U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 13,545 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.Just have some questions for all you Vermonters.I may be moving to Vt for work & want to get familiar with the politics & just different facts about the state that might be helpful for a interview for a job I would love to have there.Me & my wife visit VT frequently & think its a beautiful state ,so if anyone has any political or any other input please let me know.I want to learn all about the beautiful state of VT that I can.Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM

894 posts, read 1,286,595 times
Very left. Anyone claiming that there is political balance in VT has their head in the sand. If you don't agree with the politics and ignore them you will likely be happy.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM

819 posts, read 1,269,317 times
What area of VT are you speaking about?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM

16,945 posts, read 22,255,374 times
State politics tend to be mostly insanity. Locally, some areas are quite good (by that I mean more libertarian or somewhat conservative).

Even if you disagree now on libertarian or conservative being good, you won't once you see your tax bills. The far-left state politics means there's high taxes, lots of regulations, few good paying jobs...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times
You may want to attend a town meeting. I heard these get quite exciting. You can also watch them on public access on tv here.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You may want to attend a town meeting. I heard these get quite exciting. You can also watch them on public access on tv here.
Town meetings can be fun. I miss them since I moved down here where there isn't one (just a ballot).

Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 AM

190 posts, read 549,482 times
Gypsy is right, VT politics tend to operate on a small scale.

As a whole and at the legislative level, VT is liberal. Individuals tend to be more libertarian, and this increases as you extend to more rural areas. There seems to be a stereotype that all VTers are liberal hippies, and while there certainly are such types they are greatly over-exaggerated in the media. On the same token, you won't find many extremely religious conservatives here either.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,212,063 times
State politics have become increasingly liberal in the last thirty years, with Democrats and Progressives/Independents having a 100-50 edge in the House and 23-7 edge in the Senate. Within these large majorities, of course, there is considerable variation from the very liberal to pretty conservative.
Local politics can be highly variable, and in most towns not focused on political parties. Most of the cities and larger towns have gone from holding a town meeting to determining municipal and school budgets and local elected officials by Australian ballot. I've never lived in a town with a town meeting, and I've kind of missed out on that.
A lot will depend on what part of the state you want to live in and what kind of work you're looking for. Most of the newspapers in the state have web pages. The ones that I go to daily or weekly include the Burlington Free Press, The Barre-Montpelier Times Argus, and Burlington's Seven Days.

Lots of municipalities also have web pages to give you a sense of what's going on.

There is also a significant and lively blogosphere, particularly on the left.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Not to forget, for newspapers with websites, the Caledonian Record for the NEK: Denied:1up! Software ()

Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM

459 posts, read 907,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
State politics tend to be mostly insanity. Locally, some areas are quite good (by that I mean more libertarian or somewhat conservative).

Even if you disagree now on libertarian or conservative being good, you won't once you see your tax bills. The far-left state politics means there's high taxes, lots of regulations, few good paying jobs...
Disagreeing with the far left lunacy here certainly doesn't mean that the answer is libertarianism or conservatism.
Libertarianism is great, but it's like communism, it only works on paper (at least the extreme version).
Conservative= Christian theocracy= unconstitutional. Period.
Ideology is dead.
Moderation is key.
Confronting problems on an issue by issue basis without a set of unbreakable rules would make VT, and the US, a much better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont