Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times

Advertisements

Oh, my mistake then. The OP wondered why people would come here and post negative things. And the subject title of the thread questions why people who have a negative view of Vermont would want to post on a Vermont forum. Yes, I see the difference.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 AM

274 posts, read 673,846 times
Actually, my bigger interest was why people who have left VT come back again and again to post negative things. I was wondering because I don't have interest in going to the NH forum and jumping in with my opinion about living there. I guess it's just different mindsets. I am really excited to be living in VT so I am focused on the future and NH is out of my mind. I was wondering if people who have moved on from VT but continue to post about what they don't like here do it out of hope for change since maybe leaving VT was bittersweet. There are probably all sorts of reasons though.

Also, I wasn't aware that other state forums are really negative. I only come to this one since I am focused only on VT right now.

Here is my take on VT - yes, the weather is extreme. And yes, the population is small and doesn't support big industry. So if you like 70 degree sunny weather all year round and want built up areas and lots of industry (that's what comes with a better job market), it probably isn't the right place. But lots of people love VT for other reasons and those can't be ignored and people who enjoy it here shouldn't be told they have a "rose colored glasses" perspective. I do get tired of that.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
The tax and regulatory environment doesn't support big industry, put blame where blame is due. Another point perhaps if you skimmed the NH forum you would find folks just like yourself that thought NH was the place but would be happier in VT and leaving your opinion could help them figure that out before moving to NH.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
We get to know each other here after a while. Many, although not all, of the people here who haven't had luck with jobs or friendships seem arrogant, whiny, or just downright annoying. I wouldn't hire or befriend them either.
They'll run into the same trouble in any state. It's not Vermont, like they think it is.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM

VT is an economic powerhouse come on up everyone plenty of green to go around.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM

274 posts, read 673,846 times
Funny, the NH newspaper (Union Leader) has people complaining there too about the cost of running a business in the state and that the tax system is going to kill new businesses. I just think people are disgruntled everywhere. It's not just a VT thing (and apparently it's less here than in FL according to what others have said about that board!). The economy is scary and there is no perfect place.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM

For the previous ten years VT has had zero private sector job growth and last year VT lost 10,000 private sector jobs. I don't care if people want to make sacrifices to live in VT, I tried it and it wasn't for me. But again if it works for you go ahead. Please, please stop being dishonest about VT's employment opportunities. It is morally bankrupt to be dishonest about the economic situation in VT.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
We get to know each other here after a while. Many, although not all, of the people here who haven't had luck with jobs or friendships seem arrogant, whiny, or just downright annoying. I wouldn't hire or befriend them either.
They'll run into the same trouble in any state. It's not Vermont, like they think it is.
quickdraw, I hope you're referring to people you've met.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
The statement about VT winters being better than SFla heat and humidity has proved absolutely true for me. I also know that there are people who actually prefer Florida's weather to Vermont's. Having been around a few decades, I don't just take someone else's word for it, especially with an important decision.

I feel for your friend. I'm sorry he hates where he ended up and hope he gets to move if that's what he wants. But did he really take it on faith that another person would know his standards for a "not bad" winter and other aspects of where he should live? I hope people do more thorough research before moving and realize that asking others what they think of a place will reveal personal experiences, not some ultimate truth.
His wife was originally from Vermont and he had been as far north as Pennsylvania for a winter and had no clue what expect. He trusted what she and another close friend told him. The point I was getting at was that it wasn't fair to tell him "it's not that bad." He should have been told it gets as cold as xx degrees and winter can last for xx months. You may do alright or you may have a difficult time with the weather. The same can be said for any other situation, be it income, taxes, etc. When I first moved to Vermont someone I was friends with was very open about the pluses and minuses. For me the benefits outweighed the minuses.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The point I was getting at was that it wasn't fair to tell him "it's not that bad." He should have been told it gets as cold as xx degrees and winter can last for xx months.

I think you're right on. Using vague descriptions like "not bad," "milder than in the past," etc., are meaningless. I'd want specifics about the weather, economic climate, etc. I'd also visit during different seasons if possible, but I know that isn't always possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont