Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times

Advertisements

Celebrating and reveling in poverty is not for me, but that seems to be what it takes to be happy in VT. I'm not saying no one should move there, but the expense of VT living is not entirely apparent from internet research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM

98 posts, read 350,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I find a bit of humour in the posts here regarding Tx/Vt. There is no price for peace of mind and a happy heart. If you find it in VT, as I did, Kudos!!! Whilst it's easy to lament the current financial consequences of becoming a Vermonter, not all Texans have an oil well in the back yard. While most people are complaining about the economy, I figure we (vt'ers)are all in the same boat and have always been "poor" by big city standards . So a slacking economy has not affected me one bit. I have always lived by Yankee frugality (even when I din't know what it was). So now, we're told to pinch pennies? I, for one always have. I am also proud to be living in a state with feisty, good people that display what I always called tenacity. While I was growing up it was considered Tx pride, somehow it got lost by way of commerce. I, however, find that same sense here! When relocating, I think a person only considers VT if they want to improve/enrich their lives and those people are not talking about the dollar.
Exactly. I've always been a frugal person, so the economy hasn't led us to change ANY behaviour whatsoever. I have everything I want- food in our bellies, a roof over our heads, and air in our lungs. I just prefer to have those things in a beautiful and quiet community. And that's just the way I like it! What else would we need?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
Exactly. I've always been a frugal person, so the economy hasn't led us to change ANY behaviour whatsoever. I have everything I want- food in our bellies, a roof over our heads, and air in our lungs. I just prefer to have those things in a beautiful and quiet community. And that's just the way I like it! What else would we need?
Snowtires(can be $$, plus money to have them swapped on and off), snowshovels, hats, gloves, winter coats(plural), boots(warm ones and mud proof ones, etc.), heating oil/wood/gas, chainsaw, lawnmower, weed trimmer, ladder(gotta shovel the roof and clean the chimney)
This is fun, c'mon folks add to the list.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Celebrating and reveling in poverty is not for me, but that seems to be what it takes to be happy in VT. I'm not saying no one should move there, but the expense of VT living is not entirely apparent from internet research.
Not living in poverty, plenty of lobster and whole tenderloins at my house, but I'm talking comparisons of living in Houston versus living in VT (done both without internet research ) Reality IS. I just see things from a point that maybe VT'ers have taken for granted. If you haven't been elsewhere it's much easier to become a naysayer about what you have. My house burned to the basement 2 yrs ago and even though 100% of my family is in Houston, I chose to rebuild here. The wonderful support of locals helped me to decide that. While I love my family, I moreso love the spirit of the people I am surrounded by. Just plain old "good people" that are really hard to find in America. (collectively speaking)

Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM

And considering the cost of having Beretta 9mms in every room in my house and both retail stores???? Priceless!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM

98 posts, read 350,849 times
Quote:
Snowtires(can be $$, plus money to have them swapped on and off), snowshovels, hats, gloves, winter coats(plural), boots(warm ones and mud proof ones, etc.), heating oil/wood/gas, chainsaw, lawnmower, weed trimmer, ladder(gotta shovel the roof and clean the chimney)
This is fun, c'mon folks add to the list.
I suppose I could just bring all that with me rather than leaving it all in Houston. Vermont isn't the only state where you need things to live. DUH.
I can't even believe I'm wasting my time on replying to such an idiotic post.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Celebrating and reveling in poverty is not for me, but that seems to be what it takes to be happy in VT.

If having what we want and need, saving for the future, and interacting with lots of other folks doing the same is "reveling in poverty," then I guess we're using different dictionaries.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
...Whilst it's easy to lament the current financial consequences of becoming a Vermonter, not all Texans have an oil well in the back yard. While most people are complaining about the economy, I figure we (vt'ers)are all in the same boat and have always been "poor" by big city standards . So a slacking economy has not affected me one bit. I have always lived by Yankee frugality (even when I din't know what it was). So now, we're told to pinch pennies? I, for one always have. I am also proud to be living in a state with feisty, good people that display what I always called tenacity. While I was growing up it was considered Tx pride, somehow it got lost by way of commerce. I, however, find that same sense here! When relocating, I think a person only considers VT if they want to improve/enrich their lives and those people are not talking about the dollar.
Sounds like reveling in poverty to me. Whatever makes ya happy. It is dishonest not to mention the economic opportunity/COL of VT. But I guess we've done that. Mount up your snow tires Texans and head north for the good living.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Sounds like reveling in poverty to me. Whatever makes ya happy. It is dishonest not to mention the economic opportunity/COL of VT. But I guess we've done that. Mount up your snow tires Texans and head north for the good living.
Ooohhhh! So "poverty" means anything less than conspicuous consumption and pride in acquisitiveness. Okay, now we're getting somewhere with word definitions.

I've not seen anyone here object to honest discussion of COL and (lack of) VT economic opportunities.
I've seen reasonable objections to name-calling, stereotyping, generalizations, and attempts to make predictions.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

maybe "mustmove" is just that! go south young person! Don't know,can't say! I made mine from down south and brought it here!!! I live in God's country every single day!!! You don't realize that_ mustmove!!! get it???? Noone should ever live in a place they dont feel blessed to be in. WHAT'S KEEPING YOU HERE AND TAINTING the state for anyone else?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont