U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM

49 posts, read 94,878 times

Advertisements

I would like to know everything you can tell me about Bennington and pics would be greatQ Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Well they have a really great pottery factory and store there, there's a big monument in town that looks kind of like a small Washington monument, there's a school there for rich girls, and Robert Frost had a home and is buried there in a cool looking cemetery.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
Bennington, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bennington Vermont - in Scenic Southern Vermont, Recreation, Lodging, Dining, Shopping & History

Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 13,274,889 times
Default Specifics

you need to be more specific regarding the information you are interested in.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 AM

84 posts, read 180,053 times
Someone told me that Bennington has the worlds smallest Walmart. True????

I always seem to be stuck in traffic near the downtown. However, they are making progress on the north-east bypass. Only in VT could a bypass take so long to construct.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
However, they are making progress on the north-east bypass.
Meanwhile, the bypass may be costing Bennington local businesses. Nature's Closet is moving to Williamstown, MA:

Bypass project cited in downtown retailer's move

Bennington Banner - Neal P. Goswami - ‎Nov 20, 2009‎
A bypass -- just the word alone," Steve Hinchliffe, owner of Nature's Closet, said Friday about the decades-long highway project. Now, Hinchliffe is citing ..

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM

84 posts, read 180,053 times
Sherylcatmom,

Wow...I know Natures Closet well. During the summer my wife and I run a hiker hostel in Manchester for Appalachian Trail and Long Trail hikers. Will be a loss for Bennington. Fortunately, Manchester has two outdoor outfitters, locally owned "Mountain Goat" and the chain store EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports).

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
I would like to know everything you can tell me about Bennington and pics would be greatQ Thanks!
You can disappear in the Bennington Triangle. Bennington is close to Glastenbury Mountain and the wilderness area with it. Interesting place to hike/hunt/trap/etc., but they never found most of the bodies of the people who disappeared there in the 40's and 50's. To give some of the less known facts (?) about the area.

Bennington itself: small city, too crowded for my own tastes but some may like it. Lots of history in the area too. Oddly enough Ethan Allen IIRC left Bennington after the Revolution saying it was getting too crowded, back in the 1700's. LOL

Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,729,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can disappear in the Bennington Triangle. Bennington is close to Glastenbury Mountain and the wilderness area with it. Interesting place to hike/hunt/trap/etc., but they never found most of the bodies of the people who disappeared there in the 40's and 50's. To give some of the less known facts (?) about the area.

Bennington itself: small city, too crowded for my own tastes but some may like it. Lots of history in the area too. Oddly enough Ethan Allen IIRC left Bennington after the Revolution saying it was getting too crowded, back in the 1700's. LOL
I had never heard that one so I googled it; wow, very, very strange and creepy. Hmmm..maybe there is a door there where one crosses over into another time era. Have you ever been near that area arctic?

About 10 years ago I worked with a woman who was moving to Bennington; I think her husband was from there. Last I heard from her some years ago she really liked the town.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM

890 posts, read 2,561,279 times
Wasn't there a disappearance of a college-aged girl around Glastenbury in the '80's or even later? I saw a show on TV about it, and it was fairly recent. According to the show, they never did find her. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont