U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 PM

85 posts, read 273,037 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm from Atlanta and I'm considering taking a job in White River Junction. I've heard that Vermont is not racially diverse as Atlanta and mostly democratic.....and yep you read it right, I'm a Republican. Such a rarity but that's why I like being an American eh!

Anyway I'm just curious as to how I might be treated by white people in Vermont? Are they receptive to being around blacks or are they militant like whites in North GA where the KKK is still quite active?

As a single childless black woman with a dog, I will be in the dating scene but how receptive are white men to dating/marrying black women up in Vermont? Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into. I'll tell you down here in the south......we have a looooong way to go.

I consider myself to be an open minded kind of black chic....I mean I prefer rock over R&B and love a good Rolling Stones Concert. I judge people by character rather than color but.....just because I do doesn't mean others will do the same which is unfortunate considering we are in 2010 right?? Oh well but anyway, just wondering how are the people in White River Junction.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,529,172 times
I have never heard of militant racism in Vermont. If it's here, it's small and hidden. On the other hand, I'm sure it's not news to you that the US is hardly "post-racial" and Vermont is no exception.

I think you wouldn't be mistreated in Vermont but that's not the only way to be uncomfortable in a place. There are so few nonwhite people in Vermont that the few who are here get noticed, sometimes stared at. It's not necessarily hostile though I suppose that could happen, too.

I believe men in Vermont would be receptive to dating/marrying a black woman. I've seen plenty of mixed-race couples here. In fact, I think I've seen more mixed-race couples than couples in which both members are black. If it were me, I'd probably visit WRJ, seek out black people to talk, with and ask them about their experiences.

There are other cultural differences between Vermont and Atlanta. People in Northern New England are way more reserved than in Georgia, which is sometimes mistaken for unfriendliness. Actually, it's the friendliest, most community-oriented state I've ever lived in -- despite being the least effusive in welcoming folks in.

Speaking of a Vermont minority, the Republicans my husband and I know do fine here. We're in Rutland, which is far more politically mainstream than, say Burlington or Brattleboro. I'd guess WRJ is more politically similar to Rutland than to the way left parts of the state.

Also, being single in Vermont isn't easy regardless of race and political leanings. People do love their dogs and other pets so that could be a great ice-breaker.

Good luck to you -- whatever you do, I hope you find joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
Okay so I'm from Atlanta and I'm considering taking a job in White River Junction. I've heard that Vermont is not racially diverse as Atlanta and mostly democratic.....and yep you read it right, I'm a Republican. Such a rarity but that's why I like being an American eh!

Anyway I'm just curious as to how I might be treated by white people in Vermont? Are they receptive to being around blacks or are they militant like whites in North GA where the KKK is still quite active?

As a single childless black woman with a dog, I will be in the dating scene but how receptive are white men to dating/marrying black women up in Vermont? Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into. I'll tell you down here in the south......we have a looooong way to go.

I consider myself to be an open minded kind of black chic....I mean I prefer rock over R&B and love a good Rolling Stones Concert. I judge people by character rather than color but.....just because I do doesn't mean others will do the same which is unfortunate considering we are in 2010 right?? Oh well but anyway, just wondering how are the people in White River Junction.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM

85 posts, read 273,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I have never heard of militant racism in Vermont. If it's here, it's small and hidden. On the other hand, I'm sure it's not news to you that the US is hardly "post-racial" and Vermont is no exception.

I think you wouldn't be mistreated in Vermont but that's not the only way to be uncomfortable in a place. There are so few nonwhite people in Vermont that the few who are here get noticed, sometimes stared at. It's not necessarily hostile though I suppose that could happen, too.

I believe men in Vermont would be receptive to dating/marrying a black woman. I've seen plenty of mixed-race couples here. In fact, I think I've seen more mixed-race couples than couples in which both members are black. If it were me, I'd probably visit WRJ, seek out black people to talk, with and ask them about their experiences.

There are other cultural differences between Vermont and Atlanta. People in Northern New England are way more reserved than in Georgia, which is sometimes mistaken for unfriendliness. Actually, it's the friendliest, most community-oriented state I've ever lived in -- despite being the least effusive in welcoming folks in.

Speaking of a Vermont minority, the Republicans my husband and I know do fine here. We're in Rutland, which is far more politically mainstream than, say Burlington or Brattleboro. I'd guess WRJ is more politically similar to Rutland than to the way left parts of the state.

Also, being single in Vermont isn't easy regardless of race and political leanings. People do love their dogs and other pets so that could be a great ice-breaker.

Good luck to you -- whatever you do, I hope you find joy.
Thanks a bunch. Your advice was very helpful. The being single in Vermont thing is pretty scary though. Gee can a single lady catch a break?? LOL

Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

894 posts, read 1,287,006 times
Being a republican will be unpleasant if you pay attention to politics in the state. Just by population numbers dating might be a bit of a challenge.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 12,968 times
Just cause you're a Republican doesn't make you a bad person. And you can't really help what color you are so I don't think anyone will blame you for being black. Now being from the south...well that's a bit different.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. Your advice was very helpful. The being single in Vermont thing is pretty scary though. Gee can a single lady catch a break?? LOL

Let me know if you move here and I'll introduce you to some of our single male friends who like dogs. :-)

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,758,217 times
No one would care. They'd probably befriend you to 'be cool' and diverse.

White River Junction is sort of an 'eh' place...you may want to live in another village. Be prepared, this is NOT Atlanta!!

You can PM me if you want more info on the area.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
White River Junction is sort of an 'eh' place...you may want to live in another village. Be prepared, this is NOT Atlanta!!
For sure! WRJ is small and economically quite depressed. This is sad because the old buildings on the river are beautiful. It's a historically fascinating town. With some economic action I think it could be a wonderful place (not holding my breath for this to happen soon).

What I like in WRJ:
Upper Valley Food Co-op
tiptopcafe

My husband and I stopped into some cool galleries last time we walked around WRJ. One guy was making art we liked as we watched and chatted with him. The town's own listing will give you an idea how much (and how little) is going on:

White River Junction, Vermont | A Historic Railroad Town

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM

353 posts, read 859,305 times
So....black..republican, listens to rock and roll and have a dog? Will you marry me?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

459 posts, read 907,321 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
The bolded quote is the understatement of the century.
Atlanta to White River... ouch.
Good luck!

Missed the part about the KKK...
There's racism in VT, just like there's racism everywhere.
That said, VT, as a state, has a pretty good racial history (on political questions, anyways) going back to the Civil War and before it.
We were the first state to outlaw slavery (unless the slave owner had a permission slip from the slave's creator), we voted strongly for Lincoln, and, more currently, in places like Burlington, we have an expanding African refugee community that seems to get along fine with their white neighbors.
In short, VT is definitely not north Georgia. Most people here probably don't know who William Sherman is.
I would think (and keep in mind this is coming from a white dude) that your problems will be more of a political nature. Well, that and adjusting to doing having nothing to do (relatively speaking, of course, considering you're coming from Atlanta) in WRJ.

As for the dating scene...
In WRJ, you're probably going to be limited by population.
I live in Burlington, and I know tons of white dudes (myself included) who would have no problem dating a black woman. Keep in mind that myself and my friends are "city folk" in our 20's, so our attitudes may be different than what you'd find in, say, the Northeast Kingdom. What you won't find, anywhere in VT, is racial violence, as I said above.
Montpelier would probably be a little better, maybe a few more options. Same with heading south to Brattleboro. However, in both cases you'd be trading a potentially more politically acceptable area for towns that are probably going to be very far to the left of you.
I would really recommend visiting White River before you move there, but you probably already knew that.
Anyways, good luck.

Just realized I should have qualified this entire post by saying my only familiarity with WRJ comes from driving through it. Not sure I've ever even gotten out of the car there.

Last edited by BickleTravis; 03-03-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont