U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,197,317 times

Advertisements

Stuff we wouldn't for sure.
And shouldn't have.

1) Sends a message it's ok to let your Dogs run loose??
2)OK to shoot your neighbors Dog...in their yard.??

Gotta wonder what else this guy has been up to over the years but never heard of.

Wootton Acquitted In Dog-Shooting Trial - News Story - WPTZ Plattsburgh (http://www.wptz.com/news/21626489/detail.html - broken link)

Last year didn't 2 State Troopers run over someone in the road but it was of course ok too?

Last edited by Summerz; 11-18-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,609 times
A Rutland Sheriff pulled me as I left my driveway for an
expired reg sticker. I was about 50 yards away from my driveway.
He called a friend of his to tow the car. He wouldnt let me drive it
back. He told me if I didnt take money out of an ATM and give them
cash, he would 'lose the car'. All three of us drove to an ATM, drained
it, handed them the cash, and they dropped the car in my driveway.
With this, and the way Rutland police handled a few high profile cases
while we were there, I would be very, very afraid of any VT police.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 PM

21 posts, read 48,327 times
Did you report that to anyone? That makes no sense and I can't imagine it was legal. Don't lump all the VT police into that group. There are bad doctors teachers and lawyers too.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,998,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSouth View Post
Did you report that to anyone? That makes no sense and I can't imagine it was legal. Don't lump all the VT police into that group. There are bad doctors teachers and lawyers too.
Yeah, but the stakes seem alot higher when it's a cop that is abusing their power. Many if not most don't report these abuses and crimes because of fear of retaliation, that and the very real concern that nobody would believe you since it's your word against that of a police officer. Talk about scary!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 PM

70 posts, read 234,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSouth View Post
I agree, that does not make any sense and NJSouth is right not all cops are like this in fact is it a very, very small percentage that give all cops a bad name.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM

986 posts, read 2,033,744 times
I can understand requiring you to have the car towed, it is, of course, the law (I've been in that situation, but it was a delivery truck for work, and the ticket was written out to the company, not me). However, the cops are NOT supposed to tell you who to use to tow the car. In my case, they asked who we wanted to tow the truck. That's how it's supposed to work. They can recommend someone, but not require it.

I'll be honest. That story is almost unbelievable, especially if it went unreported.

I've never had a bad experience with a cop, FWIW.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 AM

459 posts, read 907,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Yeah, but the stakes seem alot higher when it's a cop that is abusing their power. Many if not most don't report these abuses and crimes because of fear of retaliation, that and the very real concern that nobody would believe you since it's your word against that of a police officer. Talk about scary!
I'd think the stakes would be quite high with a doctor abusing power (Josef Mengele says hello).
Also, lawyers, especially prosecutors, have a bit of power over people's lives.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 AM

459 posts, read 907,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I can understand requiring you to have the car towed, it is, of course, the law (I've been in that situation, but it was a delivery truck for work, and the ticket was written out to the company, not me). However, the cops are NOT supposed to tell you who to use to tow the car. In my case, they asked who we wanted to tow the truck. That's how it's supposed to work. They can recommend someone, but not require it.

I'll be honest. That story is almost unbelievable, especially if it went unreported.

I've never had a bad experience with a cop, FWIW.
It does sound a little far fetched.
I've never had a bad experience with a cop either, but I'm a white dude. I'm pretty sure cops can't even see me.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 AM

470 posts, read 999,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Stuff we wouldn't for sure.
And shouldn't have.

1) Sends a message it's ok to let your Dogs run loose??
2)OK to shoot your neighbors Dog...in their yard.??

Gotta wonder what else this guy has been up to over the years but never heard of.

Wootton Acquitted In Dog-Shooting Trial - News Story - WPTZ Plattsburgh (http://www.wptz.com/news/21626489/detail.html - broken link)

Last year didn't 2 State Troopers run over someone in the road but it was of course ok too?
I'm not a supporter of the police...but there isn't enough information for causal readers to make an honest judgment in this situation.

1) Where did the attack occur? In the shooter's yard or elsewhere?
2) Which dog was NOT restrained prior to the attack?
3) Did the officer have other non-lethal means at hand to use first?
4) Was the attacking known to have attacked other dogs in the past?

And a host of ther questions...

Frankly,if a dog was attacking my dog on MY property,I might use deadly force.Especially if the dog had a history of biting or snapped at or bit me when/if I tried to stop the attack.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,197,317 times
Default To answer you questions....best as I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
I'm not a supporter of the police...but there isn't enough information for causal readers to make an honest judgment in this situation.

1) Where did the attack occur? In the shooter's yard or elsewhere?
The neighbor's yard
2) Which dog was NOT restrained prior to the attack?
The Officer's dog
3) Did the officer have other non-lethal means at hand to use first?
Don't know
4) Was the attacking known to have attacked other dogs in the past?
Don't know

And a host of ther questions...

Frankly,if a dog was attacking my dog on MY property,I might use deadly force.Especially if the dog had a history of biting or snapped at or bit me when/if I tried to stop the attack.
per the article

"The April 30 shooting occurred when Wootton's dog went to the neighbor's yard, where it was attacked. Wootton then allegedly retrieved his weapon and shot the attacking dog. Neighbors claimed that by the time Wootton shot their dog, his pet was out of danger"

If he cared so much he should have not let it roam in the first place just my 2 cents.

And what if you or I did what he did?
Would there be a different out come?
I don't want to bicker about it lol.
Being an animal lover it just sort of got my fur fluffed when it was going on.

There have been some other incidents with some other Police since that has happened I won't go into as I don't want to open a new can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont