Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM

274 posts, read 673,846 times

Advertisements

I work for a company that has a really tough time finding qualified people within the state to fill professional level jobs. And it is not because they are uneducated. It's just that it's a small pool of people to choose from here. They bring people in from other areas instead.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Same old two stories in VT- We are unable to find qualified employees. And qualified employees unable to find a job.
1. Maybe the employers/employees just aren't finding each other.
2. Perhaps the self identified quality job seekers- are of lower quality then they believe they are.
3. Maybe the wages being offered for professional jobs do not reflect either the COL or wages for the same position 150 miles away.
Makes you go hmmmm. I'd guess mostly number three, but I was in number twos position so maybe it is us losers.
What do those 99 out of 100 graduates know about the living and working conditions where they just trained that cause them to move? We are told Vermont has a high quality of life and Burlington is tops for everything Vermont. How could folks who went to school there not stay- they are being offered jobs? Nothing easier than taking a job where you trained.
Because it's not terribly difficult for a youngster of even average intelligence to figure out the cost of living vs wages paid in VT is an overwhelming obstacle to a decent life.

If you knew how most most of those $9 dollar workers at the ski areas really feel .....

Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Because it's not terribly difficult for a youngster of even average intelligence to figure out the cost of living vs wages paid in VT is an overwhelming obstacle to a decent life.

If you knew how most most of those $9 dollar workers at the ski areas really feel .....
Haha- I worked making snow for half a winter- that was enough motivation to go back to college.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
momnh - same thing for my spouse's company. The majority of hires come from out of state. They just can't find qualified people around here. These are good high paying jobs too.
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of young people who grew up in Vermont leave Vermont because they want to experience something different. Sure, jobs are a reason, but for me, the reason I left Vermont after school was to try city life. Lots of my friends did the same and are now trickling back to Vermont.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
momnh - same thing for my spouse's company. The majority of hires come from out of state. They just can't find qualified people around here. These are good high paying jobs too.
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of young people who grew up in Vermont leave Vermont because they want to experience something different. Sure, jobs are a reason, but for me, the reason I left Vermont after school was to try city life. Lots of my friends did the same and are now trickling back to Vermont.
And when they get back, they'll get a job managing the Gap, or delivering for UPS, and wonder what the hell they're doing here.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Nope...thats not the case with the people I know. Think accountant, computer engineer, insurance agent, and property management.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Nope...thats not the case with the people I know. Think accountant, computer engineer, insurance agent, and property management.

Also, nonprofit managers, in the case of many folks I know who have returned to Vermont after spending early adulthood elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
Speaking of finding jobs... are there any good websites for someone looking to get a job in VT to be checking? As someone who has worked in a college for the past 6 years, I check the college websites, but I was wondering where else to look (not sure if it's allowed on these boards).

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM

The best listings for the Burlington area is Seven Days. (IMO)
Seven Days Classifieds | Vermont Jobs, Apartments, Cars, Services and Stuff
also
JobsInVT.com - Local Vermont jobs, careers and employment (Home)
or
North Country Jobs-North Country Local Help Wanted ads-FREE Video Resumes- FREE Job Search Engine for the North Country Area-Free Job Forum
or
burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

OR
Just peruse websites of companies in the area. Many places will list openings on their website and not advertise elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM

82 posts, read 229,547 times
I honestly think many employers or their HR departments have no idea what skills are needed to perform jobs, what the fair market value of those jobs are, or how to read a resume.

Even in this economy, you are not going to get a "qualified" or skilled MSW for under 37k. It's not happening. There are too many places for highly qualified folks possessing that skill set to find work. Either you have to up the wages or lower the expectations/qualification requirements.

Also many VT listing are not parsed out very well as to leave qualified candidates wary of a company who can't even get it together to create a cohesive ad.

Non Profits seem to be the worst offenders. Most of their ads are quite laughable. One I recently saw stated they wanted someone with 5 - 7 years experience, Masters level education and was offering wages commiserate with education/experience. One glance at the website tells you they believe that level of professional is only worth 28k a year.

In my profession, there was a recent ad on Craigslist seeking a highly qualified funding consultant with a demonstrated track record and at least FIVE years experience. They were offering $20/hr, which is not even enough to get a funding consultant with no experience. This ad has been reposted at least four times. One wonders if they have had any qualified applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont