U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM

819 posts, read 1,266,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Yet more gross generalizations. I'm a native Vermonter and most of my very good friends are "flatlanders".
I think people who are bitter about "flatlanders" are just bitter/unhappy in general.
I can agree with this.........obviously there are exceptions to every rule. I now better understand some of the origins for that line of thinking however many of the folks that take that road just do it because it is the thing to do if you're "native".

I recently took some crap from someone who has lived along the NY bordr in VT for the better part of his life, but was originally born and living in MD........flatlander on flatlander crime............what's next, should I hate myself now?

The whole thing is silly in everyday practice. Each person should be judged on their merits alone not on where their parents played the baby lottery........

Just my $0.03
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
flatlander on flatlander crime............what's next, should I hate myself now?
LOL! Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonkstr View Post
Sounds like you ran into a native. Natives don't like folks from elsewhere. If you were born in another state then moved to Vermont the very next day and lived all your life in Vermont, you would always be a foreigner.
Well, in everyday life, actually you'll rarely run into it. You'll see debates on the subject on boards like this, amongst some friends...and if at a town meeting a flatlander proposes something unpopular (taxes, regulations, etc.), you might hear it, but otherwise it's usually not blatantly out in the open like the OP experienced...politics is what will usually bring it out the most, especially when the rural cleansing/wildlands project types get at it with their ideas...

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,111,142 times
Pepper. Comes in spray, fog, squirt guns, and Grizzley Bear class.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM

319 posts, read 857,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's bad dog owners everywhere. I don't like the bad cat owners much better. A neighbor let their cat run loose and it chose our garden for a litterbox. Dug up a bunch of plants. THe neighbor said "that's just fertilizer." Yeah, for the plants no longer there, on top of, using cat manure is never recommended for safety reasons. Changed their tune quick when they saw me (intended them to) with my scoped .22 guarding the garden from the garage roof. Kept their cat under control then (no I wasn't actually going to shoot it, but the owner didn't know that...).

Couldn't do that in a city or dense town though...

On another board I'm one, someone in WV has bad neighbors running dogs on their land and poaching deer with them too.
i don't take it out on the animal although i could shoot them. italk to nthe owner first and tell them if it keeps up i'm going to ret a trap and take em to the pound wich i hate as well.one year we got 13 cats 2 rabbits. & ya we had no garden that yr.

Last edited by unconscious; 01-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: spelling what else?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM

219 posts, read 408,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Fortnuately, in my twenty-six (almost twenty-seven now) years in Vermont I have found jerks to be an extreme minority.

I dunno about West Rutland! At least two people were threatening, I would hear what sounded like a woman yelling at someone and a guy went after me, when on my bike one day.

And in 1994, when in Rutland, on Park St. , my bike got stolen!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
And in 1994, when in Rutland, on Park St. , my bike got stolen!
Wow! Those are quite the experiences. My husband's been in Rutland since the '70s and me since '96. So far the only thing that's happened is one night when we left his van unlocked someone took the loose change. They left the stereo.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
Crime happens everywhere. It's often due to opportunity. Leave your doors unlocked? Keys in the car? Well, you have to use your brain. Growing up in NY I shake my head at how 'clueless' people leave bikes, scooters, and so on out unlocked on their lawns. They do not lock their doors or close their garage doors.

However, that is their prerogative. If you get robbed, though, please don't complain. This is not a fantasy world.

I heard from a cop friend a lot of crime here is due to people needing drug money. So, maybe you won't get jacked by 2 guys from a gang but you might lose your bike to some punk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont