Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

39 posts, read 168,809 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Vermont at the end of July but I have never been there before and am completely clueless about the different areas of the state, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

My boyfriend and I are looking to go for our 5 year anniversary. We don't have anything special planned but would probably like to do some low-key outdoor activities. Access to a spa/massage would be nice too. We're traveling from NY and would probably be there for a few days.

If anyone could throw out any suggestions or just general vicinities where I can begin to explore, helpful websites, etc. - it is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 AM

190 posts, read 652,440 times
How about Woodstock?

Woodstock Vacations, Tourism and Woodstock, Vermont Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Woodstock is a little town in southern VT that is known for its quaintness and general appeal. There are lots of nice shops, general stores, covered bridges, etc. The drive and the surrounding area is beautiful. Billings farm is something fun to do. If you drive a bit further on route 4 you reach Quechee Vt, where you can't miss the spectacular gorge! You can finish the day with a romantic hot air balloon ride over the gorge and the surrounding forest.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,080 times
A few ideas.

First 3 are more in the mountainy regions.

The last link, Lake Champlain would be more water related..obviously.

Killington - The Beast Has Something For Everyone.

Things to do in Stowe, Vermont - Find Dining, Shopping, Activities, Events & More

Woodstock, Vermont Area Chamber of Commerce - What to Do

Burlington VT - A Great Summer Destination!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
This the Vermont state tourism site...you can explore all the diferent regions and what they have to offer. Vermont is small so you can stay at a central location and see alot of the state or stay in one area and spend little time in your car and relax.
The Official Vermont Tourism Site - VermontVacation.com

Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM

39 posts, read 168,809 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback, it's very helpful :-)

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
One place that you might enjoy is the Lake Champlain Islands. My wife and I spent a week there a couple of years ago and it was great. We were in a house right on the lake. For light outdoor activities there is kayaking and cycling, there are beaches, you can see the oldest coral reef (possibly in the world). There are some nice, low-key restaurants, and you're also not that far from Burlington if you're interested in night life or a little higher activity level. I would definitely recommend it.
Lake Champlain Islands Chamber of Commerce

Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Woodstock is great.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Vermont Hotels & Resorts | Castle Hill Resort & Spa, The Pointe Hotel, Ludlow, Vermont, VT

1 hour to Manchester, 40 mins to Woodstock, fly fishing right there on the Black River, golfing.

It's about 3 hours from Bridgeport, CT.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
I'll just throw this out there... My wife and I honeymooned in Stowe 2 years ago. Honestly, I wouldn't stay there again unless I was skiing. Here's why. It's a tourist town. It's probably the biggest "resort" town in the state. When I think Vermont, I don't want to deal with all the out-of-staters (even though I am one). All the rude drivers in town had out of state plates, mostly from CT and NY (VT drivers are very polite). It's also expensive for what you get. While Burlington has a lot of tourism, it's also a city. It's expected that there are more people. That said, we spent our honeymoon going to other places. We drove out to Cabot for the factory tour one day. We spent an entire day/evening in Burlington. We spent a day just walking around Stowe, which is a cute little town despite all the tourists.

We're going up to VT for a few days again this July. We're staying in Middlebury this time (after a couple nights in Hyde Park for a wedding). We're planning on checking out Middlebury and some of the Mad River Valley.

Woodstock is beautiful. We drove through there on our way up for our honeymoon (to make a stop for lunch at Long Trail). The Quechee Gorge is pretty awesome. I wish we had time to do a little hiking in there.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,287 times
Definately a lake home!! That way you have the serenity and peace of watching the sunset over the water...you can boat, float around on a tube....or take a short drive and go see all the other beautiful views listed above. At the end of you site seeing, you have those views to look forward to. However, if you just want to relax...there is nothing better than sitting by the shore of the lake, watching the ducks and geese while you sip a glass of champagne or wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont