U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 25,753 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move up north from Maryland. We have been to northern Maine many, many times, and are much more familair with that state. We love it there, and it is top of my list of places to move to. My husband suggested that we also look at Vermont. Naturally we will have to visit since it has a spot on our list of places to consider. I recently requested relocation information for Burlington, but I'm also starting to do some research on my own.

Is VT's winter weather worse than ME's? We're looking at Portland and that general area, and I know the winters there aren't as bad as up north. I've visited Maine during mud season too, so I know all about that. (And blackfly.) I love cold weather, so I don't find snow and ice to be particularly daunting. It would be nice to live in a place that doesn't treat snow and ice like it's a national disaster - you'd think that people in MD have never experienced winter before the way they carry on about it.

In looking through this forum I've come away with very mixed feelings about VT. There really seems to be a clear divide between people who love it or hate it. I got much less of a sense of that from the ME forum. How similar is VT to ME? I have a basic knowledge about ME's economy, etc.

I am fortunate enough to work for a company that is very flexible with regards to working from home - so my job is portable. My husband on the other hand will be looking for a new line of work after a 10 year career that he has decided to leave. Jobs are difficult to find every where these days, is it particularly bad in VT?

We are outdoorsy people who are looking for a slower paced life, in a state that has a lower cost of living than Maryland (which is quite expensive). We have a 6% sales tax here, and income and property taxes are also high. Add the high cost of living to that and it's ridiculous. Housing and rents are through the roof, unless you want to live in a questionable area.

We don't want big city living, but would prefer a more densly populated area than rural - but not suburban sprawl. Right now the town we live in has a population of about 55,000 and the area we live in is walkable and bikeable to shops, etc.

Where we move will be determined first by where my husband finds work, but we would like to compile a short list in order to get our planning started. We would like to be ready to go in about a year or two.

Any information you kind VT folks can offer will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyS View Post
Jobs are difficult to find every where these days, is it particularly bad in VT?
The main reason if we leave..yes, jobs are very hard to find. Maybe there is a backdoor or old boy network but I have only worked 6 months in 2 years. Going on a year and more of being unemployed.

VT has much of what you want and is a very nice place.

If money is not a problem, then I say go for it.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM

894 posts, read 1,283,593 times
You know ME and like it. Both states have punished themselves with high tax and regulatory schemes. Although recently ME has embraced the laffer curve and claim they are going forward to more human friendly tax schemes. VT state has economic problems as do many states but the VT legislature is full speed ahead with the same old stuff. I'd go with ME I'm not that familiar with ME having only lived there briefly for a summer job but they seem to have more going on.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM

8 posts, read 25,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
You know ME and like it. Both states have punished themselves with high tax and regulatory schemes. Although recently ME has embraced the laffer curve and claim they are going forward to more human friendly tax schemes. VT state has economic problems as do many states but the VT legislature is full speed ahead with the same old stuff. I'd go with ME I'm not that familiar with ME having only lived there briefly for a summer job but they seem to have more going on.
Hmmm. I wonder how Maryland compares to VT? Our unofficial state motto is "If you can dream it, we will tax it."

Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM

894 posts, read 1,283,593 times
Google state tax rates VT is often number 1 always in the top 5. Tax measurements vary depending on how they go about it, but VT is always near the top. There is an expat VTer that relocated to ME for cheaper/better living that often posts here hopefully they will chime in. I've heard MD has a high tax rate, VT has high taxes and high cost of living especially factoring in weather costs(clothes, snow tires, heating, house wear and tear, etc) and third world salaries. Most folks are shocked to find out what folks do and make in VT. If there is a personal liberal idealogy driving you towards VT then it might be a good fit otherwise go for ME.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:38 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Vermont has very high taxes, high property prices and very few good paying jobs. Maine is in a similar situation but far less extreme than VT, probably because it's less extremely to the left politically than VT currently is (excepting Portland). Maine's economy is bad but there are more jobs there than VT and the taxes are lower than VT if you choose the right location there (Portland will be a high property tax area...parts of Northern Maine have very low property taxes in comparison...).

Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
As far as climate goes, just look at the USDA zone map. This will give you a good idea of what the low temps could reach. We are big gardeners so it will also give you a good idea about how short a growing season will be. i.e. how long winter will be. Most of Vermont is zone 3 and 4 with a small section of zone 5 on the Mass border. For zone 3 you are looking at temps at the coldest part of the year around -20 to -30 degrees. For zone 4 it is -20 to -30 degrees. Maine is zone 3 in the far north, zone 4 in its mid area, zone 5 on the coast and a mix of zone 5-6 at it's most southern region. If you like Portland you will still get winter, but not as harsh as most of Vermont or mid-Northern Maine.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
If you like Portland you will still get winter, but not as harsh as most of Vermont or mid-Northern Maine.

The winter I spent in Portland felt much colder than any of the 22 years I've spent in VT & NH. It was so bone-chillingly damp, so raw! I'm almost never too cold to be outside but when the February wind whipped in off the ocean I actually considered not going outside.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

The winter I spent in Portland felt much colder than any of the 22 years I've spent in VT & NH. It was so bone-chillingly damp, so raw! I'm almost never too cold to be outside but when the February wind whipped in off the ocean I actually considered not going outside.
There is the dampness from the water and the wind can be harsh, but you will get the harsh winds in areas of Vermont as well. At my home in Central Vermont, we would have to replace small sections of asphalt shingles every spring due to the high winds. It is only windy in the winter. During the summer there is hardly a breeze. It must be due to the elevation, mountains and the cold air. When we first experienced the winds, we thought a freight train was comming through the side of the house.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM

159 posts, read 349,016 times
I moved from Vermont to Maine, 20 miles west of Portland, two years ago and would never go back to vermont except to visit family and when I do I'm usually eager to leave again. I lived in vermont for over 50 years having been born and raised there and vermont of today is a far cry from the Vermont of 30 years ago. A good portion of the manufacturing industry has disappeared along with thousands of good paying jobs. My property taxes went from $4600 in vermont to $1800 in Maine on a new, larger house and here I'm within 30 minutes of Portland and the coast so I have easy access to so many more cultural activities, entertainment and shopping. But that is me and my opinion, others may like Vermonts hills better than Maines coast, climate wise they're about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or