Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved back home after completing college and am looking at various entry-level positions that I won't have to relocate for. I have decided that my radius is at most 45 minutes from Montpelier (so, Burlington, St. J., Bethel, would be examples of what my limit is).

For now though, I am looking at a position in Stowe, Vermont. Nothing extraordinary - entry level, but with this economy and my career goals, there isn't really that much out there. Importantly though, this is the first full-time position I have been interviewed for.

When I told my dad of this (who subsequently brought it up with a neighbor), they both concluded that given the choice, driving to Stowe is one of the worst commutes. They cited traffic (state worker rush to Waterbury, and Route 100 generally), and conditions (Route 100) for their reasoning.

Since I went to school in Boston, and interned in downtown (participating in a legit rush hour commute), I scoffed at their notions of "traffic." I admit, my winter driving skills aren't the greatest, but I am a decent driver (no stops or at fault accidents, 6 years and counting), and I do drive to Stowe frequently to go skiing already, so I'm used to that road at least on the weekend.

I guess I have two questions. First, are my dad's and neighbors concerns all that legitimate? Will I encounter situations like bumper-to-bumper on I-89, Route 100? Snow covered Route 100?

Second, what should I make my priority: job I like / number of hours I desire, but with a possibly risky commute; or safe commute (e.g. find a job in Montpelier, or Burlington [all expressway driving]), but with less hours [part-time]?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 PM

227 posts, read 608,111 times
I dont know anything about the traffic or driving conditions, but I can say that at your age, you should take the job that gives you the most out of life. If it is where you want to be, and gives you the experience you desire, it is the right job to take. Don't just take a job because of the pay, because its the first one that comes along in a crappy market, or the expectations of others. Take the job that gets you where you want to go in 5, 10, 20 years.
Does this job finance your desired lifestyle?
Does this job give you experiences that will be useful in your career field or apply to future goals?

Second, if traffic is such a concern, because the job is full time and hence hopefully pays a single young person's living wage, maybe you should look for a place to live that is closer to the site of employment, and therefore not have a commute to worry about. I know it's cheaper living with mom and dad (if i am wrong, I apologise, that is what i assume from your post) and not so bad, since you're fresh from school, but I really think you'll be happier out on your own in the long run. I speak from experience.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
If the job works take it. Long commutes on crappy roads is a VT reality. No economical way to move around the state chasing jobs so you might as well get used to it. It is part of modern VT living.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
I commuted for work from Montpelier to Stowe for awhile. Have good tires and give yourself extra time if the roads are dicey and it's definately doable. A bunch of people commute every day from Montpelier to Burlington, both ways.

If the job is in Stowe Village then be prepared for some bumper to bumper getting into the village during the busy times on the weekends and holidays both winter and summer.

If you work on the Mountain Rd or at the resort you can bypass that by taking the Moscow/Barlow Rd shortcut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont