U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,859 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Vermont to scope out possible towns to move to. We are in our early 30ís, no children, and currently living in the Midwest. I was hoping you guys could help us narrow down a list of towns to check out. (We have already visited Burlington, Woodstock, and touristy activities in Waterbury.) Here are some of the characteristics we are keeping in mind when deciding where to live.

- We would like to be close (15-20 min) to a town that has some dining, shopping, and a good library.
-A welcoming community. (Community groups/activities/volunteer opportunities)
-An area where the cost of living isnít ridiculously high. I know Vermont as a whole has a higher cost of living. We enjoy Burlington but it seems to have a pretty high cost of living)
- I am a special education teacher and my boyfriend is in finance. Are there any towns that would offer the best chance to find white collar jobs? (I know the job market isnít the best)
-We are also interested in the possibility of getting a couple acres of land. (Enough to have some chickens, gardens, maybe a goat, etc)

Any towns come to mind as a good fit? Some towns on our list of places to check out are Bennington, Middlebury, Rutland, St. Johnsbury, Brattleboro, Montpelier, any Burlington area. Do these seem like good options/ any other ideas? What towns close to Burlington should we check out?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM

441 posts, read 839,068 times
My husband and I moved here about five years ago. My advice to you is to rent for a year before you buy. I wish someone had given me that advice. I love the Burlington area. Shelburne and Charlotte are beautiful towns but a bit expensive. I love Hinesburg because it is not far from Williston and Burlington but still very country.
Bennington is a nice town and if you can't find work there you can always travel a little farther and work in Albany.
Did you ever think of renting a small apt. in Burlington for a few months and then look around to see what area is best for you?
Good luck to you both!!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 AM

10,282 posts, read 11,174,268 times
I agree with the advice to rent for a year or so before you buy.

I'm biased, but I don't think there is a better place to live in Vermont than Montpelier, where I have lived for twenty-six years. We have everything you're looking for, except that you won't find a couple of acres to buy and the cost of living is kind of high.

One alternative is East Montpelier, which is on higher terrain and has great views and probably some opportunities to buy land.

I don't know what the job market is like in finance, probably pretty challenging no matter where you look in the state. You could probably improve the chances by living somewhere you can easily commute to both Montpelier and Burlington., which are about forty minutes apart. Waterbury would fit this description, although it is kind of expensive.

Other options are Middlesex and Berlin, which has the advantage of having lower property taxes because of a lot of commercial development. You might also investigate the Mad River Valley, Warren, Waitsfield, Duxbury, Moretown, or Fayston. The commute to Montpelier or Burlington is a bit longer and property values may be out of reach, but the Valley does have a nice community feel to it.

Good luck with your relocation.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I agree with the advice to rent for a year or so before you buy.

I'm biased, but I don't think there is a better place to live in Vermont than Montpelier, where I have lived for twenty-six years. We have everything you're looking for, except that you won't find a couple of acres to buy and the cost of living is kind of high.

One alternative is East Montpelier, which is on higher terrain and has great views and probably some opportunities to buy land.

I don't know what the job market is like in finance, probably pretty challenging no matter where you look in the state. You could probably improve the chances by living somewhere you can easily commute to both Montpelier and Burlington., which are about forty minutes apart. Waterbury would fit this description, although it is kind of expensive.

Other options are Middlesex and Berlin, which has the advantage of having lower property taxes because of a lot of commercial development. You might also investigate the Mad River Valley, Warren, Waitsfield, Duxbury, Moretown, or Fayston. The commute to Montpelier or Burlington is a bit longer and property values may be out of reach, but the Valley does have a nice community feel to it.

Good luck with your relocation.
I agree. Your best bet is to live in a town with lower cost housing and lower taxes and commute to a town like Burlington or Montpelier. Rent first as mentioned earlier and then once you are here you can find what works best for you.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I agree. Your best bet is to live in a town with lower cost housing and lower taxes and commute to a town like Burlington or Montpelier. Rent first as mentioned earlier and then once you are here you can find what works best for you.

Another consideration is all the driving. Our expenses are significantly lower than many we know because we live right in town (in Rutland) and walk nearly everywhere, nearly all year long. This is a pleasure, not a chore. We're healthier, our cars last longer, and we pay less in fuel and maintenance. Not everyone's cup of tea, as some want to live in the country on lots of land. We thought that might be for us but have discovered that we're really happier as townies in a small city.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times
Brattleboro is the major town in southeastern Vermont. It is known for its urban amenities, such as restaurants and stores, and for its sense of community. In parts of Brattleboro, especially West Brattleboro, you can buy acres of land, and still be relatively close to downtown.

But Brattleboro is ultimately a rural town, not a city, and work opportunities are limited.

You are 2-3 hours from Burlington, and about 2 hours from Montpelier. You are about 20 minutes from Keene, a small city in New Hampshire, and about 45-minutes to an hour from Northampton, a small city in Massachusetts.

Commuting here is not fun in the winter. Although roads are plowed quickly and well, it is still a hassle. And because this is the snow belt, you are expected to be at work, and be there on time.

But if you live in the midwest, you are probably in the snow belt as well and living with the same expectations.

But here it is very hilly, which adds to the treachery of driving in the winter.

Also, I would suggest that you look for available jobs before you come here.

Good luck with your exploration.

Last edited by arel; 10-18-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 PM

17,752 posts, read 53,902,796 times
Rent. Consider Vergennes area.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,045,231 times
I think that Waterbury would provide everything you're looking for. It's a wonderful little community with great volunteering opportunities, a nice downtown with restaurants, a great coffee place and a pretty park with free concerts all summer, and its surrounded by open land where you could buy the acreage you're looking for.

The state is always looking for teachers so you could probably find a position within a reasonable driving distance. I don't know what the opportunities are like for someone with a finance background, but most towns have financial planning consultants and banks and Burlington would only be about a 30-minute drive.

I echo the advice about renting for a year before you buy. That's what we did and it gave us a feel for the area and where we could get the best value for our budget.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times
I also agree that you should rent before you buy.

Renting gives you time to decide whether or not you want to stay here. And it lets you move on without worrying about selling a house.

If you decide you want to stay in the area, it gives you the freedom to take your time house hunting. You can wait to find a house and location that you really like.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,859 times
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. We will look into renting for sure.. We are heading up to Vermont next week to check out some of the towns. Anything (activities/places/restaurants) we should make sure not to miss??

Thanks for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or