U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
Smile African Americam Moving To Vermont

Hey Guys,

My family is contemplating a move to Rutland Vermont next summer and I would like to know how an african american family would be accepted there? What I mean by accepted is whether a great majority may feel uncomfortable living next door to such a family, or is there a general unease there about such a family moving into their community? I know this is probably a tough question to answer, but I'm hoping some of the natives can offer their opinion or advice, I would appreciate it.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM

73 posts, read 130,726 times
Why Rutland? Of all the places in Vermont where I would not wish to be AA (and I am biracial, but visibly an person of color) in Rut Vegas.

Some AAs have great experiences in VT and others do not. AA make up less than 2% of the population of around 600k people, so if you're used to that experience, it might not be as difficult to move here.

Most of my friends who were AAs were well educated and recruited here from companies desperate to demonstrate diversity. They quickly found other opportunities in communities with more ethnic and racial diversity and did not have good things to say about VT communities where they lived or the state as a whole.

YMMY.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,112,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
Why Rutland? Of all the places in Vermont where I would not wish to be AA (and I am biracial, but visibly an person of color) in Rut Vegas.
Why? Just curious. I live in Rutland and I have non-white clients and acquaintances who seem fine here, but I haven't asked about their experiences around race issues here. Maybe I should.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,163,111 times
I can't speak about Rutland, but as a non-AA person of color (Hispanic/Italian) I would have to warn you that you will stick out like a black sheep in Vermont.

I have lived here for eight years and still get frequent comments about my dark hair/olive skin, etc. No one has ever said anything racist, but sometimes it's offputting, like when I was at the lake this summer and a stranger commented that "It must be nice to have dark skin and not have to worry about getting sunburned."

I've also been told I look "exotic" more times than I can count. And, it's hard to connect with other ethnic people.

If you're serious about moving to Vermont, I'd suggest a city like Burlington, which has a higher AA and non-white population than any place else in the state.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:19 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,946,401 times
If you move to Brattleboro or Burlington you'll be inundated by people wanting to add you to their friendship rosters of diversity. You will be quite coveted.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,868,220 times
i am AA love vacationing in VT and have contemplated living there but NOT Rutland. Burlington or brattleboro maybe or Mt P but not Rutland.

why rutland?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,868,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
If you move to Brattleboro or Burlington you'll be inundated by people wanting to add you to their friendship rosters of diversity. You will be quite coveted.
sadly, i wish that were true but i havent found that white libs there care much for racial diversity there, they may say it but i havent experienced much niceness

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM

5,243 posts, read 3,508,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofgold View Post
Hey Guys,

My family is contemplating a move to Rutland Vermont next summer and I would like to know how an african american family would be accepted there? What I mean by accepted is whether a great majority may feel uncomfortable living next door to such a family, or is there a general unease there about such a family moving into their community? I know this is probably a tough question to answer, but I'm hoping some of the natives can offer their opinion or advice, I would appreciate it.
Have you considered Middlebury area?
(taxes are quite high there though)just to warn you.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 PM

324 posts, read 131,201 times
Are you insane? If you have children, then I'd strongly suggest NOT moving to Vermont. Your children need to grow up in a more diverse area. They will deal a lot with stereotypes... Just think about your children before and if you move up here. Diverse cities are always the way to go.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM

73 posts, read 130,726 times
"If you move to Brattleboro or Burlington you'll be inundated by people wanting to add you to their friendship rosters of diversity. You will be quite coveted."

I have lived in VT for awhile and have not found that to be the case. Maybe they already have an AA friend.

I agree with Bennie Flowers. I can't begin to tell you how many times folks in VT have made assumptions about my class status and background based on my race. Saying things like, "you must not be used to a place like this."

No, I'm not. I was raised in a gated community by two doctors and most people I know had all their teeth and more than a 7th grade education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont