Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,134,888 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy nature walks in VT more than hiking.
I've been hiking around the state, I went up camel's hump yesterday, and it dawned on me that most hiking to at least middle elevations here is nothing but a series of rocks and tree roots. I don't really get to look around and enjoy the nature around me because my head is constantly down, analyzing rocks and high tree roots to see where my next step should be. I've done a lot of hiking in Colorado and Switzerland and have been able to look from side to side. Looking around from side to side here for more than a few seconds will result in a face-plant. The rocky trails also offer another challenge - rain.
It hasn't rained in a while here and there were still plenty of wet rocks up to Camel's Hump. Does anyone know of a nice trail with a rewarding view that is mostly dirt? Or is New England hiking mostly rock-hoppung. I enjoyed two things about my hike yesterday - arriving at the destination and arriving at parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM

5,794 posts, read 13,910,553 times
If you don't mind hiking at ski areas there are usually service type roads zigzagging along the ski terrain. You'll always have a view!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,494,187 times
go get a hiking guide thru the Adirondacks , take the ferry over the lake and hike till your hearts content. SOme of the best hiking in the world, take a nice day trip the Adirondacks are the place to HKE HIKE HIKE HIKE and HIKE!! I did it for a whole summer and fall, nothing beats the great North Woods. SOme are easy, some moderate, some killer. The payoff at the tops and the views are unsurpassable. The best part is you could be anywhere in Vt, just cross the lake and anywhere the hiking begins, hope on the trail have a nice lunch and enjoy the beauty of the great ADirondack Mountains. One beautiful hike, not hard great views is Heart Lake. GO GO GO>

Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 AM

Thanks Peg and Steve. I'll look into ski area trails.

Steve. Can you reccommend any trails with mostly dirt paths rather than rocks and roots? Maybe a hike with a view during the hike, not just at the top?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM

986 posts, read 2,329,715 times
Maybe it's just me, but whenever I go hiking, I never look side to side unless I'm stopped. Why would you not be looking where you're going while you're walking? That always has the possibility of a face plant.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,243,325 times
Try hiking to Silver Lake from Route 53/Lake Dunmore. It's basically an old road.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Maybe it's just me, but whenever I go hiking, I never look side to side unless I'm stopped. Why would you not be looking where you're going while you're walking? That always has the possibility of a face plant.
Well if you call it hiking, I just returned from walking the flume. It wasn't much of a hike, but the second half of that walk is a fairly unobstructed, flat dirt trail. I was able to look around and see the surroundings. I like the flume, spectacular scenery and low energy output.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,848,286 times
Granted, Vermont for the most part is steep and rocky, but there are some very nice hiking trails which are less rigorous which allow for exploring decent destinations and views. As mentioned, old abandoned roads offer interesting excursions. There are several sources for hiking suggestions, such as the Green Mountain Club publications for day hikes and side trails to the Long/Appalachian Trail. The US Forest Service also provides trail information sheets on great day hikes within the Green Mountain National Forest. Also, check out the state forest and game management websites as those areas have great hiking opportunities.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM

47 posts, read 108,473 times
Most WMA have good VAST trails...check the state DNR page for WMA maps....more animals to see.

WEAR HUNTER ORANGE during SEPT - DECEMBER IN WMAs

I wouldn't want you to get shot by some Outta state M******* hunting deer after an all nighter beer binge with his buddies.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM

231 posts, read 867,823 times
Mt Philo....dirt and roads...short hike, but views are great....enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont