Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM

13 posts, read 46,584 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow wanderers. I have a question. I am living in the mountains of Georgia. It is lovely, but way too hot. I have been googling Stowe, Vermont. What do y'all think about this...?

I am 52 yo female and live a calm, quiet lifestyle. Sure, I wouldn't mind rediscovering the joys of skiing...I love the mountains because I don't tolerate heat well...(nor humidity). Actually, I get a headache, and then faint when overheated!

So...here's the details. I am a Hospice nurse. I also know home health very well. My husband does alot of DUI counseling. Is Stowe a place where we could grow old comfortably? What are the sociopolitics? Is it so small that we might grow bored????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:50 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,130,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmanandrobin View Post
I am 52 yo female and live a calm, quiet lifestyle. Sure, I wouldn't mind rediscovering the joys of skiing...I love the mountains because I don't tolerate heat well...(nor humidity). Actually, I get a headache, and then faint when overheated!
I feel exactly the way you do about humid heat. It's one of the reasons I moved to Northern New England 20 years ago. Summers here are still too sticky-hot for me but nothing like South Florida where I grew up and at least it doesn't go on for long. Unlike many in Vermont, I could never have a car without air conditioning or a bedroom without an a/c on some nights.

Quote:
So...here's the details. I am a Hospice nurse. I also know home health very well. My husband does alot of DUI counseling.

I don't know anything about the job opportunities, but Lamoille Home Health & Hospice is in Morrisville, a town adjacent to Stowe. Maple Leaf is a residential addiction treatment center less than an hour from Stowe.

Quote:
Is Stowe a place where we could grow old comfortably? What are the sociopolitics? Is it so small that we might grow bored????
If you live a calm, quiet lifestyle, Vermont should be fine for you. When you ask if Stowe is so small that you might grow bored, can you name some things you think you might miss if you were living in a small town?

Stowe is a beautiful and comparatively expensive area. I grew up in Miami Beach, another tourist town and I prefer not to live where the local culture is dominated by seasonal influx/exodus. For that reason, I'd prefer a Vermont town other than Stowe.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:22 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Morrisville would make more sense than Stowe for a number of reasons.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,164 times
Morrisville would work out better based on your job requirements and also because it's a lot cheaper.

Definitely give us more info on what you like to do in your spare time (do you like to go out or are you more of a homebody?). Stowe is a beautiful town, but it is very, very tourist oriented and very expensive. The property taxes are some of the highest in the state.

You might also consider the Dartmouth/Upper Valley area, or around Burlington. There are lots of smaller towns in both areas if you are looking for a quieter small town.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,276 times
Check out the Stowe Reporter online. There are always tons of listings of things to do in the area...boredom wouldn't be a problem ~ how to fit it all on your calendar might!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 22,683 times
I grew up and went to school in Stowe VT and lived 20 min. outside of it in a small place called North Wollcott. Stowe is great but buying a place in stowe and the extra taxes can be very high. If I were you I would consider Waterbury, right down the street, Morrisville is good but live outside the center of town. Williston is up and coming about 18 min from stowe but a bit city like.
If you have your heart set on living in Stowe " I dont blame you", my husband and I are moving back in the next 2-3 years. And are going to try to open another Pet Care Company like the one we have here in MD. Dont know if it will survive ?? But Id rather live where Im happy and be poor than live in a dreadful, over populated, overly hot place like MD and have money.
No you will not get bored and if you do it wil only be during " mud Season" which is usually from end of March to end of April or start of May. Aside from that its peaceful, clean, quaint, and with the summer, fall and winter tourists you are always meeting new people.

I would jump in with both feet and enjoy the ride !!!! If you have any further questions please feel free to e-mail me bensonsbuddys@yahoo.com

Have a great day ! Chrisitna Benson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont