U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 90,436 times

Advertisements

I am originally form Western Massachusetts. I have lived in Daytona Beach,Florida for the last 21 years. I am planning a move back to New England in the Fall. I have always missed the four seasons and am sick and tired of the extreme heat for most of the year. My question is this: Where is a good area in Vermont to live and what is the cost of living like? I am an LPN so jobs are definiteyl a consideration. Just as a guide I am accustomed to paying about $350.00/month here for electric(that is an average) and 120/month water. Our insurance rates are getting higher as we have to have home owneres, wind, hurricane and flood insurance. Car insurance runs us about $2,000/year on 2 older small economy cars. Rents if we opt to rent would run us about $1,000/month for a 2 bedroom. The cost of a 3 bedroom house in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood is about $300,000.00. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeecybercraft View Post
I am originally form Western Massachusetts. I have lived in Daytona Beach,Florida for the last 21 years. I am planning a move back to New England in the Fall. I have always missed the four seasons and am sick and tired of the extreme heat for most of the year. My question is this: Where is a good area in Vermont to live and what is the cost of living like? I am an LPN so jobs are definiteyl a consideration. Just as a guide I am accustomed to paying about $350.00/month here for electric(that is an average) and 120/month water. Our insurance rates are getting higher as we have to have home owneres, wind, hurricane and flood insurance. Car insurance runs us about $2,000/year on 2 older small economy cars. Rents if we opt to rent would run us about $1,000/month for a 2 bedroom. The cost of a 3 bedroom house in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood is about $300,000.00. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.
Diane
I Printed this. So when My better half says she don't know, why I won't retire to FL. I can Say this is why.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,624,183 times
We are headed to Fl. wanna trade houses ?

Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,376,681 times
Yankeecybercraft -

I know Daytona Beach, although I haven't been back in years. I'd find the heat impossible myself.

Have a look at Fletcher Allen Health Care - the enormous regional hospital in Burlington. The rental inventory is somewhat larger then usual right now and I believe you'll be able to find some decent rentals in the 1000/mo range you mention. There are 79 Single Family Homes presently on the market in Chittenden County (The greater burlington area+) offered for between 250 and 300.

You're likely to pay a small fraction of the cost for electric, because you're unlikely to be paying for a/c - but paying for heating will make up the difference. You'll (probably) pay more for food.

You'll enjoy driving to Boston and Northampton in 3-3.5 hrs.
Montreal's under 2 hours via the scenic route - through The Champlain Islands. Jet Blue etc etc etc fly to NYC cheaply.

You may want to have a look at these VT and Burlington threads - there's a lot of information in there!

How else can we help?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM

198 posts, read 745,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeecybercraft View Post
Diane
From someone who also moved here from Florida (and my husband is a native of Boston)....read the Vermont threads thoroughly so you know what you are getting yourself in to. We have been here for almost 7 years, and will be leaving in the next 30 to 45 days.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
From someone who also moved here from Florida (and my husband is a native of Boston)....read the Vermont threads thoroughly so you know what you are getting yourself in to. We have been here for almost 7 years, and will be leaving in the next 30 to 45 days.
Pucabear.....
What should we expect in Florida ? Other than heat
We are going to the West Palm / Hobe Sound area..
It was going to be Asheville NC but for matters I wouldnt
bore someone with it is definately FL. Ive only been to the area
once. It looks OK for a beach area. Any caveats ??
Im really not a FL. type person, but .......life happens.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 AM

198 posts, read 745,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Pucabear.....
What should we expect in Florida ? Other than heat
We are going to the West Palm / Hobe Sound area..
It was going to be Asheville NC but for matters I wouldnt
bore someone with it is definately FL. Ive only been to the area
once. It looks OK for a beach area. Any caveats ??
Im really not a FL. type person, but .......life happens.
I actually lived in the West Palm Beach area. We enjoyed it, always lived in the suburbs of the city. There are so many people from so many places in Florida. I liked that because you could always find a group to fit into, and the "native thing" was never an issue. You obviously have to be more aware of your surroundings, lock doors but even in Vermont we should be doing that anyway. As far as the heat...you really do get used to it and central air is a wonderful thing.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Thanks !!

Sorta what I was hoping to hear !

Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
Default Vermont and Florida - tough choice

We live near Mass in Vermont and winter in Florida. If you're looking for a place with a great rental possibility so you can get away for a month or two to Florida (as we do for 5 months per year), let me know and I can give you the name of the area/condos and a realtor. I'm not a realtor and don't gain anything from any of them (and don't trust most of them!)

Andy

Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 AM

17,785 posts, read 53,968,601 times
Diane, you may find that getting re-acclimatized to cold weather difficult. You could be going from one extreme to another. I know that after a few near-frostbite experiences I had as a kid in Vermont, and my reaction to extended cold and dark, that I can't live permanently anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line. Going from Daytona to Vermont, you'll wonder what ever happened to cloudless days and sunlight.

The insurance, cost of living, threat of hurricanes, downturn in real estate, and other factors are creating a huge migration out of Florida, and a lot of people aren't happy with the decisions they made when moving out. You'll find a lot of issues anywhere you go, and I'd advise you to spend time in an area prior to moving, and then renting before buying. North Geogia and Eastern Tennessee seem to be soaking up a lot of the Florida diaspora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont