Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times

Advertisements

Good point. Very good point.

I guess the argument is that if you can't afford the property tax, you can't afford the house.

But it really bothers me that you, in effect, have to pay rent to keep what you own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Not necessarily related but when you say regressive,what about property taxes no regard as to whether you have a dime in the bank or ability to pay.
I just saw they're going to cut back on the current use program. That's going to drive a lot of people off their property with property taxes.

Property taxes are regressive.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
This does not seem excessive by Vermont standards. Five years ago I was pulled over in Waterbury for going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. It was just off of Route 2 where the speed limit suddenly drops from 40 to 25 mph.

Anyway, I was given a $120 ticket. I went to court and told the judge that I was in a rush to pick up my kids from daycare and I was on a really tight budget and could he lower the fine. He lowered it to $80 from what I could remember.

I've always been careful about obeying the traffic rules ever since. I'm especially careful when traveling through villages since many cops stake out the more heavily traveled streets waiting to catch speeders and other traffic offenders.

On the positive side, at least you didn't hit anyone. If you had caused an accident you would have had to pay a $250 to $500 insurance deductible on top of the traffic ticket. Plus, the other driver could have sued you.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 AM

I've called Vermont Judiciary, the organization who handles traffic tickets.

Several times I called and got no answer and no voice mail. Just ringing.

Then I called and got a voice mail. I left a message.

Then I emailed.

So far, no response.

I feel like I'm being ignored.

So it looks like I either have to pay the ticket in full or go to court.

If I go to court, and the officer doesn't show up, they'll probably dismiss the ticket. But if the officer shows up, they might even raise the ticket, or keep the amount and add a $50 court fee.

Or lower the ticket by $50 and then add the $50 court fee. What a bargain!

Somehow, this experience has affected how I feel about my new state. In NYC, I would expect such abusive, negligent and/or indifferent treatment, but not in Vermont. Even in NYC, I was usually able to get service from the city when I needed it. Sometimes the service came with an attitude, but I usually got what I wanted or needed.

So what's up with Vermont? It's not as if the state is overpopulated and they can't keep up with requests.

Is the office understaffed and overwhelmed?

Or is the state just greedy and/or punitive and this behavior deliberate?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I've called Vermont Judiciary, the organization who handles traffic tickets.

Several times I called and got no answer and no voice mail. Just ringing.

Then I called and got a voice mail. I left a message.

Then I emailed.

So far, no response.

I feel like I'm being ignored.

So it looks like I either have to pay the ticket in full or go to court.

If I go to court, and the officer doesn't show up, they'll probably dismiss the ticket. But if the officer shows up, they might even raise the ticket, or keep the amount and add a $50 court fee.

Or lower the ticket by $50 and then add the $50 court fee. What a bargain!

Somehow, this experience has affected how I feel about my new state. In NYC, I would expect such abusive, negligent and/or indifferent treatment, but not in Vermont. Even in NYC, I was usually able to get service from the city when I needed it. Sometimes the service came with an attitude, but I usually got what I wanted or needed.

So what's up with Vermont? It's not as if the state is overpopulated and they can't keep up with requests.

Is the office understaffed and overwhelmed?

Or is the state just greedy and/or punitive and this behavior deliberate?
The ticket can't be increased, like I said...I think it'd almost be worth going to court just to tell the court exactly what that officer threatened...

One issue in Vermont, I think, is that unlike many states that have laws specifically aimed at controlling police (official oppression laws, etc.), we've got nothing except caselaw which isn't quite as effective in controlling police...

The courts have been cutting back on services, etc., and they're overloaded. You may not be getting ignored so much as they're overworked and not able to get back quickly...IIRC they're even considering closing a court and making people go to another county because of the financial issues...

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 02-17-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Probably because it's just another money making scheme in a poor state. I find this place like an iron glove--they give with one hand, smack you in the face with the other (like at tax time).

I'm dreading that we will owe taxes again this year. I've been unemployed almost 2 years. My husband BARELY makes enough to survive here and STILL we owed money last year. Paying taxes took away what little money we had saved. If it happens this year, I have no idea how we will survive.

Life in the recession seems to be about 'nickel and diming' the average person to death. Talk to me in 2 years and let me know how much of that NY money you have left in your savings account.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Probably because it's just another money making scheme in a poor state. I find this place like an iron glove--they give with one hand, smack you in the face with the other (like at tax time).

I'm dreading that we will owe taxes again this year. I've been unemployed almost 2 years. My husband BARELY makes enough to survive here and STILL we owed money last year. Paying taxes took away what little money we had saved. If it happens this year, I have no idea how we will survive.

Life in the recession seems to be about 'nickel and diming' the average person to death. Talk to me in 2 years and let me know how much of that NY money you have left in your savings account.

What's interesting to me is that we owe Vermont tax income tax every year even though we have modest salaries and it seems like a lot is deducted from our paychecks every week.

I'm a bit worried about the predicted rise in property tax. My income has been flat for two years. My husband has had a pay cut. We're both working harder to make up for staff cuts and yet we have less to show for it. A lot of people are in the same boat.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
How frustrating. Don't know if this will give you more info than you already have, but I came across this site:
Traffic Tickets and Violations in Vermont | DMV

Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Well, I received a reply from Vermont Judiciary. It seemed straightforward and without an abusive attitude.

I remember when I started high school in Brooklyn. I got a postcard telling me exactly where and when to go on the first day.

It didn't say "Welcome to James Madison High School. On September whatever, please come in at 8 am and go to the auditorium."

What it said was, You are to report at the James Madison High School....."

I didn't get that offensive attitude here.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
What it said was, You are to report at the James Madison High School....."
Whoa! Just reading that I can feel my inner adolescent getting all oppositional. I respond very badly to that kind of attitude. I'm glad you didn't get that from the Vermont Judiciary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont