Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,324,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
And the A&W is open for the season.
My advice is to show up early...eleven or noonish.
Mid afternoon isn't too bad **sometimes.
Peak of tourist season time dinner time can be Very crowded.

We usually only go a couple times a season and sometimes call ahead for take-out, usually on a weekday.

And while I'm thinking of it...
The Morgan Horse farm has tours I think.
We have an A&W down here. Is that really a highlight of Middlebury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,219,073 times
It's an "old school" A&W...drive in w/car hops. They used to be on rollerblades but not sure if they do that anymore. It's more of a "novelty" than anything. Food is decent but not memorable. We go once a year for the experience because it's kinda fun.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
It's an "old school" A&W...drive in w/car hops. They used to be on rollerblades but not sure if they do that anymore. It's more of a "novelty" than anything. Food is decent but not memorable. We go once a year for the experience because it's kinda fun.
I think the one here is like that as well. I've never been. The only A&W I've been to was in the Minneapolis airport where I got deep-fried cheese curds.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,112,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Food is decent but not memorable.

I love A&W's black bean veggie burgers. Mmmmm. Good comfort food.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I love A&W's black bean veggie burgers. Mmmmm. Good comfort food.
The cheese curds I had were good, but the flight back east was a bit unpleasant.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,112,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
The cheese curds I had were good, but the flight back east was a bit unpleasant.
LOL! Comfort food on the Vermont road, I can see. "Comfort" food in an airport leads to anything but.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Here's what we ended up doing.

After leaving Hyde Park, we stopped in Smugglers' Notch and hiked up to Sterling Pond, which took much longer than expected as my wife isn't much of a hiker and has a bum knee (they need to change the trail description to something other than easy or moderate, and the guy at the information booth should describe the trail a bit better). I loved the hike though and the pond at the top was beautiful.

We stayed at the Swift House Inn in Middlebury, which was awesome. I highly recommend it. That night we skipped fireworks, but drove up to Bristol for dinner at the Bobcat Cafe. My wife had what she described as the best burger she's ever had. I tried some and it was definitely in my top 3 burgers. The flavor was amazing. I had their meatloaf, which is made with venison and chorizo, also excellent. And we split a flight of all 10 beers they had on tap, which were all solid.

The next day we wandered around downtown Middlebury, checking out the stores, and had lunch at the Storm Cafe. While it would have been nice to eat outside by the river, it was too hot. Their food was excellent. We then decided to head over to Lake Dunmore to cool off. I really liked this spot. I'm not a fan of touristy places and this was anything but that. One woman we were talking to said it was the busiest she's seen it and there was still plenty of lake and "beach" spots for people. The admission was interesting at $3 per person rather than charge by car for parking (which is what our state beaches do), but it was nice that it was a flat fee rather than charging out of state people a higher rate (though that would be one way to boost state revenue). We spent a couple hours there and enjoyed ourselves. It was very relaxing and a gorgeous spot. We then took Rt 125 over the mountains and drove up to Warren so I could buy some Lawson's Finest at the Warren Store. We decided we really wanted to go to the Alchemist for dinner so we drove up to Waterbury, even though it was pretty far out of the way.

The last day in Middlebury, we stopped by Otter Creek brewery for some tastings, and then headed to Waitsfield over Rt 17 (what a fun road) to go tubing on the Mad River. We rented tubes from Clear Water Sports, which was a great little shop with very friendly staff. While it seemed a bit pricey, it included a shuttle and pickup, which was convenient for us. Tubing was exactly what we needed. It was extremely relaxing and refreshing, even though our SPF wore off before we finished and we ended up slightly burned.

From there, we headed to WRJ where we stayed one last night closer to home and had dinner with some friends at the Norwich Inn (notice the beer theme here?). On our drive back home the following day, we stopped in Brattleboro, which is way more vibrant than downtown Providence. It's exactly what I think Providence should be.

It was sad to leave Vermont, but we'll be back permanently someday. This trip helped to solidify that for us.

One little side note. If you are into beer, you should visit the Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro Bend. It's not easy to find, but it's worth it. Shaun Hill is the brewer (former brewer at the Shed in Stowe before headed to Denmark to brew). His beer is awesome, though it's mostly IPA. And the dirt roads we had to take to get to his place were in way better condition than 80% of the paved roads in Providence.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,127,142 times
I love the Bobcat.

Warren/Waitsfield area may be my favorite area of Vermont. I had an interesting experience in Waitsfield a couple of months ago. As I was getting ready to drive through the covered bridge I saw a guy in the bridge taking pictures. He was a very tall guy. He signaled to me that he'd be just another minute. He got his picture and tried to turn around but someone was driving at him from the other direction, and he spastically spun around to avoid getting hit. I said to my wife "what a dufus."

As we drove by him, I said to my wife "Is that Kramer?!"

Sure enough it was Micheal Richards (Kramer) from Seinfeld. Saw him several times that day. It was funny to see him looking like a klutz in the bridge,just like his character in the show.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Awesome story! I really liked the Mad River Valley. If there were jobs there, it'd be where I would prefer to live. Anything my wife or I would do would likely be in the Burlington area or the Upper Valley (because of Dartmouth).

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,802,607 times
This is cool - never heard of the Brewery Passport. I enjoy Rock Art but have not found the Wolavers or Otter Creek "for me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont