U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Bernanke's Financial Laboratory
513 posts, read 1,075,183 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

I told the wife last weekend that I'm fed-up with getting served cheap syrup made from corn and God knows what else, and from where else. Heck, I've probably been eating paint chips from China judging by the ingredients list on some of the stuff she's been buying.

Anyway, I threatened last weekend that if she didn't buy me some real Maple syrup that I was trading her in on a nice Vermont babe that would serve it.

Oh, what a delicious breakfast I had today: bacon, sausage links, French Toast made from French bread, covered in butter, and topped with real Maple syrup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: On the west side of the Tetons
1,355 posts, read 2,082,628 times
Reputation: 2616
Yup. Real Vermont syrup is the only way to go. Since my family is awesome, they ship it to me in Idaho so I don't have to suffer. Syrup and Cabot cheese, yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Rutland, VT
1,822 posts, read 4,523,646 times
Reputation: 772
I once ordered pancakes in a Marblehead, MA diner that was clearly a local favorite. I poured syrup over them, took a bite, and nearly hurled. The waitress confirmed it was corn syrup and said she could bring me real maple syrup for an extra charge -- well, duh, please do, along with a whole new breakfast, and next time maybe warn a person!

Ugh, I have never tasted such gack. I mean, I know taste is subjective but are there really people who like that stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,731,346 times
Reputation: 4688
There is nothing as good as real syrup from Vermont or Canada.
I used to buy it occasionally in NY but it costs too much to buy here. I knew a gal whose husband was a farmer and they sell syrup.

She quoted me a really high price. I said, "What about for friends?" and she said that is the price.

Yeah, real is worth it but the cost...???

Sheryl...
When you eat out around New England, they will often warn you in restaurants that 'real syrup' is X amount extra. I've seen it in several states.

This corn syrup stuff...they can't call it maple syrup legally...it has to be called 'pancake syrup' or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,937 posts, read 22,225,638 times
Reputation: 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
There is nothing as good as real syrup from Vermont or Canada.
I used to buy it occasionally in NY but it costs too much to buy here. I knew a gal whose husband was a farmer and they sell syrup.

She quoted me a really high price. I said, "What about for friends?" and she said that is the price.

Yeah, real is worth it but the cost...???

Sheryl...
When you eat out around New England, they will often warn you in restaurants that 'real syrup' is X amount extra. I've seen it in several states.

This corn syrup stuff...they can't call it maple syrup legally...it has to be called 'pancake syrup' or something else.
It is expensive to buy. It takes a lot of work (and sap and fuel and there's the equipment investment) to make a gallon of syrup. I got mine for "free," as part of my pay for helping someone make a big batch (lots and lots of syrup...). Not really "free" though as I worked for it. But other years I've gotten it cheap from friends...need to know the right people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,188,763 times
Reputation: 1138
If it isn't maple syrup, it sure doesn't belong on pancakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Rutland, VT
1,822 posts, read 4,523,646 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It is expensive to buy. It takes a lot of work (and sap and fuel and there's the equipment investment) to make a gallon of syrup. I got mine for "free," as part of my pay for helping someone make a big batch (lots and lots of syrup...). Not really "free" though as I worked for it. But other years I've gotten it cheap from friends...need to know the right people...

We buy it regularly in bulk from the co-op, which makes it a tad less expensive. I like the dark grades better. Once in a while someone gives it to us as a gift and we're always grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Vermont
3,328 posts, read 8,771,096 times
Reputation: 1991
The Christmas Tree Shops sometimes carry grade B from Maple Grove or McClure's. Reasonable price too.
__________________
City Data Terms of Service:
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Rutland, VT
1,822 posts, read 4,523,646 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
The Christmas Tree Shops sometimes carry grade B from Maple Grove or McClure's. Reasonable price too.

Thanks! I had no idea maple syrup was at stores besides grocery or Vermont gift stores. Where is a Christmas Tree Shop? Do they tend to have lower prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Vermont
3,328 posts, read 8,771,096 times
Reputation: 1991
It's a big box chain (your favorite ).

Christmas Tree Shops - Don't You Just Love a Bargain
__________________
City Data Terms of Service:
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top