U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM

16,812 posts, read 29,033,381 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea when it will reopen? I took some back roads coming out of Barre in order to cross the bridge and it was closed. Googling I found a Rutland Herald article from May 2008 stating the bridge would be closed for about a year, but no specific time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,059,141 times
The bridge has been closed for over a year now. It possibly needs to have the barrels replaced. The barrels were replaced with styrofoam filled plastic barrels back in 1978, but they think the foam filled barrels may be waterlogged. There are 380 barrels under the bridge. There is also some wooden structural issues as well. The state transportation agency's new prioritization program considers how much use roads and bridges get when determining what order they are put in for major construction work. The agency has also, where possible, eliminated amenities in those projects to try and stretch transportation money in an era of declining Transportation Fund revenues. The floating bridge does not get a huge amount of traffic so when and if it will be repaired is in the air. It's open for foot traffic and fishing. The engineers and inspectors looked at it and decided there is no easy fix. They don't have a good estimate, but It is going to be an expensive repair.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
Thats too bad that it's closed for driving right now. I didnt realize that. It is so cool to drive over it. You feel like you are sinking! It's definately a "must do" in Vermont when it's open for vehicular traffic.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM

104 posts, read 439,262 times
I would not hold my breath at seeing it reopened soon.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks 68Vette for the detailed explanation.

vter -- we had my daughter's friend with us and after a trip to B&J's we took the back road/scenic drive. I didn't tell them what I had in mind, but the whole idea of going over the floating bridge would have been so much fun. Imagine the disappointment when we reached the bridge and saw the huge concrete barrier blocking it.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM

17,776 posts, read 53,957,343 times
I remember going over it as a kid. Having been on a boat I was not impressed.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Living on an Island and being a boat owner, I understand your sentiment. For my group, it would have been more about the thrill of crossing a bridge which looks like it is about to dip into the water under us.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,059,141 times
even when the bridge was in decent condition it would sink into the water under the weight of a car. There is or was a weight limit on the bridge but it wasn't always followed. I knew an older gentleman who used to deliver grain to local farms and he tried taking the bridge to save some time. He said when he got about half way across the water was coming into the truck from around the doors. Who knows, maybe there were enough overweight crossings to help lead to it's failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont