out the economy and making it a mere playground for the rich.

As for the OP: it's simple, there's not enough jobs for everyone here, so locals will tend to be given preference in hiring, especially given how many more jobs NYC has to offer you. Who do you think should be hired by a Vermont school, a teacher with a job in NYC, or a Vermonter who faces a major uphill struggle to land a decent job? I found a lot of the inner politics of schools highly distasteful when I briefly worked as a teacher, but the widepsread preferences for locals in hiring was one I agreed with. Not every school is this way but many are.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
My spouse was a VT principal, routinely got 3-500 apps 4 every opening-about like throwing darts.
Not unknown for someone higher up the food chain to point out so and so was related to so and so.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Kunin, Dean, et. al are mostly hated or at the minimum simply tolerated by real Vermonters. Actually as time goes by there's seemingly increased levels of contempt for those people (especially Kunin and Dean right behind) as things get worse because they (we, I should say, since I'm one of those "real" VT'ers who doesn't like them) realize those politicians were in large part responsible.
With all due respect, who was it who put those politicians into office? Second homeowners like myself can not vote as we are not residents. Vermonters, who are registered, voted these people into office. Below I am including a link which indicates voter turnout in VT through 2004. The turnout for that last year was just under 69%. 130,000+ registered Vermont voters didn't bother to show up to vote. What actual percentage of relocated flatlanders comprise the number of registered VT voters? I wish that was inlcuded.

Header

Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
With all due respect, who was it who put those politicians into office? Second homeowners like myself can not vote as we are not residents. Vermonters, who are registered, voted these people into office. Below I am including a link which indicates voter turnout in VT through 2004. The turnout for that last year was just under 69%. 130,000+ registered Vermont voters didn't bother to show up to vote. What actual percentage of relocated flatlanders comprise the number of registered VT voters? I wish that was inlcuded.

Header
Does anyone know what percentage of fokls who did vote were born in VT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont