U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 AM

137 posts, read 170,118 times
Question PS4 production starting late 2011 for 2012 release?

According to the extremely hit-and-miss Digitimes site, Sony is starting production on the PlayStation 4 (PS4) later this year for an expected 2012 launch.
The report details http://tinyurl.com/3m5szfm
Sony has long said the PS3 will enjoy a 10-year lifespan like its predecessor but there have been ongoing rumors for years now that the company is planning the PS4 for 2012 or 2013. The PS3 launched in 2006.
But, but i wondering that sony is going to give nintendo a 2+ year head start, and microsoft at least a 1 year head start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 AM

11 posts, read 1,480 times
PS3 had all sorts of issues due to it's late start. I am sure that window will be a lot closer this time around. Think about it guys... You come out with a console a 1.5-2 years after Microsoft and Nintendo, then your console will never gain any ground due to cost cutting measures (Cheaper part, shipping cost are down, consoles prices going down just to name a few) by these companies.

Sony has already learned that lesson hard with being late to the ball with the PS3 and I agree with xtop here that there is no way that they will repeat that issue again.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,774,072 times
Its nots something thats gonna happen anytime soon PS3 still has some gems coming.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM

10,784 posts, read 9,191,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Its nots something thats gonna happen anytime soon PS3 still has some gems coming.
Agreed. I just read something awhile back where one of Sony's reps said that the games haven't even come close to maxing out the PS3's technology yet. It's probably got alot of life still in it.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 10,833 times
People have to remember that when the PS3 first came out, Sony was still making and publishing games for the Playstation 2 for over a year or so. The PS4 may come out soon, but the PS3 will also still be around and Sony will continue to utilize both consoles until there's no sap left in the PS3 tree.

Personally, I think all consoles should follow that mold because all of the current gen consoles are just now being untapped to their full potential. Sure, the next consoles to come out can still be released, but it would serve better if they also worked on their current ones after the initial releases.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 AM

40 posts, read 37,661 times
also with nintendo they where only starting out with something abit more powerful than a ps2 and there new one the wiiU (hate the name sounds stupid) it is technically them catching up with microsoft and sony so it will be microsoft, sony, nintendo in the line up as the wiiU will be a 8th generation console that was suppose to be a 7th generation

Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 PM

374 posts, read 263,836 times
seriously speaking, if sony wants to be the next sega, they need to keep making consoles that nobody is interested in buying. people just started buying ps3s within the last 3 years because it was overpriced when it first came out in 2006-2007 (600 bucks) and now you're going to make a new system again. sony has no respect towards it's customers and like sega, it will catch up to them when everybody ends up messing with the xbox or nintendo instead.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM

229 posts, read 56,255 times
I really dont want the next generation of consoles to come out already, the current ones only need some minor hardware upgrades.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,296,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Agreed. I just read something awhile back where one of Sony's reps said that the games haven't even come close to maxing out the PS3's technology yet. It's probably got alot of life still in it.

Really? I thought I remembered hearing that Final Fantasy XIII pretty much pushed the PS3 to the limit. Maybe I'm wrong.

I really think that pretty soon, we will be at a point where graphics are determined by the abilities of the modeling/animation department than the actual hardware of the machine. We might already be there.

Take Okami for example; that game looked beautiful because of the original direction they took the visuals... and that was on PS2!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Really? I thought I remembered hearing that Final Fantasy XIII pretty much pushed the PS3 to the limit. Maybe I'm wrong.

I really think that pretty soon, we will be at a point where graphics are determined by the abilities of the modeling/animation department than the actual hardware of the machine. We might already be there.

Take Okami for example; that game looked beautiful because of the original direction they took the visuals... and that was on PS2!
There's more to games than just graphics, though. A content rich game with a full 5.1 soundscape and lots of rendered movement taps a serious amount of RAM, and the consoles will eventually no longer be powerful enough to keep up with consumer expectations. Battlefield 3 will give us a good idea what these consoles are ultimately capable of - but I know for a fact that they had problems reigning that game in - the builds crashed a lot because there was simply too much going on. I give this generation of consoles another year or 2 max before they plateau. I'm sure the PS3 is far from being phased out and done with, but Sony would be in a better position 2 years from now if they were already at least 1 year in to development on a next-gen system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games