Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,901 times

Advertisements

Considering a job in rutland, need help with local school districts, taxes, home rentals, good rental agency, food cost, organic foods available, any local freinds of Bill W,...all help appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strick9 View Post
Considering a job in rutland, need help with local school districts, taxes, home rentals, good rental agency, food cost, organic foods available, any local freinds of Bill W,...all help appreciated
My husband and I live in Rutland.

Check out RutlandHerald.com | Rutland Herald | Rutland news, Rutland sports, Rutland real estate, Vermont jobs. Lots of good general info there.

Depending on your interests, I could recommend organizations, activities, and cultural doings that you might enjoy and find like-minded folks.

We buy all our groceries at the local co-op, which is called the Rutland Natural Food Market and the fantastic weekly farmers market every week all year long. Here's the summer farmers market, held outdoors; the winter market is in a warehouse space behind the co-op from November to May.

My children are feline so school districts are not part of my realm. Not sure what you mean by a rental agency. I don't think there's a residential rental agency.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,901 times
thank you for the information, we will be looking to rent a house (at least in the beginning) any suggestions on location ?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strick9 View Post
thank you for the information, we will be looking to rent a house (at least in the beginning) any suggestions on location ?

Can you visit places before renting? Seeing the house and the neighborhood right around it would tell you a lot.

Rutland City is pretty small. You can rent a decent house in almost any neighborhood. The NE section is considered "the nice part of town" but really there are several nice parts of town. For example, part of the NW section has lovely homes and backs up onto Pine Hill Park, with wonderful hiking trails to ponds and views. We live just west of the NE part of town and like it a lot. But there are streets not too far away we wouldn't like as much.

Other towns near Rutland:
  • Rutland Town
  • West Rutland
  • Center Rutland
  • Clarendon
  • Pittsford
  • Chittenden
  • Mendon
There are others. Depends how far you're willing to drive into Rutland City.

One thing to be careful of: Homes right on Route 7 or other noisy roads. Some are actually quieter than they might seem (we have friends with an awesome house right on Route 7) so you should go inside, especially in the bedrooms, and listen for traffic.

Here are some listings from the Rutland Herald and Craisglist. On the streets I've seen more "For Rent" signs on nice houses than are listed here.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
Congratulations. I lived in Rutland for several years, it was ok but not very Vermonty in the sense of what you see in the magazines, with the scenery and town squares and what not, and where one would typically visit on vacation. However, you are not going to be too far away Burlington, Killington, Manchester, Middlebury, etc...You can literally go from one end of Vermont to another in only a few hours time.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Another good thing in Rutland: The Marble Valley Players. Last weekend my husband and I saw "Blithe Spirit" at the West Rutland Town Hall Theater. We didn't expect it to suck but we were stunned by how good it was. This is how good: We knew most of the performers, including one really good friend, and we quickly forgot we knew them and just experienced them as the characters they were playing. My memory now sees my friend Jen as the ghost Elvira!

It looks like there are only 2-3 shows a year. But for people who enjoy working with a small theater group, there are opportunities to work onstage and behind the scenes. They just love it.

It's great for audience members, too. Our tickets to "Blithe Spirit" were only $12 each. It's a beautiful old theater and the seats were comfy enough that the 3.5-hour performance didn't bother our bottoms.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Rutland blood drive success inspires a movie

N.Y. filmmaker focuses on Rutland blood drive: Rutland Herald Online

Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM

79 posts, read 314,423 times
Hi. I live in Rutland and have two children. My daughter is in the 5th grade at Rutland Intermediate School and my son is 5 and will be entering Northeast Primary School in the fall. I cannot comment on the Primary schools as my daughter went to Christ the King (parochial school) for K-2, but I have heard good things about Northeast school. There is another Primary school (K-2) in the city (Northwest School) that is slightly less desirable, probably due to it's location and the families it draws from. Rutland Intermediate School (Grades 3-6) has been surprisingly good. My daughter is very happy and I have been pleasantly surprised at how good the programs are.

Unfortunately, Rutland has a high mix of poor and elderly and has been battling a drug epidemic. It is also still trying to rebuild it's city government, which has been a source of embarrassment in recent years. That being said, you will also never find a city that comes together like Rutland when faced with adversity. The term "Neighbor helping Neighbor" could have been coined here.

All in all, Rutland is definitely not the perfect place to live, but it has it's own charm and has a nice sense of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont