Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times

Advertisements

Survivalists, Town Clash Over Craftsbury Road - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

This was interesting to me since I used to be a frequent poster at Maniatty's forum. Seems the town is taking the Waco route...demonize them, etc., make people scared. This might get interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
I read that yesterday. On the other hand, how are they able to cut off access on a legal trail?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:56 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,383 times
Are they a religious cult in the vein of the polygamists in Arizona or New Mexico or wherever that was? Do they have women and children living there? Vermont seems an odd choice for a survivalist group - they usually choose states where there is minimum government interference to begin with.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I read that yesterday. On the other hand, how are they able to cut off access on a legal trail?
I seem to recall other examples of towns trying to take back old roads that have not been used in decades or longer, like this. The towns don't always win.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
I thought the law is that unless the town officially gives up the trail, it remains open to the public.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Are they a religious cult in the vein of the polygamists in Arizona or New Mexico or wherever that was? Do they have women and children living there? Vermont seems an odd choice for a survivalist group - they usually choose states where there is minimum government interference to begin with.
They're not polygamists. Fundamentalist Christians basically (the reason I don't have much to do with him or his forum anymore is he got to be very outspokenly anti-Catholic, annoying), who tend to have a strong belief in the end of the world anyways. He said for years that he saw a vision that 2008 would see the beginning of the end of this country. He's convinced now that he's correct. I don't know if they have women and children there. I know he has some children, I know they have some small cabins there besides the main house and the church. I don't believe too many actually live there all the time. He took in a fellow from Alaska I knew and used to talk to a lot, when he had cancer, was out of money and on the verge of being homeless. He stayed at one of the cabins, which was empty, until he died from cancer there. That tells me it must only be him and his other preachers staying there all the time. But there is a shooting range there used frequently by members. Vermont lends itself well to someone who collects guns since there are almost no restrictions (other than on silencers). He is definately into guns.

I have said many times Northern Vermont isn't filled with the far-left like Brattleboro or such. You might be surprised how many like him are around in VT.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I thought the law is that unless the town officially gives up the trail, it remains open to the public.
That's been changed. See Act 178. This sums it up: Powered by Google Docs

Basically if towns don't go through the process by 2015 they lose them for good. I think that may be what's at play here. The road hasn't been used in decades at least. I'm willing to wager the "hiker" here was paid by or hired for free by someone from the town to do this to bring it up.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 AM

159 posts, read 405,065 times
Strange all these that claim to be true believers in religion, if they have the power of God behind them why do they need guns. That's in the same vein as the Pope who didn't want to die, shows me a definite lack of conviction.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
Strange all these that claim to be true believers in religion, if they have the power of God behind them why do they need guns. That's in the same vein as the Pope who didn't want to die, shows me a definite lack of conviction.
The Bible does tell believers to be prepared for the end times.

Which pope was that?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 AM

This puts an interesting spin on this story...notice the name of the person who made the complaint about this "road"...

Six Arrested In $1M Drug Sweep - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Drug dealers looking for a remote place to do their business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: