Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times

Advertisements

Will there be a new Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo and.... Sega System in the not-so-distant future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM

195 posts, read 186,402 times
Sega has not talked about a new system since the dreamcast went into the red. Sony tends to operate on a 10 year cycle for consoles... so assuming they start talking about it 2/3 of the way through the PS3s life cycle you still have another year or two before they say anything though it is possible they might say something sooner since they are almost half way through that 10 year cycle give or take.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 10,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Will there be a new Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo and.... Sega System in the not-so-distant future?
I think there will be in the near future, the rapid development of science

Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Sega has been out of the hardware business for years, they are stricly software only.
The new PS4, Xbox, etc systems have been planned and prototyped (at least from a marketing and rough design standpoint), well, since even before the introduction of the PS3 and 360. Now the "when" is up to speculation. All the hardware game systems have had a life span of around 6 years or so. Sony has said the PS3 would have a lifespan of 10 years but that doesn't include the overlap with a new system, it's also telling that game development now itself takes 2 or 3 years so that tends to delay entry of the new systems. I think a good guess is we will see the new generation in late 2013 or 2014. There is alot of internet info (lots of it false and guessing) out there on the new systems.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Microsoft has been quoted saying their next system (Xbox 720?) will be out 4th quarter of 2012. It will be interesting this year to see if hardware specs are available for this system, and if peeks at it will be available.

With the PS2 still selling, I doubt that Sony is really pushing for their PS3 to become obsolete by the PS4. So, I suspect it will be awhile before Sony releases anything new.

Ian

Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Microsoft has been quoted saying their next system (Xbox 720?) will be out 4th quarter of 2012. It will be interesting this year to see if hardware specs are available for this system, and if peeks at it will be available.

With the PS2 still selling, I doubt that Sony is really pushing for their PS3 to become obsolete by the PS4. So, I suspect it will be awhile before Sony releases anything new.

Ian
You know, it's a little interesting that the PS2 is still selling to this day while the PS3 has not outselled the PS2. Probably because of the cost of the PS3 compared to the PS2.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I think it's really funny that X360 will most likely finish this generation in last place! That's even worse than last gen, in which they finished in 2nd. The PS3 has sold about 93% of what the X360 sold, at an increasing rate. i expect it to eclipse the X360 sometime this year. Microsoft should just withdraw from the industry. They just can't break into #1, which belongs to Nintendo.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think it's really funny that X360 will most likely finish this generation in last place! That's even worse than last gen, in which they finished in 2nd. The PS3 has sold about 93% of what the X360 sold, at an increasing rate. i expect it to eclipse the X360 sometime this year. Microsoft should just withdraw from the industry. They just can't break into #1, which belongs to Nintendo.
By your logic, Nintendo should have dropped out at least two generations ago. In the last generations of consoles, Nintendo was in stark last. So, if we go off Nintendo going from last to first within a single innovative generation, Microsoft has a chance of doing the same with their next console. I doubt it, but it is possible depending upon which direction(s) they go with technology and its use in a console.

I'm still on the fence about the whole "body involvement" explosion in video games. While I like the idea of immersion into a game, I'm rather lazy and don't want to have to twirl a controller like a baton in order to enjoy a game... or jump like a faerie to get my character to jump. My dream system would be similar to the system used in the .Hack universe. Virtual reality headsets with the use of controllers (and keyboards for those who prefer). I prefer "mind immersion" over "body immersion".

With the jumps in technology and imaging, I wonder which type of immersion the next generation will move to.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post

Ian
As previously mentioned Sony runs their console sales on a 10 year cycle, they have stated this numerous times. They had no plans to stop selling the PS2 until the end of last year and already stated the only reason they still are producing hardware is to support the software developers, They basically said that they will not kill production so long as the devs are putting out games for it. Based on their console cycle strategy they wont stop production on PS3 till it hits the same 10 year mark which would be 2016 give or take assuming the devs are wanting to move on at that point. Based on their previous track record they would likely announce PS4 formally either this year or next.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Nintedo could not regain the number one slot for roughly a decade either though, losing that honor in not one but two generations to Sony.

From an analytical standpoint it was expected that Sony would trail at launch then spike mid to late gen... I mean it is only the third time this has happened in that respect.

Microsoft will see their early sales lead as a justification and has pretty much already said they plan to announce a new console this year or next formerly. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games