Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,905 times

Advertisements

Here, anyone is the fans of magic the gathering? If so, how many cards having you own? I have 40 cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
I own zero cards and have never played but have always been interested in playing the video game version. I have just always been intimidated. Looking at the steam version of the game it seems that there are like 900 expansion packs and i would not know where to begin.

I use to play the WOW card game and that was pretty fun but too expensive for me to continue playing.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
I've been an active Mtg player back in high school and played a bit during college, I still have something like 800 cards stashed away an occasionally when I meet old friends we play a game or two. The Steam version is actually pretty fun and includes a robust "how to play" section, one can learn the rules quickly. This game is one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" titles so you can start playing in no time but it will take you a while before you're unbeatable, even when facing the adequate but easy to fool AI. Unfortunately it won't teach you how to build a deck, in regular mtg it's a crucial skill.
Yac.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I've been an active Mtg player back in high school and played a bit during college, I still have something like 800 cards stashed away an occasionally when I meet old friends we play a game or two. The Steam version is actually pretty fun and includes a robust "how to play" section, one can learn the rules quickly. This game is one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" titles so you can start playing in no time but it will take you a while before you're unbeatable, even when facing the adequate but easy to fool AI. Unfortunately it won't teach you how to build a deck, in regular mtg it's a crucial skill.
Yac.

Which version would i buy though? I really dont know which is the "real" game and which is an expansion pack.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
I'd start with the free demo (it's on steam too) The full title of the game is "Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers", anything more in the name means it's an add-on. Also from what I see many of these expansions add close to nothing to the game, though to be fair they are rather cheap. If you find you became addicted to this and want more expansions, I'd completely skip the "foil" ones - having a premium foil card is fun when it's a physical card you got in a booster/managed to exchange for something, on a computer screen it only makes them shiny which won't give you any satisfaction and will make them a tiny bit less clear. The full deck expansions might be fun though I only played the basic version (which contains like 16 decks you can use) so can't comment on how good/playable they are.
Yac.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM

lol oops sorry reported you on accident, meant to thank you + rep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games