U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 AM

43 posts, read 123,889 times

Advertisements

i will never ever forget the week of screams i heard about 17 years ago. my mom and brother had both heard the screams in the middle of the night. (we lived in an old farm house...no A/C. open windows with the fans that fit in)

anyhow, both mom and brother had mentioned the noise/screaming to me. but because i was on the other side of the upstairs, i never heard the sound. well, one night i did.

it was exactly as they described. like a woman screaming from a major beating. we had a bobcat. it went on for almost 10 days. i wonder if it was breeding/mating/in heat???

i was so scared i went and slept with my brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 AM

32 posts, read 86,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
From what I have read and seen on TV, healthy fishers can be very tame with humans. I could be wrong on this - I am not by any means an expert - but I don't think they are generally a danger to people.
I wouldn't want to test that theory. I think I have seen just about every pet out there but that's not one of them...

Any idea what the incidence of rabid fishers is?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 PM

16,803 posts, read 29,006,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I thought all that late night screaming was the neighbors having tax bill nightmares...
That was the LIers you heard....

Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
You're far more likely to meet an alien in VT then a fisher cat.
Amen. I don't know anyone who has seen one. I suspect most people who think they've seen one really saw something else.

Coyotes are plentiful though

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,570 times
was this the sound you people heard.
I was recording sound of a canoe late at night last night and this critter came rushing up behind me screaming.
http://firepostdigital.dyndns.org/Critter_01.mp3

http://firepostdigital.dyndns.org/Critter_02.mp3

the second sample is the closer one about 20 ft away, i banged the canoe as i jumped out

i didnt get a good look at it, but i saw something like a baby mink in the yard a week earlier, so i think it could have been the parent protecting is young one. And the minx looking thing was a baby fisher, (Martes pennanti) It looked very similar to marten pictures i saw.

I thought it may have been a lynx but i think the fisher is the real critter

Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 PM

119 posts, read 525,349 times
I know we have fisher cats in our back woods in Jericho. I have seen them. The local vet warns all cat owners about them.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:32 PM

111 posts, read 502,951 times
We were out walking one night around 7:00 pm and we saw a Fisher Cat cross the road in front of us. It looked like a big, overgrown Weasel. I think they are more common than people think. When we first moved here a guy told me that a trailer park here in Milton was having problems with Fisher Cats walking along the tops of the trailers and some of the cats disappeared.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,310 times
i woke up to that creepy scream last night. it woke up my whole family. i looked out the window after it got extremely loud and i saw a housecat sauntering up the road. (very wooded area) and sure enough, about 8-10 feet behind him was a fischer cat.although we were safely in our house, it still left us feeling a bit uncomfortable.yikes.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 PM

114 posts, read 268,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobug View Post
i woke up to that creepy scream last night. it woke up my whole family. i looked out the window after it got extremely loud and i saw a housecat sauntering up the road. (very wooded area) and sure enough, about 8-10 feet behind him was a fischer cat.although we were safely in our house, it still left us feeling a bit uncomfortable.yikes.
This sort of irresponsibility on the owner's part makes me beyond mad. Outside is no place for a cat in Vermont, no matter what. I pray that cat is still alive today. I lived for several years on Elmore Mountain in Morrisville. We had a fisher cat visit quite often, as I fed the birds, yet also had a lot of chipmunks and woodchucks, fox and mice around.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

119 posts, read 525,349 times
I agree - all house cats should be in at night in Vermont. Does not matter if you are in a rural area or the 'burbs - those fisher cats love a well fed house cat. House cats are no match for a fisher - they will lose the battle every time. Fisher also love the dawn hours to hunt- so do not think your cat is safe if you let it out at 5 a.m. I used to send my black lab out to do security check before I let the cat out at 7 a.m. just to be sure nothing was lurking around the back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or