U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:12 PM

35 posts, read 75,816 times

Advertisements

I've been researching the crime index on the Sperling's BestPlaces website for Grand Isle county. Most of the cities and towns I looked at had a rather high index particularly when it came to property crime. Could someone please shed some light on this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:46 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,657,064 times
There is not a lot of violent crime in Vermont, but property crime can be high. I thought this post was very ironic considering I just came in from replacing my mailbox post about an hour ago. I can't say for sure if it was intentional because this time ours was the only one on the block that was damage. It's not just Grand Isle county where this is an issue. We have had issues with car break-ins to property damage. The police are sure it's teenage kids. In most cases when the police catch them, alcohol, boredom or stealing to make money play a role.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM

35 posts, read 75,816 times
Thank you for your response 68vette. Sperling's shows Colchester as having an index of 1/1 though I don't know how accuate this is or whether I should be referencing other source for crime info. Does anyone know if this is a reflection of the crime stats in Quebec?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM

10,200 posts, read 11,160,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
Thank you for your response 68vette. Sperling's shows Colchester as having an index of 1/1 though I don't know how accuate this is or whether I should be referencing other source for crime info. Does anyone know if this is a reflection of the crime stats in Quebec?
According to Statistics Canada, the property crime rate in Quebec is around 3,100 per 100,000, which is below the Canadian average of around 3,500 per 100,000. Both property and violent crime rates increase as you move from east to west in Canada.

Quebec's violent crime rate is one of the lowest in North America.

Though Canada and the U.S. may tabulate things differently, I think that Vermont's property crime rate is still around 2,200 per 100,000.

So if the Canadian and American data is comparable, Vermont's property crime rate is even lower than those of both Quebec and Canada. Though keep in mind that Vermont has a population of less than one million, and that Quebec has almost 8 million and that includes a pretty large city (Montreal) in its stats.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 PM

459 posts, read 629,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
There is not a lot of violent crime in Vermont, but property crime can be high. I thought this post was very ironic considering I just came in from replacing my mailbox post about an hour ago. I can't say for sure if it was intentional because this time ours was the only one on the block that was damage. It's not just Grand Isle county where this is an issue. We have had issues with car break-ins to property damage. The police are sure it's teenage kids. In most cases when the police catch them, alcohol, boredom or stealing to make money play a role.
Car breakins are probably junkies. Oxycontin is a major issue, in Chittenden county anyway.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM

14,423 posts, read 13,723,601 times
I never experienced many problems in the NEK. The most common issue was probably people ripping down posted signs newly arrived flatlanders put up.

Central VT where I'm at now is a mixed bag I think. In Rutland City I'd be careful, but outside in manya reas there isn't a big problem...

Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 AM

817 posts, read 741,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I never experienced many problems in the NEK. The most common issue was probably people ripping down posted signs newly arrived flatlanders put up.

Or just shoot them...................the signs, not the flatlanders

I'll never post a piece of land I own unless there are animals grazing, then a safety zone makes sense, posting acres and acres of woodlands that were traditionally open goes right up my arse sideways........

Old 04-24-2010, 06:33 AM

22 posts, read 35,783 times
I agree, the number of No Trespassing signs people put up when they come to VT shows a real ignorance and/or disregard of the culture and traditions of the very place they supposedly loved so much they just had to move here.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,657,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwon'tforget View Post
I agree, the number of No Trespassing signs people put up when they come to VT shows a real ignorance and/or disregard of the culture and traditions of the very place they supposedly loved so much they just had to move here.
I agree to a certain extent. I have no problem with people who use my land to hunt, as long as they ask permission so that kids are not in the fields or animals are not in harms way. When I first came to Vermont my kids and I were in our field sledding and some hunters suprised us when they opened fire on a deer on the woodline (not far from we were sledding). The game warden informed us that they had every right to use the land for hunting if it wasn't posted. I don't have an issue as long as people ask. Another concern I have with one section of my property is it borders I-89. Hunters love this area because the deer are used to noise. The state will not restrict people from hunting in that area and it bothers me because a missed shot could mean someone driving could be hit.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,970,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
When I first came to Vermont my kids and I were in our field sledding and some hunters suprised us when they opened fire on a deer on the woodline (not far from we were sledding). The game warden informed us that they had every right to use the land for hunting if it wasn't posted. .
Wow, this is very surprising to me. I guess there is a reason for all these 'no trespassing' signs then. I thought people were just being unfriendly. The fact anyone can hunt on your land w/out permission seems WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont