Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 36,023 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to VT in May. We have 3 elem. age kids and I currently drive a Toyota Prius for running around and a Dodge Durango for hauling kids, camping and trips. The Durango is 2 wheel drive (RWD) and I'm thinking about selling it and buying a 4wd vehicle. Two questions, first, will I need 4wd during winter and would an AZ vehicle appreciate in value on the pre-owned market in VT (no rust)? I am debating between driving it to VT then selling it there or purchasing a new or pre-owned car here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonazmom View Post
My family is moving to VT in May. We have 3 elem. age kids and I currently drive a Toyota Prius for running around and a Dodge Durango for hauling kids, camping and trips. The Durango is 2 wheel drive (RWD) and I'm thinking about selling it and buying a 4wd vehicle. Two questions, first, will I need 4wd during winter and would an AZ vehicle appreciate in value on the pre-owned market in VT (no rust)? I am debating between driving it to VT then selling it there or purchasing a new or pre-owned car here.
Where in Vermont will you be moving? Will you be in a sizable town or out in the country? Big difference between, say, Burlington and Jeffersonville.

I've lived in New Hampshire and Vermont, including very rural areas (though not up in the mountains) for about 22 years. At times, I commuted over 80 miles each way twice a week, including in winter. I have NEVER had a 4WD or AWD car and never needed one. I've always had a reliable front-wheel drive car and bought really good snow tires, which I have put on every winter without fail.
My current care is an '06 Honda Civic and it handles very well in snow and ice.

I moved up here in 1988 from Miami and the driving has been fine. Occasionally the roads are hazardous enough to warrant not driving when possible, but that's pretty rare.

I see lots of Priuses and Durangos around here. If it were me, I'd ditch the RWD. But my husband drove his RWD van up here for years and years without a problem. I never could handle that thing in the snow and was glad when he, too, got an FWD car. But then I am a Floridian.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
I'd definately go wtih 4-wheel or all-wheel drive. You can't go wrong with a Subaru wagon, imo. That will be my next car.

I live on a dirt road and my driveway is steep and unpaved. I've never had a problem navigating it in our Honda CRV. However, I've gotten stuck (when there's snow) numerous times in my Honda Odyssey minvan.

I also travel a lot for work and feel more confident with 4-wheel drive. It will get you anyway, especially when you're in more rural areas and especially during mud season.

That being said, having good snow tires makes a world of difference. I had new studded snow tires put on the minivan this winter and it's performed much better (although this was the mildest, least snowy winter I can remember). Sherylcat is right: You really need to invest in good winter tires, especially if you have rear-wheel drive.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,972 times
I would say tire choice is the most important..........

We have an older Tundra and Outback so I can speak to a heavy RWD vehicle, but up in the hills/mountains I find myself in 4WD often, and I would say mud season is more slippery than snow...........

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
It definitely depends on where you are moving to, and where you will be driving to...I think FWD and good snow tires is fine for a lot of areas, but if you have a steep driveway, then AWD will probably make your life easier. And I too have found that mud season is sometimes more slippery than snow...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
And I too have found that mud season is sometimes more slippery than snow...
Me, too! Back when my Jetta and I were commuting 80 miles each way in all kinds of weather, I lived 2 miles down a rutted dirt road. The only time I had to have the car towed was when I went hauling up my dirt-hill driveway and made almost it to the top -- and my car slid off the hill sideways into the woods. No damage done except to my ego.

Which brings me to one more automotive part I wouldn't be without: a great towing service.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

400 posts, read 849,632 times
It kind of depends on where you live...but my opinion is that aside from challenging driveways (which are pretty common around here) FWD with good snow tires will serve you fine. All cars are 4 wheel brake, and that is the most important thing. If the roads are so bad you can't even get going with a FWD car then something is really wrong and you should probably just stay put. I suppose sometimes they can get icy and make hills a challenge, but that's why I've got studs!

While the no rust thing generally would be a plus selling a vehicle around here, I just don't think in Vermont there is much demand for a RWD Dodge Durango. In my mind, when some one here says truck or SUV up here it is 4WD by default. That said, used car prices in general are pretty outrageous up here so who knows?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,012 times
I am still trying to grasp the fact you have a Prius and a Durango? Either way, as was said, 4WD is not needed. I drove a front wheel drive Cavalier for years. Get a good set of snow tires and you will have no problems.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
You don't need four wheel drive or all wheel drive. Again, depending on your location, the Prius may not be a good car in the winter as well. It does not have good ground clearance. The tires are small and with a moderate snowstorm it may end up usless no matter how good your tires are. As I said it all depends on location and types of roads traveled. The Durango is the vehicle I would get rid of. Unless you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car in snow I would not recommend learning your first winter.
The answer to your other question about selling and getting more money for an Arizona car in Vermont. Yes and no. On paper the car is worth more without rust, but you will have a very hard time selling a two wheel drive Durango in Vermont. A co-worker moved here from Texas with a two wheel drive 4Runner and could not sell it after 4 months. She ended up trading it in at a dealership or should I say stealership. If money is an issue then invest in a reliable front wheel drive with great snow tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont