Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 17,309 times

Advertisements

I'm considering re-locating from RI to the Groton area. Although, I'm somewhat familiar with the Stowe area, I don't know too much about Groton. I'm a single professional, and I have lived in CA, GA, FL, MA and RI, and I'm considering the move for recreational reasons (hiking, skiing, etc.), not economic and am looking for an area that is rural, but has basic necessities (groceries, a few restaurants) fairly close by. I'll be making the move with my dog who goes everywhere with me. I have found some affordable housing in the area and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has any experience with the Groton area, or if anyone could pick out any other areas in Vermont that they could recommend or direct me to any web resources (I haven't found too many searching the Web).

Thanks for your consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I'm assuming by your post that jobs are not a concern? If so, that's good because that is a VERY rural area and you'd have to travel quite a distance to find work. The ecomomy is not great right now as you know so it's even harder to find a job.
There really is not much in Groton as far as services. There is a gas station/small store and a restaurant but that is it. You'd have to travel to Woodsville NH or Barre for more choices.
The nice thing about Groton is Groton State Forest. Beautiful. Lots of hiking opportunities, camping, swimming etc. Skiing you'd have to travel a bit up to Burke or down to the Dartmouth Skiway. Those would probably be the closest areas. Not too bad of a drive up to Stowe or over to Sugarbush or Mad River Glen either. Snowmobiling and hunting are also big in the area.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Wonderful area, but I hope you don't need a job there. That'll be a change from RI!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks for your response. I work from home, so the Groton job market is not a concern. However, I appreciate your feedback about the area. I have a friend who is a Rescue Ranger in the Teton National Park, and I've been out there several times for long visits, and I enjoy living in the wilderness. But, he is not far at all from something that resembles a more current 21st century, with restaurants, major grocery stores, retail stores etc. Groton seems to be extremely rural, and not very close to anything much at all (nothing too major came up on my GPS when I searched). I'm not in my 20's anymore, so I don't need close proximity to any nightlife or the bar scene, but I would like to be close enough (within a 15-minute drive) to your average retail stores, and restaurants etc. I'm planning on renting for 6 months or so, and the Groton area seems to be very economical I suppose because it's not near any metropolitan area. Could you suggest another rural area where rent is economical (I'm looking to rent a small house), but not too far from civilization? I'd like to stay in the country perhaps find a cabin, versus a raised ranch in a subdivision somewhere for example. Perhaps Groton would work out okay for 6 months while I explored the area and looked around at other locations. Does that sound reasonable or should I just look elsewhere from the beginning? Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
It sounds like you'd be happier nearer to one of the "larger" towns. Look in the Rutland area, Burlington area, and the White River Junction/West Leb area. I would guess Rutland would be the cheaper of the 3 as far as housing but I could be wrong. These areas have the major grocery stores, big box stores, malls etc (although no mall in Wleb/WRJ). Try the local newspapers for ideas on housing. The Burlington Free Press, the Rutland Herald, and the Valley News for WRJ/WLeb.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Rutland would be the cheaper area I believe. But if you want rural I'd not be right in the city. Maybe parts of Rutland Town, West Rutland, Tinmouth, Mendon, Pittsford, etc. Rural areas there but not far from the city and shopping. If you're not right on route 7 you can feel quite secluded in parts of these towns...

The Northeast Kingdom is the most rural part of Vermont, but it does come at a price (namely, lack of shopping, jobs, etc.). Maybe someplace near St. Johnsbury would work too.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM

I want to thank you all for your responses. I was beginning to wonder if I'd feel isolated out in Groton. Although, I like rural and don't need to be close to a mall, I'd like to be within 8 miles or so of a convenience store and gas station! I could be wrong but my GPS didn't really pick up anything close to Groton, rather Barre and Woodsville NH as the next closest. I also saw some rentals in Barton, but that looks similar regarding infrastructure etc. I'd like to find something similar to Stowe with its small shops/restaurants, but without the heavy tourist traffic. I'll look into the areas suggested. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,677 times
We have friends in Groton, they love it for the reasons you mentioned. They have no problem going to Woodsville to grab their necessities as they have a wal mart etc. there if that is your thing, but they also have plenty of other shopping options. I’m an NEK kinda guy as is my wife so I can’t comment on the Rutland area, but Barre is much more concrete and sidewalk than Groton is, much more urban, not sure if that is what you are looking for. Do a weekend trip and check them out………

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM

17 posts, read 52,286 times
Default Groton has a lot to offer

We lived in Groton for seven years and loved it and return there whenever we have the chance. For the last three years we have lived in Pittsburgh, PA and while Groton seems rural to us now, when we lived there, everything we needed was in close proximatey. There is a great general store there (Upper Valley Grill) that has the necessities, gas and a tasty diner type restaurant. The Groton Garage can fix anything that goes wrong with your car, Brown's Market Bistro is a wonderful little restaurant that offers great food and some live music in a beautiful setting on the Wells River. There are some fantastic progressive businesses that have opened up in the General Store/Library complex including the Solar Store, a gourmet ice-cream shop and a winery. The Groton Free Public Library is a amazing asset in a beautifully restore building and offers regular book discussions, crafting and Spanish clubs to name a few. The town hosts a renowned Fall Foliage Festival and famous Chicken Pie Supper that has been featured in numerous magazines and draws thousands to the town.

Groton is a small community where you can really be a part of the community. Montpelier is about 27 miles away and Woodsville, NH is ten miles away and offers big box stores and other necessities.

You were attracted to Groton for the recreational offerings and they truly are amazing. Lake Groton is a gem with a public beach that is unique with an expansive lawn with boulders and birch trees running almost to the lake. Swimming, hiking and bike trails that lead all the way to Montpelier are just a few of the offerings. You will see plenty of wildlife - deer, moose, turkeys and the occasional bear in your backyard.

On the less positive side, be prepared for a long winter and lots of snow.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 52,286 times
Default More on Groton

I forgot to mention to check out GrotonVT.com Home This offers a lot of information on the town and has links to real estate listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont