Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 AM

986 posts, read 2,332,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
Those who just want to complain about the state ('it's all the fault of the hippies" - gosh, doesn't that date them) should go to the forums of the state they like / have moved to / are about to move to, and can then post all sorts of nice positive stuff.
Remember, being negative all the time fills your brain with nasty chemicals!!
People who are so negative about where they currently live and cannot see the positives tend not to see the positives about anywhere else. I bet if you met most of these people in person, they would be completely different and actually have some great things to say about where they live.

Last edited by vter; 12-12-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 AM

894 posts, read 1,556,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
Those who just want to complain about the state ('it's all the fault of the hippies" - gosh, doesn't that date them) should go to the forums of the state they like / have moved to / are about to move to, and can then post all sorts of nice positive stuff.
Remember, being negative all the time fills your brain with nasty chemicals!!
Folks come to City-data to learn the good and bad about places. If there is no downside discussed what is the point? Perhaps laying blame for any negatives in VT is off topic, but discussing the harsh economic reality of VT should be fair game. TX seems great to me, but it is really hot and they have scorpions.

Last edited by vter; 12-12-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,959,384 times
I've never had a problem with reading about the negatives of Vermont, in fact, I've appreciated all the information, both positive and negative, I've read here. But I don't particularly care for the tone that is sometimes used on these boards when discussing the negative - it is just as easy to be nice when talking about the negatives as it is to be obnoxious and sarcastic (I'm not referring to anyone specific, just generalizing).

I've been participating less on this board because of the tone that it's taken the last several months...I still do read it every day, and I'm grateful to learn about the pros and cons, but it just puts me in a sour mood more often than not lately because of the way people can sometimes be.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I've never had a problem with reading about the negatives of Vermont, in fact, I've appreciated all the information, both positive and negative, I've read here. But I don't particularly care for the tone that is sometimes used on these boards when discussing the negative - it is just as easy to be nice when talking about the negatives as it is to be obnoxious and sarcastic (I'm not referring to anyone specific, just generalizing).

I've been participating less on this board because of the tone that it's taken the last several months...I still do read it every day, and I'm grateful to learn about the pros and cons, but it just puts me in a sour mood more often than not lately because of the way people can sometimes be.
This is exactly my problem with some of the people who are "down on VT" (or really down on anything). While some people can balance out the negatives with the positives, people who absolutely hate it can't see past the negatives and come off as being just plain grumpy. When that's the case, it's almost impossible for those people to see the positive side of anything. Those are the people I tend to ignore. They exist on every web forum (some might even equate them to trolls, but I wouldn't go that far) just like the people who think everything is always hunky dory. It's important to take in both sides of the argument, but people who can't see beyond the negative tend not to offer constructive criticism. The same tends to go for people who long for "the good old days".

If you want to give people a good impression of the state, you gotta balance your negative opinions with some of the positives and not in such a sarcastic tone. Sarcasm does not help people make a decision. Or perhaps you just wanna keep people from moving in...

Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Or perhaps you just wanna keep people from moving in...
My idea for that was a wall around the state...

Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
My idea for that was a wall around the state...
You see, this is exactly what I don't understand. In one thread, people are complaining that no one wants to stay. In other threads, people don't want newcomers moving in. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
You see, this is exactly what I don't understand. In one thread, people are complaining that no one wants to stay. In other threads, people don't want newcomers moving in. It just doesn't make sense.
It boils down to who is wanted...and where...

Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 AM

894 posts, read 1,556,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
If you want to give people a good impression of the state,
How about a honest opinion? VT is expensive and poor. Pretty, though no more than many places in New England. Very liberal if that helps you get through your day.
Let's hear from folks that have moved to VT after reading these forums. Except for Arel folks seem to drop off the radar. So new VTers how is VT treating you? And how accurate was the ups and downs of VT represented here?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 AM

159 posts, read 404,835 times
It would be interesting if the posters said what they do for a living, are you a farmer, machine operator, retailer, health care or government employee. Most people form their opinion based on their own experiences, i.e. did you loss your farm, did your company close or relocate to another state, did you move to vermont to take a teaching position or work in health care or some other government or service job. For a liberal who came to vermont to take a 100k plus job teaching in Middlebury or UVM Vermont may be utopia, for one of the thousands whose manufacturing company closed or one of the workers trying to survive at a low paying tourism job Vermont may be purgatory.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,062,133 times
I've been here 2 years and it's true--it is expensive here. We are lucky they offer medical help for our son.
My husband has a good job for this area but it's not enough to pay for us while I sit unemployed week after week.

I'm not 'unemployable'--it's the fact there are few jobs here and those that open up are snapped up quickly by people looking to trade up. I don't know anyone of influence. So I sit here and wonder why. I've never had a problem getting a job in NY or PA (2 other states I lived in) after six months...this is over a year here..!

People said over and over here in the VT forum have a job lined up or have a back up plan because if you lose your job, getting another is hard. Well, now it's doubly hard in a recession. This is very true.

The thing I notice here is an abundance of adults around my age or younger always 'around' (not working). So many, many people drop off and pick up their kids at my son's school for example. Obviously these people picking up are NOT working or work part time (or do they ALL work nights like my husband?).

I suppose, then, I am not the only 40 something woman who can't find work.

Another weird thing, meanwhile is how many OLD, OLD people work. I mean 70 year olds. Places seem to love to hire older workers with no family or kids here so they can pull the 'be here at 7 am tomorrow, 10 pm the next day' shift thing.

Getting a NORMAL job with NORMAL hours seems to have flown out the window. Finding a FULL time job is a joke. Everyone is scratching for 15-30 hour a week jobs. Again, this could be the recession and 'not just Vermont.'

Volunteering is great but in VT it's a cheap excuse for 'not paying people' and a lot of places are OVERLY picky about what hours you can volunteer like they are doing you a favor. It gets old after awhile.

If you come here with a job that pays well and you can keep that job, then I guess this is a great place.

Great is relative to how your life is going.

If you come here good luck to you. I hope your experience is better than mine was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont