U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Default Twelve Tribes in Vermont

Good Day,

Has anyone in Vermont any information of the Twelve Tribes in Rutland, Vermont? I am looking for feedback and information on them. Thanks for the reply.

Matt's Mom

Last edited by Matt's mom; 09-19-2009 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: too much information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM

13,409 posts, read 14,564,617 times
There was another thread about Twelve Tribes on the VT forum a while back. You might have to dig around to find it.

Never mind -- found it:

Twelve Tribes?

It goes astray at the end and turned into a religious conversation so the moderator locked it.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's mom View Post
Has anyone in Vermont any information of the Twelve Tribes in Rutland, Vermont? I am looking for feedback and information on them. Thanks for the reply.
A Twelve Tribes community owns several houses within a block of my house. We frequent their restaurant and store. They participated in a wellness fair I used to coordinate. My husband and I have always found them neighborly and helpful.

That said, years ago we researched the TT theology and found it highly offensive: authoritarian, racist, homophobic, and sexist. For several months we lost our appetite for eating at their restaurant. Then we realized they were kind people serving us delicious food in a town that doesn't have enough of that. We considered that if we learned too much about the lives of other business owners, we might lose our taste for their wares, too. We figure it's an imperfect solution in an imperfect world.

As far as I can tell, no one is living in the TT against his/her will, but it's not like I've gone undercover to investigate and confirm this or anything. To my husband and me, the kids seem happy, playful, well-adjusted, and very affectionate with their parents, as TT parents generally seem to be with each other. We've seen the kids be rambunctious and get nothing more than a gentle chiding.

We banter playfully with TT members and many seem sharply intelligent. They also interact easily with us "worldly" folks. For example, a woman we chat with frequently at their store stocks lovely cat greeting cards she makes because she knows how I love cats. She was also very open to literature I offered about alternatives to selling Nalgene plastic water bottles, which are made by a company that specializes in horrific devices used to torture animals in laboratories. Additional factors may have led to the TT store now carrying a more eco-friendly (and animal-friendly) water bottle line.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 09-19-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 7,531 times
Default Rutland Twelve Tribes

I lived in Rutland community for five years. I worked in the soap shop and the Back Home Again Cafe. It is a great community and we had a lot of fun. Of course, there were hurdles to overcome, because human beings are going to have to face challenges where ever they are. I am now living in a community in
Asheville. It is the same "vibe" here as it is there. Cheers!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM

984 posts, read 1,185,667 times
Does anyone know why they seem to follow Phish around on tour? I've seen them at every show I've been to this year, including the 3 day festival in California. I've heard various things from friends about the group, but they're not necessarily accurate so I won't post them here.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Does anyone know why they seem to follow Phish around on tour? I've seen them at every show I've been to this year, including the 3 day festival in California. I've heard various things from friends about the group, but they're not necessarily accurate so I won't post them here.
My guess about why (and this is a guess) is a combo of ID-ing new prospective Twelve Tribes members and a sincere desire to do good.

Many members have paramedic, EMT, or advanced First Aid training so they can tend to their own. They've been known to offer free treatment for non-emergent ailments at Phish, Grateful Dead, & other concerts.

Medical services may also be one of the Tribes' many income-generating cottage industries. When I was attending a Cambridge, MA, massage school in the mid-1990s, our First Aid class was taught by a Twelve Tribes member. I was still living in NH and it was the first time I'd met anyone from the community. As I recall, he did a great job with the class.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM

279 posts, read 628,998 times
The 12 tribes group in Island Pond,Vermont have always seemed like decent people when I have headed out that way.When I go to IP it is to shop at one of their owned and operated clothing stores.The store itself is one of the best outfitters of winter gear in the area. Always helpful in the store.Never,ever preachy although you can find some of their literature near the front door.
About 30 years ago the Vermont State Police raided their compound and took all the kids out due to child abuse/child molestation charges.The charges were quickly thrown out by a judge and to the best of my knowledge there was never any real proof,just small town word of mouth.Times have changed even in Island Pond.It is more of a live and let live type situation now.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM

937 posts, read 1,673,909 times
I met them and got to know some of them fairly well, even hung out at their home for dinner a couple of times. Nice people, but something very private and untrusting about them. Everything is very structured, everyone has their role, and I even got the feeling that their marriages might have been somewhat pre-arranged, but I could be wrong. A coworker of mine had a brother that she hadn't spoken to in years after he joined. Said relationships outside of the tribe were very guarded, and if he wanted to visit he had to get permission first, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont