U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM

20 posts, read 29,965 times

Advertisements

I have visited Vermont on a couple different occasions, always wanting to return shortly after I get back home. I prefer the rural feel of the NEK over the more touristy areas. That part of Vermont reminds me of how it "used" to be in my area of Florida, minus the mountains and snow. The people seem genuine and friendly up there. Land in the NEK is also very affordable compared to most parts of the country. These are just some of the reasons why I am seriously considering Vermont for an eventual second home site. My goal has always been to have a second home in the mountains. I considered NC (where I have family) and WV for the longest, but the land is just too expensive in the more choice areas. That and they do not get enough snow. Yes, I love snow! I would like a big enough parcel to hunt, hopefully fish, snowshoe, snow mobile, etc.
All of this brings me to my question. Is a conservative, 4th generation Floridian crazy to want to purchase 100+ acres up there? Would the taxes eat me up? Would I get burnt out fast dealing with the winters? Is what seems like an adventure really just a silly pipe dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 PM

14,396 posts, read 13,582,993 times
Depends on how much money you have. If you need a job and don't have one lined up, don't even consider it. If you have lots of money already...maybe you could do it. Yep, taxes will eat you up. Especially on 100 acres, unless you get them cut as agricultural land/etc....if it's just recreational land, essentially, ouch...

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM

159 posts, read 245,260 times
My suggestion would be to come to Vermont for a year and rent. Vermont still lets you hunt on someone else's land as long as it's not posted and there are plenty of snowmobile trails to ride on so you don't need your own land for that. Whenever property is cheap there's a reason, usually because it's very hard to sell, meaning no one wants to buy it for one reason or another. There's very little work in the NEK and the winters can be brutal, both in cold and in length and the daylight hours are soooo short. Then of course there's the employment situation and you'll drive an hour or more to get to any good shopping or urbane social activities. Some people love it and you might be one but I'd play it safe and rent for a year to keep my money liquid, if you buy property it may be hard to resell. Come to Vermont and try it out, it may be your dream come true but don't paint yourself into a corner by investing in property before you're sure it's for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Thank you for your helpful replies. Am I understanding you correctly ex-springfielder when you wrote that "Vermont still lets you hunt on someone else's land as long as it's not posted". WOW! That's a good way to get yourself some serious trespassing/poaching charges in my part of the country. I understand New England has vast snow mobile trails running through peoples property, but hunting someones land without permission? Wow.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Yes you understand me, if the land isn't posted as no tresspassing or no hunting you can go on it and hunt and fish on it. You cannot hunt within certain distances of houses and within city limits but finding land to hunt on is easy. You are also free to hunt anywwhere in the Green Mountain National Forest which covers a lot of area.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Like I said, if you go on someones land down here, especially while carrying a gun, you are looking for major problems. I've never heard of such laws. Is that common pratice in the NE, or just in Vermont.
This explains something my family and I found odd the last time we were up there. The owner of the cabin we were renting offered us some snow shoes and told us we could walk for miles behind his property (only about 10 acres). We didn't know if he knew the land owners or what. I guess it didn't matter.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:29 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,673,571 times
What seemed strange to me when i moved down here was how many people have gates across the end of their driveways, Not really fancy decorative types but plain old cattle fence type.People seem a lot more paranoid down here

Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,250,994 times
As soon as we bought our land in VT, we tore down the posted signs. As ling as someone isn't shooting at me, I don't mind hunters.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,598,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
As soon as we bought our land in VT, we tore down the posted signs. As ling as someone isn't shooting at me, I don't mind hunters.
Every year Vermont hunters (our best and brightest btw) shoot people, mistaking them for rabbits, coyotes and wild turkeys. You're playing with fire. You could be watching Animal Planet on the TV in your living room and have bullets flying through your window because a Vermont hunter thought he saw a zebra.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Every year Vermont hunters (our best and brightest btw) shoot people, mistaking them for rabbits, coyotes and wild turkeys. You're playing with fire. You could be watching Animal Planet on the TV in your living room and have bullets flying through your window because a Vermont hunter thought he saw a zebra.
When was the last time you know of someone being shot by a hunter while in their house. There are probably one or two hunters shot every year while a hundred are killed on state roads, are you going to buy a tank to be safe in. Maybe one of the reasons crime is low in the rural states of the north is that so many citizens own firearms. I would say allowing people access to your property is a long ways from playing with fire. Snowmobile clubs must get the landowners permission before putting a trail on their land but snowmobiles do little if any damage to the land and many land owners allow trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont