U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM

459 posts, read 906,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonazmom View Post
My husband is being transfered to Burlington, VT and we have never lived outside of Tucson, AZ or San Francisco, CA. We are both excited and worried about this move. I have been researching schools as we will have children in the 4th, 2nd, and Kinder grades next Fall. Schools are very important to us. We are looking for a home under $400 and want a family neighborhood. My husband prefers more space than a typical development offers. In AZ you get less than .3 acres in most subdivisions if you are lucky. I want to stay within 15-20 min of Burlington. My husband sees more bang for your buck in areas farther from Burlington like Franklin Co. Having never lived in severe weather before I am concerned about his winter comute if we were to live a distance from Burlington. What do you recommend? Shelburne? Essex Junction? Williston? Jericho? Colchester? So. Burlington? Richmond? Charlotte? Farnklin Co? Or any othe suggestions? We are also weighing local property taxes so any input on that area would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!
You have to be completely out of your mind to try to raise a family in this state. Unless he was offered at least $100k a year, it would make a lot more sense for your husband to find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

118 posts, read 234,230 times
$100k for living in Vermont? I know folks who earn more that are leaving. Indeed, the more they earn the more they're leaving. As far as I can tell the sweet spot is somewhere between food stamps and the property tax pre-bate cut off. Any more or less and your...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 AM

459 posts, read 906,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
$100k for living in Vermont? I know folks who earn more that are leaving. Indeed, the more they earn the more they're leaving. As far as I can tell the sweet spot is somewhere between food stamps and the property tax pre-bate cut off. Any more or less and your...
Ok... This post is hilarious...
Any solid number figures on the "sweet spot"? $30k? $40k?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM

894 posts, read 1,284,617 times
100K is the wrong number that is just past the pre-bate cutoff. Not enough to live on but into the 'skewered rich guy' department. I can't tell you what the sweet spot is but I know folks who were in the mid 40's with kids and getting tons of public assistance(including fertility treatments.) We probably should have hopped on the dole but leaving, while financially not easy, made more sense.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 180,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
If schools are important you likely won't be happy outside of Burlington.
Manchester, VT schools K thru 8 are first class and without a HS kids go free to Burr and Burton Academy !!!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM

894 posts, read 1,284,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Manchester, VT schools K thru 8 are first class and without a HS kids go free to Burr and Burton Academy !!!
Yea OK there are a few good schools in VT. I bet Manchester still has the corrosive effects of unmotivated students. And the HS for the Rivendell district competes for 'choice' kids with Hanover HS. How do they do it? By being the easy HS. Screw everyone else we are getting our money by education at the lowest of lowest common denominators.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM

1,978 posts, read 3,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I bet Manchester still has the corrosive effects of unmotivated students.
Hate to tell ya, but so does everywhere. I went to what is considered one of the best public high schools in the nation, and we had unmotivated, sarcastic kids in our classes.

It's funny, a lot of the problems you guys cite about Vermont are true everywhere. Some of what you say is true, I know, but I feel that it is at least somewhat exaggerated, especially after talking to some other folks on this board.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 AM

118 posts, read 234,230 times
BickleTravis, the only calculations I've seen that attempted to quantify the 'sweet spot' were made at the national level. It was a calculation that took into consideration tax rates and the income levels at which national level social programs phase-in and phase-out. I can't find the paper right now, but in essence what it found was that below the $40k/yr income level there is effectively a 'negative tax' where earners between $0 and $40k all have a reasonably comparable access to resources. Not until incomes rise above $4ok is there any meaningful increase in standard of living resulting from individual wealth creation. Because Vermont has above average social programs I would assume the effective negative tax here would be even larger. So, to answer your question about the sweet spot, I guess it all depends on you affinity for living on the dole and your personal preference for leisure vs utility.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,729,544 times
Let's stop raining on peoples' parades. There are individuals who don't like the problems of Vermont and believe me, these are valid problems, but we have to respect the fact of free will.

If people choose to hear only the good things, that is their decision. If they ignore negative, that is their prerogative.

I was one of those who didn't listen up to the naysayers 2.5 years ago. I had to experience it for myself. I thought, like so many, that maybe the hateful posters just 'were losers' or 'trouble makers' or 'just unfortunate' and it didn't have to be me...

True, no where is ideal. But do, do, do listen to some of us more moderate people who say 'Vermont has major economic problems and DID prior to the recession.' That doesn't mean you have to be put off and that IT SUCKS here totally. There are some nice things about Vermont. However, you may not be able to enjoy all the nice things chasing your tail trying to get by.

What it does mean, at least from my perspective, is be prepared. Have a back up plan. Bring as much money as you can, try to hook up jobs asap. Be ready to work retail, waitress jobs and 'join things' to network.

I believe in trying new things. Okay, it's not my sweet spot but it may be for someone else. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
True, no where is ideal. But do, do, do listen to some of us more moderate people who say 'Vermont has major economic problems and DID prior to the recession.' That doesn't mean you have to be put off and that IT SUCKS here totally. There are some nice things about Vermont. However, you may not be able to enjoy all the nice things chasing your tail trying to get by.

What it does mean, at least from my perspective, is be prepared. Have a back up plan. Bring as much money as you can, try to hook up jobs asap. Be ready to work retail, waitress jobs and 'join things' to network.
This is about as clear and true as I've ever heard it put. Nowhere is guaranteed to work out for anyone -- and it's just as true that nowhere is guaranteed to fail for anyone who tries it. Gypsy, I appreciate your sharing your experience here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or