U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

My husband saw one tonight in Putney, VT and he said it was only 6 ft away from him. He was sooo scared. He said his head was huge. It was coming around the side of a building towards the woods. It just looked at him and walked on by. Don't know why Fish and Game would deny sightings but too many people have seen them to not believe that they are living in VT and NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM

319 posts, read 857,308 times
Default bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I know a lot of people won't believe me when I say this (I didn't have any camera with me), but I was out about 4 hours ago for a walk on the edge of Rutland City going towards Rutland Town (Dorr Drive...) and on the way back into the city close to the bridge over Otter Creek to River Street I came across a catamount in some brush and trees. Massive cat, long tail, no mistaking it...the scary part is it wasn't really that afraid of me. It sat there about 10 feet from me just watching. I had just noticed something out of the corner of my eye and looked closer and it was sitting there in the brush watching me. Took a second to register in my mind what I was seeing. It didn't run till I was only a few feet from it (with my .44 aimed at it the whole time when I realized what it was BTW) so I think it was a recently released pet, most likely. I've known for a while there's catamounts around, I've seen the sign and know people who've seen them, but this is the absolute closest I've ever come to one...beautiful animals but they can be very dangerous...I'm not going to forget this walk for a while, bears aren't that exciting.

Anyone else seen one like this?
ha ha bears aren't that exciting huh.i beg to differ.u certainly don't live in alaska.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
ha ha bears aren't that exciting huh.i beg to differ.u certainly don't live in alaska.
Vermont black bears are small and generally very wary of people. No grizzly bears here.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

319 posts, read 857,308 times
Default bears

to be honest i've seen one in anchorage.but i don't or at least try not to go were they may be concentrated.on the road to crowcreek mine the road is full of bear scatt but i've yet to see one.i'm always looking over my shoulder when fishing,berry pickin ect.every summer several people are mauled.black bears are just as bad as grizzly's.i live in an area that has mostly black bear some brown around though.i always carry bear mace too. i'm excited by anything that can kill me even moose.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,279 times
You should contact the Rutland Herald. If that's what you really saw, People should know to warn residents of it's existence. I'd hate to live near there and have my kids out playing. It's possible they may be able to find tracks.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM

16,935 posts, read 22,195,599 times
I wouldn't worry about it. My OP was in 2009 on this thread. I haven't seen it since, it passed through. They travel a lot. The one killed by a car in CT was from the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,279 times
My bad for not noticing the date...lol.....
Kind of makes you wonder though. I walk the Wheelerville road in Mendon a lot with the dog. I've personally seen a bear (looked like a bag of bones in a bear suit), a moose (bigger in person and a little too curious) , and a coyote there. Now, I'll have to wonder about something bigger ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or