Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 AM

50 posts, read 100,986 times

Advertisements

I've spent quite a bit of winter time in Vermont and have always wondered about something that maybe a resident can explain to me:

Mostly every house I've seen up there does not use curtains in their windows.

Is it because they're a fire hazard with all the fireplaces up there? I'd imagine they'd be widespread in use because they offer some insulation from the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpwpny View Post
Mostly every house I've seen up there does not use curtains in their windows.
Really? How strange! We have insulating shades, curtains, and other window treatments. I just looked outside at about six houses on our street and they all have curtains. That's not nearly a significant sampling and you've got me curious, so I'll be checking this out today when I run errands.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I have some insulating curtains on the drafty windows, curtains &/or shades in the bedrooms, window treatments in the good windows, and use plastic sheeting on the big picture window fall through spring.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I don't know. We've got curtains.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Hmmm, maybe the kids grew up and moved away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLAlYEJQmeI

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hmmm, maybe the kids grew up and moved away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLAlYEJQmeI

LMAO!!! One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
We have gorgeous mountain views from every window of our home. Curtains would block them.

This being said we do have very sheer lace curtains in our living room and I have pretty valances on our kitchen/dining room windows. They add a bit of privacy w/o blocking the view.

In our bedrooms we have Roman shades, which we lift up during the day to let in the sunlight and views. We close them at night for privacy although our nearest neighbor is two acres away so it's not as if anyone is looking into our windows.

I think that a lot of Vermonters don't bother with curtains b/c they don't need the privacy they afford. It's not like living in NJ when we could pass a cup of sugar to our next door neighbor through the window.

Also, in rural areas like the one I live in people care less about aesthetics and decorating. It's probably different in more urban and upscale areas. JMO.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Never realized that people drove around looking into everyone's window's to see if there are curtains. I guess Martha Stewart might do that.

Hmmmm, maybe I should have some curtains. No cars to worry about living on a quiet dirt road but you got me thinking...there are few squirrels who seem to like hanging out on some nearby trees that DO appear to be looking in.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
OBH, you put plastic sheeting on your big window? that's a new one on me, I've never heard that before. That being said, it is amazing how any sort of window treatment from curtains to shades to shutters can help insulate a room from the cold. It really helps keep heating costs down.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
OBH, you put plastic sheeting on your big window? that's a new one on me, I've never heard that before. That being said, it is amazing how any sort of window treatment from curtains to shades to shutters can help insulate a room from the cold. It really helps keep heating costs down.
My mom has always put clear plastic over the windows. You can't even tell it's there and it makes such a difference keeping cold out. I just put it on all my windows. It's 6 degrees here this morning and I have my heat turned off. I think it will save a lot of money over the course of the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont