Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 21,238 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to move to Vermont in the future and just wanted some guidance. I'm from NY and have only been to VT for snowboarding, but have recently, and now that I will soon need to set out on my own... want to settle in Vermont.

What I'm looking for is varied though and hoping someone could help.

1. I need to be within 15 - 40 minutes from a city that I can find a job. I will have my CPA (here's to hoping I pass the exams) and working in NYC as public auditor. However, I think NYC is overrated, additionally, the surrounding suburbs are expensive and more developed then I'd like to live... which brings me to...

2. I want to live in a forest or mountains. Alright, not smack dab in the middle of one, lol, but in a foresty area. I love the mountains, I love evergreen trees. I love the privacy. But growing up in the suburbs, in a house like the rest, on it's little square lot right next to everyone else... I don't want that. I'd like to settle into a retreat of sorts: private, quiet, relaxing. The same goes for...

3. The town. While I am okay with working within a busier city (e.g. Burlington), I'd like the place I live to be a bit more quaint.

4. While I do not have kids now, I definitely want some... so nice schools in the area would be great.

5. Lastly, I'm looking for reasonable prices on homes. Possibly even considering building a home. I'd hope 350k - 500k could get me something 2000 - 3000 sq. ft. Basically, $150 or less per square foot.

Anyway, I apologize for this long post. But hopefully someone could help me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'm a huge booster for Montpelier. Here's a comment I posted on another thread about where to live in Vermont:

I've lived in Montpelier since 1983 and I think it's a great town. The population is about 8,000, and we have a compact, lively downtown. The population probably goes up to about 20,000 during the day, and more during the legislative session. Montpelier is the smallest capital city in the country.

Geographically, Montpelier grew up along two river valleys, the Winooski and the North Branch, which contributes to its compactness. Lots of people who work in the city are close enough to walk downtown to work. I don't know where you're coming from, but you may find housing less expensive to purchase than where you're living now. It's not cheap, though, and I suspect that rentals aren't cheap either. There is a lot of older housing in town, which you may enjoy for the well-worn charm of the Victorian buildings.

When I first moved here there wasn't much going on at night. Now there are more restaurants and enough going on so that you can hear live music at one or more of the local venues every night of the week. We also have a great professional theater, and both a mainstream and independent movie theater right downtown.

Useful sources of information:

The city's web page.
The local newspapers:
The Times Argus
The Bridge

For local real estate:
NNEREN (http://http//nneren.com/detailed.php?qclass=&state=VT&county=Washington - broken link)

Politically the town is very liberal. Also, because of the scale of the place, it's not at all unusual to see the members of the Supreme Court walking downtown to have lunch together, or to see our senior U.S. Senator, Pat Leahy, walking around downtown or shopping at the local supermarket.

Feel free to PM me for more questions, and good luck on the job hunt.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Montpelier is a nice town and the Burlington area would be a good fit as well. When you decide to move to Vermont, you should consider renting first. Not to see if you will like the state as a residence, but to make sure you like the area you are in. Many people make the mistake of buying a home in a small or rural town with the fantasy of living somewhere Norman Rockwell like or in the wilderness. Only you will know that answer. My experience is similar to yours. I lived in the tri-state area and was sick of being packed in like a sardine. I bought a small farm in a rural town with complete privacy and loved it at first. After a year I had a hard time with everything that comes with rural life. Traveling 15-30 minutes for everything from groceries, entertainment, gas, etc. The other advantage of renting is if you want to live closer to a larger town, you can just move without waiting a year+ to sell a home.
The amount of money you have to spend will get you something nice anywhere in the state. The towns of Montpelier and Burlington as well as several others are city to suburban like, but many of the surrounding towns are suburban to rural. I live in Colchester which is 10 minutes from downtown Burlington. We have several acres of land and our lot is private. If I want to spend the night out with family or friends it's a short drive or cab ride.
You will want to be closer to Montpelier, Burlington, etc for work. It's possible to find work in a smaller area, but the income will be much smaller. Another thing to consider is commute times. a 30-40 minute drive in the summer is very different from a 30-40 minute drive in the winter. The more isolated you are the worse the side and back roads will be. I worked in Burlington when I first moved here. My place was 50 minutes from Burlington in good weather. In the snow I would have to add 30-60 minutes to my commute (not fun after a few years).

Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Great points, Vette.

As I think about my post, I realize that I wasn't really thinking about the OP's desire for country living. In the Montpelier area I would look at East Montpelier, Middlesex, and Berlin. They're all relatively accessible, with Middlesex being closer to Burlington and Berlin closer to the Interstate than the others. If you want to look a little farther out Worcester is another option, although once you're out there you're literally driving for every economic transaction.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
I'm only going to say that you can get homes for well under that price, and to not overpay for any real estate.

As far as jobs go, that is never really easy here...do some job searching before you settle on a location.

I think East Montpelier would be a better choice than the Burlington area, if you can find a decent job. It'll certainly be more affordable than anything around Burlington, for real estate.

If you do go rural, one thing longtime rural residents will know to do regarding the distance from shopping...buy more, less often. Only buy perishable items like milk/etc. as needed, or find a nearby source...

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 21,238 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I was definitely think Montpelier, so it seems somewhere around there or around Burlington even (as long as drive isn't too long), would be best.

I also understand the sentiment regarding winter drives. So, I think you'd all be right about not wanting to drive an extra 30+ minutes in the winter all the time because of terrible back roads. But considering jack said he lives in Colchester, 10 minutes from Burlington, yet still has several acres and privacy.... something like that is very enticing. Probably more along the lines of what I'd want to do.

Like I said, I don't want to be stuck anywhere or too far in the country just because it will likely become a pain, especially come winter... even simple shopping will be difficult.

But it seems within 15 minutes, which likely isn't too bad of a drive even in winter conditions, I can find the privacy I want. Without sacrificing the proximity to my job, food shopping, entertainment, and so on.

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems I'll definitely look around the Burlington or Montpelier area, especially considering these two have the best job opportunities it seems? Hopefully, can find a nice job around Montpelier, if it is more affordable (and the jobs are relatively even in pay). Also, I will definitely rent first.

But thank for some of the suggestions. I'll look into East Montpelier, Middlesex, and Berlin. And for Burlington there was Colchester.

Again, any other advice on places is welcome and I really appreciate the help so far!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Burlington is great because you can be in the country within 15 minutes. Jericho/Underhill, Richmond, Charlotte, Shelburne, parts of Colchester and Essex etc. Your best bet for finding a job (most likely) would be greater Burlington.
Montpelier is a good choice as well. There is just more going on in the Burlington area as far as shows, theater, music, restaurants etc simply because it's much bigger.
The best advice I can offer you is to do some research as to who is hiring and come up for a week or two and drive around checking the different areas out.
I have an acquaintance that moved up here in '04 who is a CPA and found a job right away. Feel free to DM me and I'll give you the name of the firm. Not sure if it'll be as easy to find a job in this economy though.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 AM

4 posts, read 12,724 times
Jay Vermont - one tip from someone who relocated here 6 years ago. Do not buy a home but rent in an area you think you will like and even then unless it is in one of the few "urban" areas of Vermont know that t will take a considerable amount of time to sell a home particularly now with the housing market what it is.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planonlvn View Post
Jay Vermont - one tip from someone who relocated here 6 years ago. Do not buy a home but rent in an area you think you will like and even then unless it is in one of the few "urban" areas of Vermont know that t will take a considerable amount of time to sell a home particularly now with the housing market what it is.
Renting is key. When we bought our home in rural Brookfield, the market was good and the home was priced below market value. The previous owners had it on the market for three years before we bought it. This is one of the problems you run into living in a small town, not everyone wants to live there.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 AM

84 posts, read 208,112 times
Yes, renting is a good idea. Home prices will remain depressed for awhile. You will still get a good deal this time next year and your understanding of the area will have grown exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont