Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM

167 posts, read 354,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Older than 20 years. Supposedly a stagecoach in the late 1800's was attacked and knocked over by it during a storm that washed the road out and stranded them. The early White settlers went out in hunting parties after it and sometimes got shots at it but never got it, whatever it was they were seeing (an ancestor of mine was in one of the groups). The Natives had seen it before that.

I'm not the kind that believes in Bigfoot and I don't want to hijack this thread. However I was tent camping last October in Danville VT during a moose hunt. I was awakened by sounds in the middle of the night not far from my tent. They were the most bizarre howls I've ever heard and they startled me. I was too afraid to even come out of the tent until morning and I'm very familiar and comfortable in the woods. When I got home I searched out Bigfoot vocalizations on the internet and I found the exact sounds I heard that night. While searching I found several Bigfoot stories from the Bennington area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
I'm not the kind that believes in Bigfoot and I don't want to hijack this thread. However I was tent camping last October in Danville VT during a moose hunt. I was awakened by sounds in the middle of the night not far from my tent. They were the most bizarre howls I've ever heard and they startled me. I was too afraid to even come out of the tent until morning and I'm very familiar and comfortable in the woods. When I got home I searched out Bigfoot vocalizations on the internet and I found the exact sounds I heard that night. While searching I found several Bigfoot stories from the Bennington area as well.
I'm quite familiar with all the sounds one should expect to hear in the woods here, and others that may also be heard in some places at times (wolves, catamounts, etc.). There's a sound that doesn't belong to any known inhabitant of the woods, that more than one person has heard here...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
I have lived in North Bennington (for about 6 years) and I have grown to really LOVE this area. The community is strong, there is a great arts presence and beautiful natural surroundings.
Please feel free to ask me any specifics about the area.

Last edited by vter; 06-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: sorry, no links to personal blogs. Put it in your profile instead. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 8,283 times
I totally agree with the Wingfoot message on Bennington VT. His remarks are an honest assessment of this community. I made the mistake of moving to this incredibly unfriendly community a few years ago. Albeit located in an extremely scenic area, it is a town comprised of cliques--- thus the newcomer forever considered an interloper. There is no 'welcome wagon' in Bennington. I have lived all over the world, and I've never seen such an unfriendly place. It's also extremely snobbish, while at the same time, there is a lot of poverty and a huge drug and alcohol problem. Most decent jobs, albeit there there are very few of them, are obtained through 'connections' or status. This bucolic community is sort of like one you'd see portrayed in a Stephen King or Shirley Jackson novel.... Oh..and Shirley Jackson had a less than positive experience living amongst the natives, thus prompting her to write "The Lottery." As you can well imagine, the 'natives' don't think kindly of this woman. Bucolic as it may appear, it truly gives new meaning to the phrase "beauty is only skin deep."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
"As someone who lived there, I'd say its too close to NYS Capitol area to really have ever developed much personalty of its own, some posh areas as some rich folks will pay thru the nose for a VT address.

But much of it is rather scruffy with nevertheless high real estate prices. A high cost, low wage area ,the most unfriendly, snobbish, place I've ever lived, and I've lived from coast to coast."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont