Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna be up in VT around the 4th of July and was trying to get a head start on what we should do. We're going to spend a couple nights in Hyde Park for a wedding and then head down to Middlebury for a couple nights.

We've never been to the Middlebury area or the Mad River Valley (though we did go to Siptemberfest at Mad River Glen last year). My first question is about what we should do while we're there. I'm planning on visiting the Otter Creek brewery and I want to go to Warren to pick up some Lawson's Finest beer (I'm a beer geek) and probably eat at the Bobcat Cafe. Are there other good places to eat/see/whatever while we're there?

Second question is about the 4th. My wife wants to see fireworks, preferably over water. Does Burlington have a big fireworks display? We were thinking about driving up there that afternoon/evening for it after we checked into our room in Middlebury (we're leaving Hyde Park on the 4th).

Anything else I should know? We've taken to just going with the flow and doing whatever comes to mind. On our honeymoon in Stowe, we drove out to Cabot, ate in Stowe, had lunch at Long Trail on the trip up, visited Burlington for a day, etc. On our last visit, we went to Siptemberfest, visited Magic Hat, had dinner at Sweetwaters, and hung out on Church St listening to Dave Grippo's band without actually going into the place (I wish we had more of that here in Providence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
The general store in Warren has good sandwiches. Up the hill in Warren is Sugarbush airport. Mostly a glider operation, you could go for a glider ride or take a lesson. There is a sandwich shop on the airport that was good not sure if the same people are running it. Closest fireworks that I know of are in Ticonderoga, best fourth in the North.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
The general store in Warren has good sandwiches. Up the hill in Warren is Sugarbush airport. Mostly a glider operation, you could go for a glider ride or take a lesson. There is a sandwich shop on the airport that was good not sure if the same people are running it. Closest fireworks that I know of are in Ticonderoga, best fourth in the North.
Warren is also a great place to spend the day of July 4th. I've been in this parade for two years and the whole quirky scene rocks:
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Healthiness: Warren 4th of July - in the Mad River Valley's Warren, Vermont

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Bristol (10 minutes NE of Middlebury) has a GREAT 4th parade. Starts off with the "famous" outhouse races at 8 and the parade at 10:30. There are fireworks too, but I think they are on the 3rd. Yes, Burlington has fireworks on the 4th. I wouldnt drive all the way up there from Midd though personally.
In addition to Otter Creek Brewing, check out Lincoln Peak Vineyards just north of Midd off Route 7. Really good wines. The Morgan Horse Museum on Weybridge Street is nice as is the Sheldon Museum in downtown Middlebury. Route 125 between Middlebury and Hancock is a pretty drive with lots of hiking opportunities.
Food:
Farmer's Diner for breakfast - all food (when possible) is from local sources.
Bobcat Cafe - great choice. Be sure to make a reservation.
Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes - need reservations
Fire & Ice in Middlebury
Rosie's in Middlebury (standard "diner" and "comfort" foods)
The Pub @ the Waybury Inn in East Middlebury.
If it's hot and you want to swim Branbury State Park at Lake Dunmore is nice.
Too bad you won't be around a week later for the Festival on the Green! Middlebury Festival on the Green - Middlebury Festival on the Green

Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! So many places to eat and so little time.

I'll have to figure out what my wife will want to do. We probably won't make it to any parades as she'll be saying goodbye to her friends up in Hyde Park. I'd actually prefer to not go up to Burlington, but her thought originally was to stay there again. I wanted to see a different part of the state, and talked her into Middlebury.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
As a beer geek, have you been to the Alchemist in Waterbury? If not, highly highly recommend a stop there.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
As a beer geek, have you been to the Alchemist in Waterbury? If not, highly highly recommend a stop there.
Yes I have. Excellent beer and amazing food. I think they had the best fries I've ever had.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM

274 posts, read 673,846 times
Do you have the Vermont Brewers Guild passport? We've loved doing it over the past year as a way of exploring the state. The Vermont Brewery Challenge - Passport Program Sounds like you would enjoy it!! And we've met some great folks along the way, including the Lawsons, personally. Great people, great beer!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
Do you have the Vermont Brewers Guild passport? We've loved doing it over the past year as a way of exploring the state. The Vermont Brewery Challenge - Passport Program Sounds like you would enjoy it!! And we've met some great folks along the way, including the Lawsons, personally. Great people, great beer!
Yeah, I have one. I only got it stamped at Rock Art because when we did a bunch of other beer stops on our honeymoon, no one else mentioned it to me. The unfortunate part is that we'd been to about half the places on there before we even knew about it. The girl at Rock Art gave it to us.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
Default Don't forget......

And the A&W is open for the season.
My advice is to show up early...eleven or noonish.
Mid afternoon isn't too bad **sometimes.
Peak of tourist season time dinner time can be Very crowded.

We usually only go a couple times a season and sometimes call ahead for take-out, usually on a weekday.

And while I'm thinking of it...
The Morgan Horse farm has tours I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont