Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,932,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I run a trackball, m'self. In fact, I loved using it so much for gaming that I switched over all my mice to wireless trackballs. I prefer the one with the ball by the thumb over the one in the middle of the mouse.

Once you get used to it, it's fantastic.
I had one of those with the ball by the thumb, loved it! But after many, many years of cleaning it and keeping it going it finally died altogether. I bought an optical one with the ball in the center and 2 buttons on either side, didn't take long to get used to it. One thing I won't do is a cordless keyboard or mouse, in my case a waste of batteries as neither leave the keyboard tray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I had one of those with the ball by the thumb, loved it! But after many, many years of cleaning it and keeping it going it finally died altogether. I bought an optical one with the ball in the center and 2 buttons on either side, didn't take long to get used to it. One thing I won't do is a cordless keyboard or mouse, in my case a waste of batteries as neither leave the keyboard tray.
Unless I'm mistaken, aren't all trackballs optical?

Edit to add: I looked it up. Some are lasers. Didn't know.

Mine are all optical. The one I primarily use is Logitech's Wireless Optical Trackman Wheel.

I just use rechargeables for my wireless devices. Some are getting pretty old though (5+ years)... so we are going to replace them soon. I like the ones in the center, but because my hands are extremely small, they're a little harder to use. (For the version I already use, my thumb doesn't even reach halfway to the center of the ball.)

At work, I removed the rubber grips off the bottom of the mouse, so it still moves. It's almost comical to see the NMCI guys trying to figure out my mouse. They move it and the cursor stays put.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM

They could be, the old one I spoke of was, it used rollers to turn multiple wheels inside the housing that were used by the multiple sensors, the new one has a single sensor that tracks the ball directly. The inside of the old one would constantly get gummed up from oil and dirt on my fingers, the new one doesn't have that problem.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
They could be, the old one I spoke of was, it used rollers to turn multiple wheels inside the housing that were used by the multiple sensors, the new one has a single sensor that tracks the ball directly. The inside of the old one would constantly get gummed up from oil and dirt on my fingers, the new one doesn't have that problem.
Ah. Mine has those rollers, but they don't actually do anything besides give a rolling surface for the ball to roll around with. If it gets gummed up, it just means a little resistance to moving the ball.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

This thing had 2 axles with a wheel on the end of each with slots in them, with little brass wiper arms that rode on the axles that were always getting dirty.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,709,051 times
Well what do you know, I'll have to try this. I learned playing fps games using a gamepad (something I considered ridiculous at one point :P) so I guess I might give the trackball a go
In case you're looking for a gaming mouse though, I've been using this one and I really love it, even if it's a bit pricey.
Yac.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Well what do you know, I'll have to try this. I learned playing fps games using a gamepad (something I considered ridiculous at one point :P) so I guess I might give the trackball a go
In case you're looking for a gaming mouse though, I've been using this one and I really love it, even if it's a bit pricey.
Yac.
It looks nice, but I've never been able to use styles like that comfortably thanks to my child-sized hands. But for a gaming mouse, that's not really expensive. I think I paid somewhere in the rounds of $65/each for my Trackmans (I bought three) about 2-3 years ago.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm currently using this one, love the 4 buttons, gives me primary/secondary attack and weapon scrolling.

Trackman® Marble®

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,118,291 times
So I've since picked up a mouse, just to hear that you can use a wired or wireless Xbox controller. GAME ON!!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
So I've since picked up a mouse, just to hear that you can use a wired or wireless Xbox controller. GAME ON!!
Game controllers are a liability with PC gaming IMHO, not as much control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games