U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM

53 posts, read 312,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Montpelier is a unique awesome place to live. I love where I live now, about 20 min away but the 3 years I lived there were great. If you know where to park it's not that bad. Hubbard Park is sweet...maybe just a few too many lawyers:wink:
Yeah, someone else mentioned the parking issues in Montpelier. Can someone expand on this. What about pay lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Yeah, someone else mentioned the parking issues in Montpelier. Can someone expand on this. What about pay lots?
The population is around 7/8,000 and I think I read that 20,000 people work there being the state capital. If I don't find a place along State or Main St and I don't mind walking a couple of blocks, I usually park in the lot behind the City Hall. Parking behind Sarduci's in the renovated Stone Way area, as well.

If your one of those people that has to park within 30 feet of the place your going to, might be a problem. . I like walking around Montpelier, it's a cool little city. Here is a pic I took years ago.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,541 times
Wonderful posts from all and sundry here.

I live (and always will) in Burlington, so I'm partial...But having said that

- I love Montpelier. It's a bit small for me, but charming as heck, and homes are indeed less expensive in Montpelier compared to Burlington. I regularly go to Montpelier and always enjoy it. Nice photo MRV!

Bikes are mentioned frequently...
Burlington has a whole network of Bike paths. There may be lots in Montpelier, but in Burlington there are miles and miles of them. One goes right by my house (and I live in town). There's a waterfront park with a hands-on children's museum devoted to the natural history of the lake and the region. There's a bike path right outside the front door that will take you INTO the Lake and through several townships and a dozen little parks.

Now - Parking...I've never had trouble parking in either town and I've lived here for a while. Decades even.

I'm told by a friend who goes to The New England Culinary Institute that parking in Montpelier is tricky. And everybody complains about parking in Burlington. But in Burlington, people forget the City parking garages (people in VT know ahat parking garages are...we're just not quite sure why anybody would bother with one ;-) ) which are free for 2 hours at a clip. I live walking distance from downtown, and walk everywhere whenever I can. But I parked once this morning to have my bass repaired, then I parked again this afternoon to pick it up. I don't get the problem. Better to hunt for a space than to have to drive your truck across the street for coffee because there isn't a way to walk across the street...

Sorry - rant over...

David Beckett

Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
Default Montpelier parking fine if you can walk

My husband and I love hanging out in Montpelier. When we go downtown, we usually find a spot right on one of the main streets. But usually we just drive up Elm Street (Rt 12) or other street heading out of town and park in the endless FREE on-street parking in residential neighborhoods. Then we walk back into town. I admit that is less fun if it's pouring rain or sleeting, but it's still fine.

Local business owners have told me of parking woes for them and their customers. If I had a business there that depended on customers having easy access, I think I'd pick a spot just far enough out of downtown to have its own driveway.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,962 times
I believe Montpelier's high school was just rated number 5 in the nation. I had no idea it was that good.

However, I think the house prices in Montpelier are significantly higher than stated.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,812 times
Yes, I read about the high school as well...I think that's awesome. Other schools made the list as well (US News & World Report top high schools)...from the Stowe Reporter:

Stowe was one of five Vermont schools to receive a bronze medal rating; the other schools are Arlington Memorial, Danville School, Hazen Union and Randolph Union. No Vermont schools earned silver.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 18,140 times
My sister works in Montpelier and lives about 30 minutes drive south of it. I've visited her quite a bit and met her for lunch and dinner, and gone out to the movies and to things like the New Year's Eve parade. I love some of the shopping--a Zutano outlet for example, and there's a farm a few miles out of town that has a maple syrup and novelties store and they have these maple softie ice cream cones that I always go out of my way to get if the weather is at all warm. I think Montpelier is a really nice place to visit but I've never lived there. It has just enough of a city/big town feel to make it a treat when you've been in a very rural place for a while.

Good coffee, too, and a good toy store. The bakery connected with the cooking school--is it the New England Culinary Institute? is excellent.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally7 View Post
My sister works in Montpelier and lives about 30 minutes drive south of it. I've visited her quite a bit and met her for lunch and dinner, and gone out to the movies and to things like the New Year's Eve parade. I love some of the shopping--a Zutano outlet for example, and there's a farm a few miles out of town that has a maple syrup and novelties store and they have these maple softie ice cream cones that I always go out of my way to get if the weather is at all warm. I think Montpelier is a really nice place to visit but I've never lived there. It has just enough of a city/big town feel to make it a treat when you've been in a very rural place for a while.

Good coffee, too, and a good toy store. The bakery connected with the cooking school--is it the New England Culinary Institute? is excellent.
Yup, maple creamee's all year round at the Morse Farm, creamee's are like soft ice cream but much higher fat content....hmmmmm

Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 48,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
I was in Montpelier today it took me whole thirty seconds to find parking spot on the School Street.
If you work for the State of VT somewhere along the State Street then you have to hunt parking spot due to very limited number of parking spaces around 133 State but if you are staying few hours and all free parking spaces are taken than paid parking around Post Office , theater is few bucks . Whole issue is about private parking next to the Shaw's , guy who owns it was getting no money from City of Montpelier or State but he was slammed with the tax so last year he said enough and blocked parking and then people who feel entitled for free parking decide to create issue . Montpelier PD is mostly paid from parking revenues .
be very carefully if you decide to by property in Montpelier houses under $ 200000 are old , insulation, wiring, plumbing plus tax for house in that price range is between $3000 and $4000 .
By the way I work in Montpelier .
We are looking to buy place in Middlesex . it is 6 miles from Montpelier .
Barre has all bums and Montpelier has all weirdos LOL( Cent. VT Saying)

Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,745,248 times
Funny I made this post originally over 2.5 years ago , and now we are back to -square 1. We went and bought a house in NJ and now want out. We are back to looking at Vermont.

For a job, I would bring my job with me. I would ideally prefer to in the long run work for (or start my own) local company. Obviously this is the #1 concern for most. Making it will not be a question of finances, at least for now.

I think it is most important to mention what my wife and I are mainly trying to escape is the people around here that do not seem to care about wasting anything (the land, natural resources, etc.) and then of course this ties in directly with the garbage they feed themselves (and what the food they eat in turn eats) and the companies they support. I know that we've got an uphill battle since this is the majority of America but we are sort of desperately seeking like minded people.

This is not to say that people that DO care do not exist around here but it is a very small almost underground community of mostly people with enough money to be able to afford to care and I would add that these people are mostly much older (we are in our late late 20s).

Anyway, how, or if, can I get some understanding if we're just going to end up feeling the same way in VT. Our general impression is that VTers (or maybe it is the flatlanding invaders) do care more, and we'd perhaps be happier around their presence.

My first thought would be that I would get a part time job (I'll do anything really) working for a company I believe in and shared my values. There I would hope to meet people with the similar values and interests. My wife would do the same, not necessarily at the same company.

The other side of me is saying I should give NJ a fair shot and really get involved (plow over the green yard that we are forced to faithfully mow every week [with a manually reel mower] and start a co-op of our own, etc.) before writing it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or